Blue Stars - Gift of Freedom

I hesitate to make this comment because I don't like to single-out individuals, but the narration might be more effective, have greater impact and seem less superfluous if it were intoned by someone with a more mature, resonant voice than the pit guy currently doing the honors. Again, not to chastize one kid (I really enjoyed watching him perform on keyboards and admire his skill in that respect) but his voice lacks authority and the theatrical delivery that might make the script a little more palatable to many ears. Were the dialogue to be delivered by the stentorian voice of a James Earl Jones type, it would take on importance, weight and a sense of purpose that is presently missing.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hesitate to make this comment because I don't like to single-out individuals, but the narration might be more effective, have greater impact and seem less superfluous if it were intoned by someone with a more mature, resonant voice than the pit guy currently doing the honors. Again, not to chastize one kid (I really enjoyed watching him perform on keyboards and admire his skill in that respect) but his voice lacks authority and the theatrical delivery that might make the script a little more palatable to many ears. Were the dialogue to be delivered by the stentorian voice of a James Earl Jones type, it would take on importance, weight and a sense of purpose that is presently missing.

I see your point.. but I also like the idea of such important and mature words being spoken by a "child" -- in effect a more immature sounding voice -- particularly a young man's voice.. I imagine the poignancy of such a thing might be quite effective.

I appreciate you bringing that thought to light. Because of that perspective, I'm actually sort of looking forward to seeing and hearing it with the narration, now.

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

Interesting idea, as well, Stef. Now that you mention it, the "immaturity" of a young man's voice could bring a whole new meaning to the texts.

Oh my God.

Are we agreeing?? :wub: ^_^

:beer:

Stef

....just for the record.

You know guys, this IS a discussion group. THis is where we lay it out, let it out, let it go and get it out. Our conviction, beliefs, and thought are going to come across as black and white for two reasons. The way we state it and the way it is received by the person(s) reading it.

Just because the pros and cons are discussed, again with conviction, that doesnt mean that in the real world it will be received or assesed a different way.

Im sure nobody here would ever not respond favorably to a drum corps show, no matter what the show entailed, narration, singing, or not. I mean I even stood twice for the Cadets at each show I saw them. and cant wait to see Blue Stars. Looking forward to narration ?? on DCP ?? no way..heck no. IN reality, I want to get to dedcide if its going to work or not. Even if its h orrible, to me, I will still cheer, clap, stand up, whatever, and smile as I see the show, and see the kids walking and tell them great show, even quiz them on how they feel about narration .

We..ALL of us get too engrossed on what we think is right, and refuse to let the other point stand, we are all right, and all wrong at the same time.

Just wanted to get this out.

~G~

That can't be! I'll have to rethink my opinion.

See that you do. We can't have that kind of thing going on around here.

but the idea of what we just said grows more intriguing the more I think about it... and I'm REALLY starting to get excited about seeing it again, now.. really really. :D

:diva:

Stef

I'll just stay home, save some money and watch baseball.

I've had this thought brewing for awhile, and guess I'm just posting it here as it's the most recent of the "amp no amp debates." And I'm gonna lob this at Gmichael, but also know, I'm really speaking to everyone.

As a current DCI performer on a one year hiatus, but with 2 years left until I age out, I would rather people that don't like the direction of DCI and narration and amps and things to just not come. I love older school drum corps. It's what first taught me what drum corps was. But I even more so enjoy the current state of DCI and the direction it's going. In my eyes, we may be giving up some hardcore fans of the "sport" and in doing so, may very well be picking the every day person and making them a fan of it. Average Joe 6 pack, or heck, even my parents who don't know a lick about music, can go and enjoy a show now without having to know the source music or the true meaning behind some form they just created.

I wish there was some magical answer to make everyone happy, but there's not. Nobody is pleased all the time, except for maybe Hugh Hefner. :P But I know that in my last 2 years of drum corps, I would rather perform for 3/4 stands of people that don't know exactly what is going on but enjoying it all the same because they dont know amps and mics are new, then a full stand of complaining people that think what we're doing is ####. Stay home, I really think it may be better that way. We keep getting into these "discussions" and it's like a children's book as we all know what's gonna happen, who's gonna say what, and eventually, the 2 endings it will take. This is an amazing year of DCI. Would it kill all of us to either enjoy it and discuss the recent close score and even GOOD NATURED ribbing from old alumni who are PROUD OF THEIR CORPS, instead of talking about how I can't believe they would say this or that on a mic? And if you can't, hey, you're more then entitled to that, and I can even respect it. But I would wish you would give the current DCI people their respect, and think about taking your bat and ball, thanking everyone for the memories, and going home.

Wow, I thought that there would an abundance of posts on this thread immediatley....I should change the title to Cadets narration. I guess it seems to only be problematic and 'not durm corps' when the Cadets do it?!?!

Yes, it's a huge conspiracy against the Cadets. :worthy:

<big snip>

We..ALL of us get too engrossed on what we think is right, and refuse to let the other point stand, we are all right, and all wrong at the same time.

Just wanted to get this out.

~G~

I am right, and everyone else is wrong. :P