Suncoast Sound

I don't recall their drill in 83 as being all that difficult, but they didn't stop-time all that much. We got to know them very well that year and the next. Wish they had been able to pull us into finals with them...

Really ?? Revisit the high camera vids. An extremely well executed design of swift flowing, free form patterns with tons of transitions and sets that hit perfect. I would say fourth in difficulty right behind Garfield and Phantom, and SCV .

~G~

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish they had been able to pull us into finals with them...

How sad to read this as I am/was one of your biggest fans. They didnt need to "pull" you guys in, You earned and deserved it all on your own. Blame fate, the powers that be..., I cant imagine how it feels, but you guys were top ten material, easily that year.

If it matters, I'm just the "guy" in the stands and you definetly pleased ME !!

~G~

Suncoast Sound--ahhhhhhhhhhh...the memories. I think one my "regrets" in life is blowing off a potential relationship with a Suncoast Sound member who came to VK in 1986 and ended up being my seat partner--the incredible Sharon Poole.

And I taught at a relatively unknown marching band program with a relatively young and unknown drum instructor back in 1988...a one Mr. Jim Wunderlich.

And I agree--the 1983 opener is UNFREAKINBELIEVABLE!!! Sincerely.

Now--I do have a question. I believe Suncoast operated as a Division II corps for awhile, yes? Or were they similar to the new VK that isn't VK (inside joke before anyone blasts me...)?

They did come back, same uniforms, same style. I don't know about director/instructors.

They got really good, really fast in II/III and then folded mid-season in 95 under lots of controversy :(

Most of the staff and many members of Suncoast did indeed go on to Magic in 90, some even stayed there. We had members in MANY corps after folding in 89 (which was the last real year of the corps) I personally know of folks who went to Cadets, Blue Devils, SCV, etc.

Our membership in 89 was prolly 75% local (and by local I mean Central Florida, from Orlando out to St. Pete) and the rest coming from all points, including 4 from the UK.

I was in Suncoast 87 and 89, and then Magic in 1990. My good buddy Marwan is correct, a good chunk of the corps, including all the section leaders, came from Suncoast. However, the talent pool had been fading even in 1989 (you have no idea what we had to pull off to make finals that year). We had some really young kids come out for Magic in 1990, woodwind players, etc. Good hearts and they worked hard, but it was certainly a project. At least we won the Mixed Ensemble competition!

Some Suncoast members went to BD, Cadets, Star, etc, but most went to Magic, staff included.

And to reply to another post, Suncooast Sound uniform jackets were donated by the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. If you look at this picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:AFA_Graduates.jpg , you will see that the jackets are the exact same double breasted (and heavy wool) jackets with the gold buttons.

Interesting note to add, many of the Boston Crusaders are from Florida since much of their staff is former Suncoast staff, and they have winter camps down here.

Suncoast Sound--ahhhhhhhhhhh...the memories. I think one my "regrets" in life is blowing off a potential relationship with a Suncoast Sound member who came to VK in 1986 and ended up being my seat partner--the incredible Sharon Poole.

Was Sharon Poole at Pride of Cincinatti before Suncoast? I know some Pride people went to Suncoast because I saw Sue Kuehnhold doing public relations for them a couple of years after I marched and she was my DM at Pride. The name Sharon Poole seems to ring a bell.

Was Sharon Poole at Pride of Cincinatti before Suncoast? I know some Pride people went to Suncoast because I saw Sue Kuehnhold doing public relations for them a couple of years after I marched and she was my DM at Pride. The name Sharon Poole seems to ring a bell.

I remember Sue Kuenhold on tour with us. She was very well liked by all of us. We had a baritone player join us from Pride of Cincinatti mid-tour. I don't recall what his name was, but I know he was from Pride.

I remember Sue Kuenhold on tour with us. She was very well liked by all of us. We had a baritone player join us from Pride of Cincinatti mid-tour. I don't recall what his name was, but I know he was from Pride.

Suncoast had several members of Pride of Cincinatti join the corps in mid-spring of 1985. I want to say somewhere between four and six, not including Sue (who had already aged out but became an invaluable member of the support staff and later the corps admin).

I remember the slogan that was going around that summer, as PoC had dine such a great job of finding new himes for thier displaced members...

"There's a little bit of Pride in every corps"

I didn't read the whole thread, but we had a few people in the hornline that came to Crossmen from Suncoast... I think there were a few in 91.