Suncoast Sound

Can anyone give some insight into where the talent from Suncoast went after they dropped out of the top 12?

I was just listening to some of their shows from the mid 80s -- wow -- they were ahead of their time. You could put their show on the field today.

was 89 their last year at finals?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

89 was indeed their last year in finals. Dunno about the talent question....

a #### shame...but that;s what you get when you blow off an exhibition at the corp HQ of a company that's giving you 500K per year...

I cant agree with you more about the talent of the corps. They were fantastic. I remember seeing the corps in 1981 and they were pretty weak, but two years later in 1983 they were one of my favorite corps that year. Wonderful shows and they went on to produce some great shows after that of course. Im not sure how local they were in 1989 but I suspect that they were getting members from all over the south by that point so they probably went to other corps from all over. I do indeed miss them. I was excited to hear they were coming back a few years ago, even if as a Div II corps, but that didnt work out to

well.

I also heard that there was a Magic connection. A friend of mine who loved Suncoast called to audtion in '90 - she was told the corps was not fielding that summer, but that she should audition for a new corps called "Magic of Orlando".

She went on to march her age-out year there that year.

Later,

Mike

Most of the staff and many members of Suncoast did indeed go on to Magic in 90, some even stayed there. We had members in MANY corps after folding in 89 (which was the last real year of the corps) I personally know of folks who went to Cadets, Blue Devils, SCV, etc.

Our membership in 89 was prolly 75% local (and by local I mean Central Florida, from Orlando out to St. Pete) and the rest coming from all points, including 4 from the UK.

Also wanted to add that quite a few of the Suncoast alumni are still quite active in today's DCI corps...

Robert Smith

Frank Williams

Adam Sage

Bob Barfield

Howard Weinstein

Karl Lowe

Jim Wunderlich

Rich Viano

Tommy Santino

And that's just the folks off the top of my head...

And what of that 1990 Magic show ?? Brilliant, shocking...it was competitive, inventive, cutting edge and totally entertaining. Colorguard was outstanding and had SUncoast Sound written all oer it, as did the brass and Robert Smith arrangements. "Ave Maria" was one of thehighlights of the entire year, and......the "birth" of the drill that BAC loved to use year after year was born in that show...when the brass march towards the fifty, form a line and then expand out into a large box......Makes sense.

~G~

89 was indeed their last year in finals. Dunno about the talent question....

a #### shame...but that;s what you get when you blow off an exhibition at the corp HQ of a company that's giving you 500K per year...

Actually, it was a parade that the corps management blew off. The standstill concert in Phoenix,AZ at Circle K's HQ happened as scheduled.

Magic of Orlando was formed the next year in 1990. I know Robert Smith and some of the other staff moved over to Magic during that time. More than likely many of the kids moved with them.

Magic formed when it was realized that Suncoast would not be able to field a corps in 1990 becuase of finances. The fact is that most of the 1989 tour was paid for on the credit cards of the director. He kept Suncoast on the road that summer when they by all rights should have folded in mid-summer. We're talking multiple tens of thousands of dollars.

The staff's way of thanking him was to bail to Orlando during the fall and start a new corps.

Edited by Kamarag