SAN ANTONIO EVENING

A few things to keep in mind before I before I begin...

My seat was at the press box level but also on the 5yd line, so I can't really make too many comments regarding drill. Also, my knowledge of percussion and colorguard is somewhat limited, so I probably wont make too many observations on that. I'll be commenting mostly on brass, GE, and just the overall package. I'm only reviewing the top six corps because honestly, that's all I can really remember, and all I really care about. I remember more details in certain corps than others, but I'll try to write as much as possible for each one.

SCV: Don’t remember too much. It was a good solid show, nothing that blew me away, but I can tell that these guys are on their way back to where they were pre-2005. I've never been a huge SCV fan, but I have no complaints about their show this year. Everyone seemed to like when they exited the field while the show was still going. I think they did a great job of making their show concept obvious and audience accessible. This was also the first hornline of the night to give me goose bumps! Great job!!

Cadets: Didn't like it at all. I've been doing a lot of thinking about it to figure out why, because I've always been a Cadets fan. Here's what I think the problem is...When you make the whole show about ONE girl in the colorguard, It's hard to pay attention to the rest of the show. It seemed like the whole show revolved around the colorguard and that stupid rabbit. Also, I didn't understand why they had to have a singer. It didn't really add anything in my opinion, and you couldn't really hear her that well (maybe b/c of the dome?). Bottom line, their was just TOO MUCH CRAP going on…and WAY too many arbitrary props. When I saw them rolling that door onto the field, it made me want to punch a baby. It's a shame too, b/c technically every section of the corps was outstanding! The audience response was not that great either. People were sort of like, "uhhh…what is this supposed to be?". Both Bluecoats and Phantom beat them tonight, and I don't think that will change for the rest of the season. Cadets need to go back to the stuff they were doing pre-2004. I don’t really care about corps using amplification anymore, b/c I’ve seen a lot of corps use it in the right way, and it doesn’t really seem to be a big deal to anyone anymore. I think the Cadets abuse the privilege. I’m all for new ideas and innovation, but this show was just a joke and very embarrassing to watch.

Phantom: Nothing too memorable about this show, but it was executed VERY well. The main thing I remember was their slow movement and how beautiful the brass sounded! Phantom also gave me goose bumps and a chill down my spine during their ballad! Phantom always has a very rich, dark sounding hornline, which I love! Are they still playing on Kings? Whatever they are, they sound great on them. Again, I don’t remember too much, but their biggest strength is definitely their hornline!

Bluecoats: First of all, I marched here for two years, so they’re obviously my favorite. It is always exciting for me to see them get better and better every year! Once again, the Bluecoats blew me away, and were even better than last year. I think they had the first great soloists of the night. I think they’ve had that trumpet soloist for a couple of years now, and he’s fantastic! The baritone soloist was also excellent. One thing that I think the Bluecoats are finally developing is their own distinct marching style. If you look at Cadets, BD, Cavies, SCV, you’ll notice they all have a VERY distinct marching style that is the same every year. You look at these guys march and EVERY person is the same! In the Bluecoats you used to be able to always find a few weak marchers…but not this year!! This was the first corps of the night to get a few “oooohhhs” and “aaaahhhs”. However, as good as their show was, it was just no match for Cavies and BD…which brings me to my next point….The Bluceoats are at a point now where they can pretty much march and play just as well as any other top 5 corps. I think all they need now is a REALLY good show. Don’t get me wrong, the Bluecoats always have great shows, but they have never had a show that absolutely blows you away…and that is what they’ll need if they ever want to win a championship. However, they are definitely headed in the right direction…every year they get more innovative and more mature looking/sounding. My only complaint of their show is that they always tend to do a lot of “ballet” type stuff for their choreography, which is okay….they execute it superbly, but honestly it gets a little old after a while. I remember I hated doing it when I marched, and I hate watching it. No big deal though, it’s just that I prefer the more athletic/masculine choreography like the Cavaliers do. Anyways, excellent job Blue! Keep up the good work!!

Cavaliers: I have always been a huge Cavies fan, and I think this show was perfect for them! As good as all the other corps were, they are just no match for these guys (regardless of what they scores say). This show probably the most innovative show I have ever seen, and I think whoever is on their design team is a genius….seriously!! I have been thinking a lot lately about what makes the Cavaliers so much more entertaining than everyone else, and here’s the conclusion I’ve reached: Their shows are based on ‘concepts’ or ‘ideas’ rather than trying to tell a story that no one can understand (Cadets). They take that concept and present it in a way that is always accessible to the audience. You could have no idea what their show is about and easily figure it out only seconds into the show (which is how I think all shows should be). I don’t like stuff you have to think about too much. This show literally had the entire audience on the edge of their seats the entire show. It seemed like every 10 seconds there was some sort of gimmick that either made you laugh or made you jaw drop. I also notice every year that their colorguard is very well integrated to the drill. Some shows you feel like the guard is just kind of there off to the side of the hornline. With the Cavies, it’s all one package. There is also something about their marching technique that makes everything they do look effortless. I think it’s b/c of the exaggerated bend in the knees on the forward and backward marching, and also the relaxed upper body position. As good as some other corps are at the straight leg technique, they still look a little more tense than the Cavaliers. My only complaint for this show is the ending. From what I’ve heard, the final ending hasn’t gone in yet, so it doesn’t worry me at all. The current ending wasn’t bad at all, but a new ending would make this show an absolute masterpiece!! Anyway, this would have to be one of my all time favorite Cavalier shows, I think I will always like 2002 the best, but “Machine” is definitely a close second! Great job guys!!

