Sheet Music

I want to join a corp and i am just wandering if anyone can scan sheet music from a year they marched and send it to me so i can find out if i have what it takes to try out. (Madison Scouts music would be the best but others will work) you can send them to me on AIM or e-mail them.

lilbuddy918 -AIM

funkychicen_918@yahoo.com -e-mail (for an e-mail make the subject sheet music)

Thank You to all who read and send.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can contact the corps directly for audition materials. Believe me they will send you what they feel is most important to them. That is, if high fast notes are important for sops then the audition material will make sure you can play high and fast.

in all reality the music really isn't incredibly hard, i mean don't get me wrong you have to be a good player, but you don't have to be amazing. i've attended several different corps audition camps and honestly the best way to make a drum corps is to just show up. . . and well don't suck to much. i know that didn't answer your initial post but i felt like typing. and sorry all my bluecoats music is in oklahoma, which is not where i am.

hey Silver King, when do you get upgraded to Gold King?

its the type of trumpet i have. its a king and it is silver

To be honest, most audition materials will be very basic. They will all deal with flexibility (lip slurs) chromatic passages, scales to show off range and then they will ask you to prepare something that shows off your

a: ability to play with expression,

b: your tone quality throughout whatever range you possess on your horn and

c: your techincal ability on your instrument (control of fingers, articulation while maintaining solid tone quality).

In addition to all of that they are most concerned with your ability to fit in with the group and how consistent you become within the ensemble. This is where many average players make the line and superstars get cut sometimes. You can be a great play but if you are very inconsistent 8/10 times they will go with the more consistant player over the hot shot who misses more than they make good on.

And when I mention superstars I am usually referring to those musicians who are great players but average or below reading skills which in the early stages of the game are of most importance to drum corps. Reading is the name of the game early whereas repetition is key later on. If it takes you longer than everyone else to get the part then you might not be ready for that group.

Best wishes!

Edited by csugrad

i actually want to see some show music. I know that Scouts have the audition stuff on the site but i just want to see what they normally play ina show. (and i also want some sheet music just to learn something new)

Don't forget the one thing corps are looking for as much as technical proficiency, and that's attitude.

Don't be too proud of yourself, but don't be afraid, either. Be eager to learn and follow directions. Aim to please. Be willing to give of yourself and to listen to those who have come before you.

And if you just barely miss the cut of the corps you really want, know that sometimes members have to drop out for various reasons and there are former marching members reading this who have received phone calls later on asking if they were still available.

(Actually, that would make a great Fanfare column for DCI.org. I'd love to hear from those who got such notification and still ended up marching with the corps they wanted...or any corps...weeks or even months after they auditioned. Please send to boomike@dci.org.)

I think the reason I've never tried out for drum corps is attitude. I can play well (this very statement is indicative of the problem at hand) but I'm not a team player; I never have been. I was always most comfortable in jazz combo, jazz ensemble solos, ancillary band dept. responsibilities, instances where I pretty much had carte blanche to do my own thing and not really be a cog in the machine. I don't think this is unilaterally good nor unilaterally bad, but my reluctance to buy into the system, so to speak, or worse yet, be forced to buy into it by some guy in a Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops yelling in my face, has kept me off the field. I'd love to be involved with a corps one day in some sort of capacity, but I just know I'm not really the right kind of guy for the job.

Also, I have two left feet.

Edited by Studio Tan