Champion's Fanfare needs to go!

202 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of finale would you rather see?

• Champion's Fanfare, as it is now.
    • America/O'Canada, retreat style.
    • Something else. Please explain.
  2. 2. Do you like Champion's fanfare and the current finale structure?

• Yes
    • No

The first part of my post comes from my review of the Tupelo, MS show last night.

Champion's Fanfare:

I HATE THIS!!! CF really needs to go away!! It in no way reflects the abilities of the corps and it is not even impressive as AOC was with all the corps on the field.I was on the very brink of yelling "Bring back retreat!!!" after Memphis and BD played the biggest piece of crap I've ever heard.

Both of BD's drum majors and one of Memphis's conducted the finale. It was obviously not in sync at the beginning. Memphis's tubas didn't know when to put their horns up and looked confused. I'm not saying that Memphis's tubas didn't know what they were doing. It is obviously confusing when you know your horn should be up and the guys on either side of you have yet to shoulder theirs. I think it creates a bigger problem with different corps of different styles arc up together in front of a crowd.

On the issue about smaller corps getting to leave the show early to get on the road faster:

What sense does it make when the corps don't even use this privilege? Memphis Sound was 2 hours away from Memphis and this was called a home show for them. They did not leave early because they played the fanfare. The Madison Scouts also did not leave early as I sat next to a group of about 5 of them watching the finale/BD encore. Also, another corps' drumline could be overheard practicing in the parking lot during BD's encore. It had to have been either Magic or Bluecoats practicing. Therefore only 1 of the 5 corps in attendance at the contest MIGHT have left.

I see no advantage at all of not having retreat. I think the DCP community should join together to get retreat back at all DCI competitions.

Edited by jblamb1401

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought of other things I should have put in the first post.

When I marched, the only time we had to meet other corps' members was while wating for retreat. Now, when do they get this opportunity? Also, on occasion we were allowed to watch other shows from other corps. This is probably almost done away with now.

One alternative to a full retreat would be a partial retreat. DCI could give the corps the option of participating in retreat or not.

If nothing else, I think the two corps playing the finale should be separated. Corps have completely different styles and mixing them doesn't always work. Judging from last night, BD has a different style and attitude from that of Memphis Sound. Lined up together, BD members could be seen looking around the at attention Memphis Sound members to talk to each other before the song started. I don't think that looks as bad when the corps are separated.

Edited by jblamb1401

There are parts of the new fanfare that are effective. Huge chunks need to be cut and they need to let the hornlines let loose. When combined Spirit and Regiment hornlines (probably the loudest two in DCI) can't get much above mf...something is REALLY WRONG with the arrangment.

I don't mind the retreat setup per se..I know some corps have taken advantage of the difference.

The Champions Fanfare is pretty lame..try something else!

There are parts of the new fanfare that are effective. Huge chunks need to be cut and they need to let the hornlines let loose. When combined Spirit and Regiment hornlines (probably the loudest two in DCI) can't get much above mf...something is REALLY WRONG with the arrangment.

Well it is a Jay Kennedy arrangement

Well it is a Jay Kennedy arrangement

Say no more.

I heard America O'Canada last year live for the first time, and I was amazed how beautiful it sounded. This year I heard Champions Fanfare and was also amazed, but only athow horrible it sounded and how much I disliked it <**> . Bring back America O'Canada ^OO^

How do you make fans mad? How do you make them say they'll not be back????

Keep this stupid "whatever you call it" at the end of shows ...

Seriously ... from a promoter's perspective ... not having retreat is a smack in the face to fans who have paid good money to put their fannies in the seats and cheer!

Please ... please ... it wasn't broke ... and it didn't need fixing ...

Now it does.

:(