Mini-Review of Bellflower, CA Senior Corps Division

Hi folks--I was the Master of Ceremonies for the So Cal Classic Drum Corps Show hosted by Impulse at the Yary Stadium in Bellflower, California. Due to circumstances WAY beyond my control, for the first time in 22 years of announcing, I had to sit a table on the track as the pressbox was not available. Unfortunatlely, I was NOT able to see nor really adequetely HEAR the shows. Everything sound wise was going right above my head (except for amped pits--cough cough), and of course visually, pretty difficult to see things form-wise. But here's some general impressions...

SO CAL DREAMAfter giving up a GREAT and STELLAR performance at LMS-LA 2 nights prior, I was expecting the same today at the show. There are some definite musical improvements that I could hear, and the corps is the best it's ever been. Unfortunately, the corps as a whole is dealing with the inevitably "closing down the holes" cycle that everyone has to go through. So the drill I designed has to be re-done on the fly to make sure everything is working. That being said, there were some confidence issues, especially in the closer. TO BE EXPECTED, and not the end of the world. Dream is WAY ahead of the curve compared to last year, and especially compared to going to DCA two years ago. I think they'll be just fine for the final so Cal leg of the tour, and then they'll clean clean clean and get on the road to Rochester. Great solos today by everyone--but a special shout out to mellophonist Tony who has such a great sound. Good job. And great sounds coming from the contras...wouldn't that be nice to double your size to six, hanh? Dream's guard was solid with some GREAT contribution at times. Very professional performers out there that seem to be having a good time. Drum line had some issues especially towards the end of the show, and while I'm intimately familiar with the drum solo, I don't think the crowd is "getting it" as they should. Perhaps reworking the ending to give a finality to it and create a clap trap would help lead better in to the ending to the song. Just thinking...and last thing. The uniforms and the headgear REALLY help to unify the corps. Very nice look. And the guard costumes are interesting and cool to look at. Very nice job on whoever designed those.

RIVER CITY REGIMENT

Well, because of my vantage point, drill was impossible to read. It did seem though they were moving MUCH more this year than last year--so congrats on the step up in show design. But HOLY COW are they playing some HARD FREAKIN' MUSIC!!! I assume they are loud, but TECHNICALLY they are really playing some notes and a half. I'm very very impressed with them, and I can see how they could be knocking on Renegades door. Problem though is that EFFECT-wise I don't think the music is doing as much as it COULD be doing. Don't know how to fix it other than to clean the snot out of it and...well...that's about it. CLEAN IT! Drum line was SMOKING!! They really really have a great drum line--especially impressed by the bass drums. Guard was working hard--very talented. Two complaints...first...the corps uniform. I've talked about this the last 2 years in my reviews, and I know there's nothing that can be done about it right now. But to me, it's a hindrance visually. The coat needs to end at the waist and you need headgear. Personal opinion. Second complaint...they aren't going to DCA. I know there's nothing that can be done about it this year, but California would be WELL-represented to have them go back with Dream and Renegades. They have MUCH to be proud of. Congrats RCR!!! And nice meeting you Mac! And GREAT JOB CONDUCTING JULIE!!! You kept things under control, especially at that one point when things started to go just a tad south phasing wise and you seemed to react to it and get it under control--just as any GOOD DRUM MAJOR SHOULD!! You rock!! (BTW, I was the geek that said, "Good job Julie" while you were trooping the stands!!)

RENEGADES

I made mention in my LMS-LA review that this was the most "modern" sounding Renegades yet. I mean to say they are playing music that is not quite as accessible to the audience as in the past. There's no lack of talent or chops, that's for sure. And if you aren't familiar with "Adventures in Time", it may prove to be a challenge to senior corps fan. But then again--Renegades, in my eyes, have consistently pushed the limits of the activity as a whole, so this year is no exception. So what's your point, Turner--did you like it or not? I LIKED IT...I'm just saying there may be others that will scratch their heads and say "WHAT?" I'm being realistic, that's all. The show includes "Stairway to Heaven" which is beautiful, with great solos and small ensemble contribution. The ending of the show is probably where most of the accessibility problems will occur. To me, the impression was a really ANGRY sound, finally resolving with tidbits of "Stairway" and "Adventures" at the very end. I was watching the intensity of the pit, so that's where I guess the "angry" feel was coming from. Drum solo, actually, SOLOS, because there are two extended breaks, are a little on the redundant side. A 12/8 feel--and I know the drum line is still gelling--so they'll get cleaner as time goes. I'll say this is both NOT the Renegades you're used to, and it IS the Renegades you're used to. There's no lack of talent--screaming sops--great guard--solid drums--but from a programming standpoint, it is different. Can't comment on visual stuff--except for some marching issues, but that will be cleaned up I'm sure as time goes on.

Anyway--there you go. Not the greatest all-inclusive look at shows, but at least a little something. Senior corps on the west coast is VERY ALIVE and ready to kick some booty. :ph34r:

Thanks for the review Ryan. It was nice to finally meet "The Voice of Southern California", even if only for a minute.

And special kudos go out to Julie Holmen, our DM. She was REALLY under the weather, and it was going to be hit or miss as to whether she was going to be able to lead us onto the field. She did an amazing job. Way to go Julie!!!

Thanks for the review Ryan. It was nice to finally meet "The Voice of Southern California", even if only for a minute.

And special kudos go out to Julie Holmen, our DM. She was REALLY under the weather, and it was going to be hit or miss as to whether she was going to be able to lead us onto the field. She did an amazing job. Way to go Julie!!!

I couldn't let you all down! 24 hours later and I'm still not fully recovered. I had to call in sick and I've slep on and off for 11 hours and I'm about to go back to bed here shortly. My body is still dehydrated even with all the water and Gatorade I've had.

Ryan, I had a feeling it was you. Sorry about your vantage point. Mark should be able to get you a better seat at the Elk Grove show.

I couldn't let you all down! 24 hours later and I'm still not fully recovered. I had to call in sick and I've slep on and off for 11 hours and I'm about to go back to bed here shortly. My body is still dehydrated even with all the water and Gatorade I've had.

Ryan, I had a feeling it was you. Sorry about your vantage point. Mark should be able to get you a better seat at the Elk Grove show.

Hope you feel better soon Julie.

I like RCR's unifomr myself, gives them a unique look!

Thanks Lee!

I'm feeling much better today. My tummy is still a bit upset with me, but I expect to be completely recovered by tomorrow.

See you Friday!

Good!!!

Thanks Lee!

I'm feeling much better today. My tummy is still a bit upset with me, but I expect to be completely recovered by tomorrow.

See you Friday!

All-age corps is alive and well in Cali. I enjoyed all the corps from the pressbox, uh, behind homeplate, uh, between the PA systems. Three all-age is just the right amount to stir the Left Coast all-age pot. All 3 can kick some butt at DCA Rachacha, and two will have their chance. I totally understand RCR's decision. Next year will be here soon enough!

I'm glad you're better Julie. Seems some sorta crud was going around that bit a few. I'm glad I was spared.