pittsburg kansas show fiasco

Basic rules that should be followed for staying safe in the heat:

1. drink water as soon as you wake up

2. make sure you do this 2-3 hours before your "warmup/practice"

3. make sure you have 1.5-2 liters each day and include 1-2 oz of ginger to the water to increase proformance.

4. if you lose less then 3% of your total body weight you are fine, if it's more you shouldn't proform because that is considered dangerous.

5. make sure you take in water before,during and after proforming.

6. if you feel thirsty during practice/proforming then you are "dehydrated".

7. if you feel "faint,dizzy" you should stop.

8. water breaks should come every 20 minutes and last 10 minutes to each 20.

9. avoid excessive heat from 11a-3p (that is usually the worst time of day).

10. make sure there are plenty of visable signs that water is available.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! when I marched we had to do the whole show uphill both ways, barefoot!! With TYMPANIES and MARIMBAS strapped to our backs! IN THE SNOW.......and all this after 2 months of soda crackers and PBJ's. I tell ya these kids today. Sheesh.

Ha HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Drumcorps baby, love it. b**bs

Sounds like Drum Corps in Canada!

Seriously though, I hope these kids are ok. I've had heat stroke and it is not nice. In the 70's it was not unusual for 10 to 20 kids to pass out at the end of the show because they just didn't know what they know today about hydration. We were fortunate that the corps my kids marched with had pretty good rules about - water, hats, sunscreen and shirts. Usually when the temperature hit 100, they sought out a place in the shade to practice or took things a little slower. There were days though that I know that even the hardiest kids were wondering what they had gotten themselves into. Kids are supposed to sit out when they aren't feeling well, but unfortunately no one wants to be the first one to "wimp-out". Good luck to the kids in Cap Reg.

I spoke to my husband who was in Pittsburg to see my daughter. The weather was brutal and it was tough on a lot of the kids. It's very different being in the midwest in the 80s and hitting Kansas where the heat index was around 117.

My daughter was one of the kids taken off the field suffering from heat exhaustion. She stopped sweating and started shaking and was taken to a triage center and iced down but once she cooled off, got some electrolytes in her and rested, she was fine. Many other kids did have heat issues too but the saliant point is they DID receive treatment.

I want to make it very clear that many members of the cap reg staff were on site, in control and doing all they could.. They were being pulled because of the number of kids who were falling ill not just in Cap Reg but in other corps and the emergency evac center was busy but they made sure the kids received care and those who needed to be transported, were.

They can't control a 117 degree heat index but they can make sure the kids are cared for first and that contacts are made. I wasnt called imediately when she fell ill. They took care of her immediate needs first then made the effort to contact a parent. I know it's upsetting but I'm glad her care came first and the phone call came later.

My prayers and thoughts go out the rest of the kids in ALL the corps.. I wish them recovery and health and to the staffs for discernment and good judgement.

I think as a whole we can use this as a learning experience as corps parents and supporters. volunteers. I have my own horror stories from a parent's viewpoint and find myself troubled that each year problems arise out of corps that are simply not staffed with qualified people to deal with all of the issues that present themselves through the course of the summer.

I'm not sure that it should fall to the corps level to provide for "wellness " professionals but maybe DCI needs to ensure that professional, or at least qualified people are made available to the corps in times where member health and wellness issues come to the forefront. Filling a staff with recent age outs isn't exactly my idea of setting a corps up for success both on and off the field.

As for the levity that is being demonstrated in this thread I guess we all hope to make the whole situation a little less stressful through the use of humor and maybe after we are all sure that our loved ones are not in harms way we will be able to share in that frivolity.

just my .02

Scott Sines

10:00pm - CST

Pittsburg, KS

88 degrees, feels like 94 - 58% humidity

Most of the kids are used to this heat at this level. Regarding The Cavaliers opening up their truck to Capital Regiment comment....most corps volunteers don't do just one job. They multi-task. I imagine many of those are working with the corps members that are feeling ill at the venue while many may be at the hospital or medical clinics in the area.

This is a call out to all of the people that are in the high heat areas where the corps are scheduled to perform. Check with the corps before hand but I would imagine that Gatorade and ice would be welcomed contributions. If you take bottled water, try and make sure it is without any minerals in it for purification purposes.

Anything that might help the corps cool down!

Edited by Cascade Mama

Here it is...

Pittsburg Kansas Show Delay

Police/Fire Dept Step In

Tuesday, July 18th, 2006 - 8:12 PM

By Jeffery Fiedler

The Pittsburg Kansas police and fire department responded to a call for assistance today from officials at the Pittsburg State University when several members of the Capital Regiment drum corps were overcome by the heat and humidity about 4:15 pm.

The Cavaliers were giving a clinic in the nearby college stadium to approximately 300 high school students. The fire department requested that The Cavaliers end their clinic to allay the possibility of a camper or corps member possibly succumbing to the heat.

Both The Cavaliers and the Capital Regiment were invited to cool down in the school's swimming pool. The fire department also set up a "mister" from their hook-and-ladder for corps members and staff to run under.

University and DCI officials agreed to begin tonight's contest after a one hour heat delay to allow the sun to set and the temperature to cool.

No members of The Cavaliers were treated for any heat and health related issues and are currently preparing for tonight's performance.