All People Mad About the Bashers Bashing Unabashedly

I just wanted a place where we could talk about why it's okay or not okay to bash a corps, a performer (like.. oh.. say.. a singer? or a narrator?) a specific judge or even a director.

Seriously. It was asked in that other thread: "what is bashing, anyway?" And then in response, someone posted the wikipedia definition of it.. so I'm not looking for reasons why you think you should be able to speak your opinion.. without a doubt, we should all be able to pronounce and discuss our opinions.. I don't argue that..

My question is more about why we can't do that -- and discuss those -- like civilized people? It's also not about being flowers and bunnies, either.. because it is perfectly reasonable to be critical of something you don't like.. But being "CRITICAL" of it and "BASHING" it are two clearly different things. It is further and most definitely NOT about being "PC" -- because being critical doesn't always mean being "delicate" -- and it is sometimes painfully frank.. but true criticism tends not to reach the depths of insult... as we have seen and has been responded to in an extremem manner on many occasions here.

I think, for the most part, the denizens of this little planet of ours are of above average intelligence. I think, for the most part, we are also relatively highly educated (whether traditional or through the experience). If that's the case, why do our criticisms have to be so harsh? Is there no other way to express a dislike or criticism of something or someone without being insulting? And I'm sorry.. but MUCH of the criticism on this board is downright insulting. As a performer, myself, I think I know insulting when I see it.

Can we find no better way to say, "I didn't like that" than "sophomoric" or "second-rate?" At the VERY least, can we not qualify statements bordering on insult with a simple "IMO" -- even though "we know" it's your opinion because you said it.. is it so inconvenient to add a comma, a space and three measly letters to the end of a statement of opinion?

Maybe it's just me and I have higher expectations than I should.. but it would seem to me, given the level of intelligence and knowledge displayed by so many here every day, that we as individuals could find a better way to express ourselves than just being insulting in our criticism.

What do you think?

Stef

The whole problem with online conversation is that emotion is difficult to portray. That's why we have smilies

:) :) :):) :) :):) :) :):) :) :):) :) :)

Edited by dciguy01

Agree.

Ours is a passionate activity, and sometimes the passion gets the better of ya, though.

Reminder to all as well...if you see something you don't like: Hit the report button. DCP is only as "clean" as you make it.

:)

Agree.

Quit doing that!

You're freakin' me out!

Stef

No comment.

Maybe that's the best thing if you can't participate in a conversation reasonably?

Stef

I think Stef just wanted to use the phrase "bashers bashing unabashedly."

:P

DANGIT YOU GOT ME!

Here I was trying to pass it off as a real thread...

You're too smart for me!! :worthy:

And no, Bill, I am not bashing you.. just recognizing that maybe if you can't participate in a conversation reasonably, making NO comment is the best course of action after all.

Stef