Champion's Fanfare needs to go!

202 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of finale would you rather see?

• Champion's Fanfare, as it is now.
    • America/O'Canada, retreat style.
    • Something else. Please explain.
  2. 2. Do you like Champion's fanfare and the current finale structure?

• Yes
    • No

One word (I'm doing one word answers for the ADD people out there)

BORING

^0^

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They need to go back to the original version of AOC. I never understood why they felt it needed a bunch of extra ornamentation and why the ending impacts needed to be removed.

I have not heard "Champion's Fanfare," at least not that I know of, but I bet I don't like it.

God Bless America was pretty tacky, too.

As a fan, I loved the retreat. It made sense for the show to culminate in everyone coming on to play AOC. Then you'd have the scores, and the winner/host played the encore, and all was well. Just having the drum majors stand there for the scores is kind of anti-climactic.

Edited by Studio Tan

If corps use amps during the Fanfare it would sound much better. Just kidding...

Now we're getting somewhere in this thread. Perhaps the winning corps' lead vocalist could do the first pass through Simple Gifts as a solo? Followed by a mass drumspeak by the assembled batteries. Plainly this would address the complaints about Fanfare drawing no reaction from the fans....

Champions Fanfare is a pretty decent arrangement (from an excellent arranger) featuring Copland and americana-esque music

and it certainly has a place in the new style "retreat"

but

it

should

NOT

be the last thing that the crowd hears!!!!!

It would be great to hear Champions Fanfare AND THEN the G-bugle version (transposed) of AOC to complete the evening.

The current fanfare leaves the crowd cold and let-down. I think the posts on this thread pretty much speak for themselves in this regard.

I realize music education is a big part of what DCI is about now, and brass staffs don't neccesarily want tongues hanging out of the bells at the end of the evening....but this is getting ridiculous. Drum corps is also about ENTERTAINMENT, and many DCI member corps have been pretty short on it in '05 and '06.

Adding insult to injury is the Champions Fanfare at the end of the show. Nice arrangement, fails miserably to bring the house down.

What brought this change about, anyway? Can anyone "in the know" shed some light upon this?

I can only guess that fan feedback said that AoC was played out. Given how resistant everyone is to change, it was probably lip service. "I wish they'd play something else" feedback, then they do it, and no one is happy.

Sometimes listening to fans is a bad idea.

the new one is interesting to say the least. i would hope though with the stands packed on finals night in madison that america/o canada would be coming from the horns, not this current selection.

Doubtful. You'll hear "Champion's Crapfare".

As for the new retreat structure, I have yet to see corps high-tail it out of town after a show. In fact, the last show I was at (Mankato) all the corps members were hangin' out at Chipotle, across the street from the stadium. So, instead of doing retreat the corps are getting more down-time before taking off.

do retreat, and let the corps play off one by one. it worked for decades.

They should call it champion’s borefest.

It’s not a bad arrangement; it just doesn’t fit the situation. The crowd has been waiting for the scores to be anounced, and have been sitting patiently, enduring the local announcers awkward time filling banter, and want to get some kind of payoff with the 100 brass players in front of them. Champions Fanfare does not fit that bill.

Edited by argonaut