VK News and UPDATE!

Since you asked...here we go....

How do you plan to overcome all the negative reputation issues associated with the old VK among socal band directors, housing sites, and former vendors such as souvie companies that were never paid?

It's hard enough to start up a corps, seems like that will pose a significant challenge to you.

Also, there will be incredible expectations of a new VK right away. Whether it's style of show, size of corps, strength of program, quality of corps or even competitive placement. How do you overcome that?

Do you think having a quality corps out in 2007 could be a reality? What chance do you give for a VK to be in Pasadena?

I think everyone wishes you the best and only wants to see the VK name remembered for good things, not bad (and there are many of them).

Let me see if I can answer for ya.....and thank you for your post

1. You mention the "negative reputation" issues with band directors, housing sites - first of all, I strongly believe that all corps come across these "problems" sometime in their existence, I have seen that, I've been around some of them, junior and senior corps, so I don't think this is really an issue....are those band directors still around? who exactly are you referring to?

2. Souvie companies that were never paid - again, which companies are you referring to? to our knowledge, and please take note, legally, since from the beginning we have had our corporate attorney look into all of this, no such claims exist from any "souvie" company.....

3. The challenge of starting up a corps - absolutely it is "challenging" but you know what? It is NOT impossible....and we are working EXTREMELY hard to accomplish that goal

4. Incredible expectations - how do we overcome that? many ways of course, but here are just a couple for you.....first, by having a SOLID foundation to stand on; second, by having a hard working, goal setting, driven board of directors AND staff with a vision and goals....

5. A quality corps in 2007 a reality? - why not? we at VKYAO tend to focus on the positive side of our goals, instead of the negative.......how to make it happen, instead of how not to....we are very optimistic, and at the same time, we realize that this is not an easy task........oh, but what a wonderful one it is......

6. What chance do I give for VK in Pasadena? Again, that is our goal for now.......and there are lots of people out there working day and night, as you can see by my post it is 11:33pm here in California right now, to make it happen....THAT IS OUR GOAL.....

Thank you again for your questions.....and comment of everyone is wishing us only the best......it has been wonderful to feel that. :)

Edited by VKSEC

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how come "you" decided to recreate VK versus a brand new corps? was the intentions from the beginning to do it that way? or was that just an option you picked from.

will the corps staff be mainly former VK members or will it be a staff based on experience rather than roots?

also will the corps be putting on a "VK style" show or will they go out and establish a new identity? and if it yes to a new identity thats not related to the VK of the past, why be VK?

how come "you" decided to recreate VK versus a brand new corps? was the intentions from the beginning to do it that way? or was that just an option you picked from.

will the corps staff be mainly former VK members or will it be a staff based on experience rather than roots?

also will the corps be putting on a "VK style" show or will they go out and establish a new identity? and if it yes to a new identity thats not related to the VK of the past, why be VK?

It had always been our intentions, not just mine, to bring back a style of corps that is so much loved in our activity. That was NOT just an option...it was something in the making for a couple of years now.

The corps staff will be hired by our Staff/Program Director, and it is up to his criteria, with the boards backing, on who they will be

Again, the design team will decide on what "style" or what show the corps will field......

Thank you for your questions... :)

Why these attacks? why shouldn't someone, ANYONE, seek to recreate/restore a time-honored favorite? Especially if they are serious about establishing the infrastructure first and foremost?

To MOST drum corps fans, they wouldn't know or care who runs the organization so much as "would I pay to watch them?" To MOST former VK, I'm sure that as long as the intentions and final product are acceptable, why not. To MOST potential members, doesn't the promise of a fresh, fun, entertaining corps sound great, especially if the the staff is well organized and the fundraising/equipment, etc. is in place?

There seems to be a couple of former Velvet Knights on here that want to make sure that people know this is a new organization and not the old one. No problem there, I would have to agree. But it's the members and the fans who will benefit from a successful program.

I say lighten up on the attacks. It seems that these new people have the best of intentions, and are taking the matter seriously. So give them a chance. Negativity will only serve to hurt their chances of success. Remember that this is about the kids, not about personal ego.

Why these attacks? why shouldn't someone, ANYONE, seek to recreate/restore a time-honored favorite? Especially if they are serious about establishing the infrastructure first and foremost?

To MOST drum corps fans, they wouldn't know or care who runs the organization so much as "would I pay to watch them?" To MOST former VK, I'm sure that as long as the intentions and final product are acceptable, why not. To MOST potential members, doesn't the promise of a fresh, fun, entertaining corps sound great, especially if the the staff is well organized and the fundraising/equipment, etc. is in place?

There seems to be a couple of former Velvet Knights on here that want to make sure that people know this is a new organization and not the old one. No problem there, I would have to agree. But it's the members and the fans who will benefit from a successful program.

I say lighten up on the attacks. It seems that these new people have the best of intentions, and are taking the matter seriously. So give them a chance. Negativity will only serve to hurt their chances of success. Remember that this is about the kids, not about personal ego.

To make things simple... the VK Board knows what theyre doing. Yes, there are a lot of things "behind the scenes" that need to be cleared up, washed and polished, and hung to dry.

I'm sure that the VK Board of Directors appreciate everyones comments and thoughts, whether they are negative or positive. They concentrate on the positive side of things to make sure that this new organization meets its goals, and believe me, nothing will stop them... not even a 20 foot shark!!

Mad props to this new organization and their staff!! I personally can't wait to see them on the field... whether its next year or the year after!!

To make things simple... the VK Board knows what theyre doing. Yes, there are a lot of things "behind the scenes" that need to be cleared up, washed and polished, and hung to dry.

I'm sure that the VK Board of Directors appreciate everyones comments and thoughts, whether they are negative or positive. They concentrate on the positive side of things to make sure that this new organization meets its goals, and believe me, nothing will stop them... not even a 20 foot shark!!

Mad props to this new organization and their staff!! I personally can't wait to see them on the field... whether its next year or the year after!!

THANK YOU!!! :)

THANK YOU!!! :)

Hi... when you've gotten VK back on its feet, could you bring back that little group from Bloomington, IN next, please?

:P

Hi... when you've gotten VK back on its feet, could you bring back that little group from Bloomington, IN next, please?

:P

sure....... :)

Just thought I'd add this to the discussion:

There's a guy putting out his own uniform ideas in the Extreme Makeover thread. He's done a sketch for some VK uni ideas:

VK___Fantasy_Sketch_by_Becorps.jpg

Playing homage to Southern California's "Board" culture (Skating, Surfing, and Snowboard), my vision for a resurrected VK corps organization involves a hip skater image, complete with Vans shoes, board shorts, and a hoodie.

Now, this is just a rough idea - a true concepts sketch - and I'm still up in the air over the validity of this idea. In my mind, the hip, urban image could be used to recruit local talent into the corps. All too often I hear kids say that they refuse to do marching band because of the "dorky" uniforms... maybe something like this - though irreverent in nature - may reverse that image.

A link to the pic in his gallery...

Just thought I'd add this to the discussion:

There's a guy putting out his own uniform ideas in the Extreme Makeover thread. He's done a sketch for some VK uni ideas:

VK___Fantasy_Sketch_by_Becorps.jpg

A link to the pic in his gallery...

I SO LOVE IT!!!! I sent the link to our board of directors already.......very cool B)