Blue Devils: Absolutely loved it!!! Again, a very audience accessible show. I have never been a BD fan however. The only other BD show I have ever liked was 2002, but I also loved this one. I usually find their shows to be very choppy, and to not flow very well. Their drill is usually pretty boring as well. This year it was a lot better though! Someone else on these forums mentioned earlier that this was the first time in several years that BD hasn’t done the “Daaaah, Daaaah, Dah-Dah, Daaaah, Daaaah” thing in their music. Anyone else know what I’m talking about here? Hehe, anyway it was such a relief not to hear that this year! BD always has great trumpet solos, and this year was no exception. The opening trumpet solo was absolutely gorgeous! Blue Devils did the encore after the show and it was GREAT!! Loud as CRAP!!! I moved down to the lower section of the stadium centered right in front of them. Being on the 5yd line sucked a lot b/c you feel like all the sound is going right past you. This was driving me absolutely CRAZY, so it was nice to finally hear some sound. Plus, a lot of the sound gets lost when you’re in a dome anyway. Again, great year for BD! Keep it up!!

I think this is turning out to be a great year for DCI and it’s going to be a blood bath for these top five corps all the way until the end! I know it’s stupid and immature to make predictions for finals, but here’s what I think will happen:

1. Cavaliers

2. Blue Devils

3. Bluecoats

4. Phantom

5. Cadets

6. SCV

….or maybe that’s just what I would like to see happen, I don’t know….I’m sticking with that, so we’ll see!

Good review... Really concise and spot on... I think the top 3-4 spots are totally up for grabs... And I'm so happy my Vanguard is back...

And by the way, we'll continue to disagree on the Cadets stuff... lol

(BTW, the reviewer is my roommate, and we have VERY differing opinions on the amps, woodwinds, electronics debate... HAHA)

this was the first time in several years that BD hasn’t done the “Daaaah, Daaaah, Dah-Dah, Daaaah, Daaaah” thing in their music. Anyone else know what I’m talking about here? Hehe, anyway it was such a relief not to hear that this year!

Yep...started in 2003 and is in 5

yeah, i stopped reading this review when you said "I'm only reviewing the top six corps because honestly, that's all I can really remember, and all I really care about" HOW RUDE?!?!? There are some VERY good corps who didnt make the top 6 you know. And also the fact that you had the crappiest seats and don't know much about percussion or color guard didn't make me want to read any of your review either, because honestly you sound like you don't have a clue about drum corps period!

If he was interested in the top 6 only, so what?

He reviewed what he reviewed

Your last statement, though not directed at me, is far more insulting that anything he said

Great review man....I feel the same way as you on the top three corps....I am a huge fan of both BD and Cavies shows, and wish them both the best of success. I won't be disappointed if either get the championship. Both have very good shows, and are both demanding in completely different ways. All corps are great this year, and I do wish them the best of success in Madison.

I don't see anything wrong with him being straight-forward and reviewing only the corps he chooses to. Frankly, be happy that this person took the time to let you have a glimpse of one perspective of the show. I'd rather he review what he's interested in, than give a half-hearted representation of the other corps.

For a first post, you did very well, in my opinion. Youl stated yours (opinions) and framed your remarks from there. No fair persons should flame you for your honesty, whether they agree with your views or not. Congratulations and thanks for a job well done. :)

yeah, i stopped reading this review when you said "I'm only reviewing the top six corps because honestly, that's all I can really remember, and all I really care about" HOW RUDE?!?!? There are some VERY good corps who didnt make the top 6 you know. And also the fact that you had the crappiest seats and don't know much about percussion or color guard didn't make me want to read any of your review either, because honestly you sound like you don't have a clue about drum corps period!

I suppose I could have re-phrased "all I really care about". I have respect for all corps...it's just that at this point in the season, people tend to focus on the more elite corps. I didn't mean to come off as a jerk. As far as my knowledge of drum corps, I'm a brass player so that's naturally what my attention is drawn to during a show. I have two years of experience, so I do know a thing or two. While this doesn't make me an expert, I think I made at least a few comments that would be worth considering. In fact, I don't think you necessarily have to have any drum corps experience, or much knowledge of the activity at all to make intellegent comments. Sometimes it can be just as interesting to hear an "outsider's" opinion.

Again, didn't mean to offend anyone....please don't take this stuff too seriously guys, it's just for fun. Let's just stick to constructive criticism :)

There was nothing wrong with the review