Spirit 2006 Question

I was wondering if someone could help out a curious alumni...

I have yet to see Spirit this summer, but from all the reviews i've read (and the APD), it seems like they are doing really well. People seem to really dig their show this season... but I was wondering what those of you who have seen the show think it is that is keeping them from moving up competitively. People rave about the hornline, but they continue to get smoked in music GE/brass by everyone in the next tier (the 11-6 bunch). Colts (who are right behind them in overall ranking) also beat them in brass very recently (head to head).

I guess what im asking is: in your opinion, what needs to happen to get them off of their little island in 12th place? What separates them from the next tier?

Thanks!

Well when I saw them - I enjoyed the show, but was not as "wowed" as I would have hoped to have been. There was also alot of dirty visual portions and music segments in the show. Once these get cleaned up, who knows what could happen.

Haven't seen them live, but I've seen the streaming Season Pass shows a couple times. No doubt about it they have an outstanding hornline. But IMHO, the drill needs to be souped up with a few more "WOW" moments. Nothing really strikes me as "whoa" or "holy &^$@." It'll be interesting to see how things turn out down the stretch for em. Wish em the best :)

I would say marching execution and intonation

But then again that's the case for EVERY corps

Edited by Huntington Mallets

I just saw them live at Jacksonville, and they are BY FAR the loudest brassline there (yes, louder then Phantom Regiment), they just have big problems finishing phrases. If there is a 8 count move, 1-6 are great; 7 & 8 are not so good. Any judge will kill you for that, both brass performance and music ensemble judge.

I just saw them live at Jacksonville, and they are BY FAR the loudest brassline there (yes, louder then Phantom Regiment), they just have big problems finishing phrases. If there is a 8 count move, 1-6 are great; 7 & 8 are not so good. Any judge will kill you for that, both brass performance and music ensemble judge.

That's very difficult to believe, considering all of the praise they've been getting this season. :laugh:

What's up Nichols?! Hope things are well for you. I got to see Spirit a good bit during all days. The corps is extremely young. The maturity and education level of the kids when they came to the corps was not as high as in years past. I think that has a lot to do with it. I would find it hard to believe that this staff is not pushing them for everything that they can give. I haven't gotten to see them in a good while so I am looking forward to the Georgia Dome next week. I'd have more opinions if I had seen them more recently.

Last night they had problems with side to side phasing and some muddied articulations. Enterances and releases were infrequenty totally together. The encore, in a much better listening environment, was MUCH better.

If they can clean up, and keep on keeping on, they will be fine. Also, I miss the soprano solo, and the features in the Waltz of the Mushroom Hunters MUST get clearner soon. in the show it was not good at all.

Edited by usmpiano

That's very difficult to believe, considering all of the praise they've been getting this season. :laugh:

Well, I was there; I heard what I heard. I never said they are playing poorly; I just said that they not doing the musical things that the corps ahead of them are doing, like finishing phrases. That, and they died off in the end. They are my corps; I'm gonna say if something isn't working. I don't have blinders on.

BTW, they were the most enjoyable corps at the Jacksonville. The Georgia in the encore made my year.

Last night they had problems with side to side phasing and some muddied articulations. Enterances and releases were infrequenty totally together. The encore, in a much better listening environment, was MUCH better.

If they can clean up, and keep on keeping on, they will be fine. Also, I miss the soprano solo, and the features in the Waltz of the Mushroom Hunters MUST get clearner soon. in the show it was not good at all.

Great show. Audience friendly; yet has some depth. Drill is comparatively less challenging; they may have possibly 75-80 sets in the show? (help me here?) Compared to 115-135 sets in others. Also, the Waltz production perhaps wanes compared to the others. Lost my interest just a bit? Spirit started off the show like a house afire, but the show got kinda long near the end. Just my humble opinion. I still loved them.

Jim

"I had amnesia once; maybe twice."