Sharing ideas for reversing the amplified voice rule

How about:

Getting over it. The amp rule is here to stay, and some corps may use amplified voice. It is what the corps want...the freedom to use it if they choose. I am sure that DCI will address theuse of voice in the judging criteria in the near future.

You can ##### and complain all you want, but nothing is going to change.

There are many people who don't care either way, and will judge each corps use of amps or vocals on their own merit, instead demanding an arbritrarty rule change based on their own dislikes.

Just my .02

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just please keep in mind... it is in the way you present things, you can be respectful and present letters and Petitions and you will get respected back.

I had heard horror stories of people sending in hateful emails to directors. We don't need to go that route.

I do agree that something needs to be done on the GE sheets where they are held accountable for technical glitches after all that is part of GE too and I don't like the idea that staff gets to run the sound board to me that takes the performance out of the kids hands...that has made my husband and I the maddest, regarding the way some judging is going on this summer. We don't necessarily "mind" the amps in the pit, but the narration, vocals and singing..has (In our opinion) got to go...

How about:

Getting over it. The amp rule is here to stay, and some corps may use amplified voice. It is what the corps want...the freedom to use it if they choose. I am sure that DCI will address theuse of voice in the judging criteria in the near future.

There are many people who don't care either way, and will judge each corps use of amps or vocals on their own merit, instead demanding an arbritrarty rule change based on their own dislikes.

Just my .02

You didn't read the title of the thread...no bashing....we are discussing..if you don't like what we're discussing don't click on the thread..that's all. :P

And maybe..we don't WANT to "get over it"..(society's new way of dealing with controversy).."get over it" :sshh: ..I was taught to stand up for what I believe in....I don't think expressing our opinions is #####ing and complaining.

Edited by Lancerlady

How about:

Just my .02

Reading comprehension. Its a good thing.

But the last thing I want to see is a column on the sheet for amp related issues - otherwise everyone will pretty much have to use them to get some build-up in that column.

Oh I agree for sure, and there's no need to add a column. It can easily be added into another caption or two (in this instance...I'd say Music Ensemble and GE Music). But it should have been hashed out BEFORE they were put on the field. Shooting from the hip is not the way to go.

The purpose of this thread is to reasonably discuss ways that we who do not like this change to our activity can influence the powers of DCI to reverse the decision.

Just a point of clarification, there is no "voice amplification rule."

There is a rule making use of vocals in drum corps legal.. that was done WAAYYY back in the 80s, I think..

There is a rule making use of amplification of pit instruments legal -- that just happens to include all instruments in the pit which are not brass or illegal. Voice being a "legal instrument" since the 80s, it's encompasssed.

Also, to get a proposal before the BOD, you would just need to draft it. I believe you can obtain a proposal form from DCI.. though right now may not be the best time to request it since they run a lean ship and it's the height of the competitive season.. this would be low on the priority-o-meter.

It would also lend credence to your proposal to have the support of one or more DCI members or even DCI Board members.

Someone will have to be at the meetings in person to propose it.

Hope that helps.

Stef

I appreciate those corps who are still out there at least trying to do shows in a manner that does not cave in to the new ways that some are doing. I don't want to offend anyone with my own opinions, so I better keep quiet along those lines. Seems as though many around DCP forget that forums are meant for discussion. We all have our own opinions. Just so us drum corps fans do not become more divided than we already are. I realize that the younger crowd rules as far as DCI goes and us long time supporters get bashed and bashed simply because we give an opinion which they do not agree with. Seems to me that they should not bite the hand that feeds them.

I realize that the younger crowd rules as far as DCI goes and us long time supporters get bashed and bashed simply because we give an opinion which they do not agree with. Seems to me that they should not bite the hand that feeds them.

Seems to me that traffic goes both ways on that street.

And I appreciate being lumped in with "the younger crowd" -- at 37, I'll take what I can get!

Stef

You didn't read the title of the thread...no bashing....we are discussing..if you don't like what we're discussing don't click on the thread..that's all. :P

And maybe..we don't WANT to "get over it"..(society's new way of dealing with controversy).."get over it" :sshh: ..I was taught to stand up for what I believe in....I don't think expressing our opinions is #####ing and complaining.

Yes mamm..and I am standing up for what I beleive in...the corp's right to have the freedom to use the amps as THEY see fit.

The simple fact of the matter is that there has never been an instrumentation rule change that has been repealed and that will not change. A majority of the corps wanted amplifiacation, and almost all of them use it now. It is here to stay. Period.

I know that this grates some people to no end but there is a portion of the DC world that does support the use of amps, even if we don't like a particular corps interpretation or use. For the record, I dont care for the Cadet's use this year, but I do support them having the freedom to try things out, and yes, be cheezy or silly.

If it is crappy, then it will be judged as such.

How about:

Just my .02

I'm sure you know that I'm in favor of amps, even amped voice. That said, I have no problem with what the original poster is saying. They're displeased, even though I'm not, and they would like to see something change. Rather than blast the activity as it is, they're trying to come up with positives ways of effecting change, methods that will be effective without being offensive. I applaud that goal, even if I disagree with their position.