New Holstein, WI 7/9/06

For the sake of brevity, I'll just cover the musical units:

First up was the New Holstein High School Marching Band. I can't remember what they played. I do remember counting 8 guard, 5 drums and 12 horns and thinking if you could add those numbers to Cap Sound, what a difference it would make in CSs visual scores. Somebody's dropping the ball when it comes to the winter program.

Next was Evolution Winter Guard doing a rifle/flag routine to Black-eyed Peas' "My Humps". It was a nice program, but a little disconcerting for a 40-something father to see 12-year old girls singing along with the lyrics. :wall: But that's a subject for another thread.........

Next up was the Syl Groeschl Polka Band doing a polka version of "My Humps". Trumpet sounded a little strident and the accordian needed better amping (definitely couldn't make out what was being played).

After the huge blow-up Piggly Wiggly pig (that was reminiscent of the Stay-Puft Marshmellow guy from "Ghostbusters") was the Clan Donald pipe and drum band from Green Bay doing their version of "Slow Humps". Just kidding, people......... :sshh: But I've DEFINITELY heard enough "My Humps" for the rest of my life. It was sweet relief to hear some local tavern with a rock band on a flatbed cranking out "867-5309/Jenny". :rock:

Capital Sound was up......and blew the local civic bands away with a rockin' "St Louis Blues". There's just something about a drum corps being 1/2 the size of the local civic band and being 3 times as loud and ALL of you know it.............. B)

Kiel Municipal Band being outdone by Cap Sound. Also the Chilton Municipal Band. The only way to distinguish the two was Kiel was in black uniforms and Chilton was in baby blue. And everyone here decries drum corps as being too formulaic...... :beer:

Next up was some local DJ service pumping out............you guessed it, "867-5309/Jenny". ######, I go to these parades to hear VARIETY!!!!!!!! [/rant]

Last on was Blue Stars. If the sight of 12 contras on a parade route doesn't make you want to drive to the closest show, then you need to have the defibrillator pads hooked up. I can't remember what the parade tune was, but it RAWKED!!!!!

That's all for now. I need to go sort out the Tootsie Rolls from the Smartees now. :rock:

For the sake of brevity, I'll just cover the musical units:

First up was the New Holstein High School Marching Band. I can't remember what they played. I do remember counting 8 guard, 5 drums and 12 horns and thinking if you could add those numbers to Cap Sound, what a difference it would make in CSs visual scores. Somebody's dropping the ball when it comes to the winter program.

Me and a few others on here marched Nothernaires with New Holstein's band director Dan Witt.

I have to ask--was there a karokoke float?? We had one in Marshall. Singing was a six year old boy. His songs were "I Like This Bar,"Honky Tonk Badnokadonk" and "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere." He was pretty good....and those were some great song choices! :huh:

Edited by FrankBeMe

After the huge blow-up Piggly Wiggly pig (that was reminiscent of the Stay-Puft Marshmellow guy from "Ghostbusters") was the Clan Donald pipe and drum band from Green Bay doing their version of "Slow Humps". Just kidding, people......... :sshh: But I've DEFINITELY heard enough "My Humps" for the rest of my life.

Then, uh, don't see Crossmen this year :P