Does DCI announce Finals judges ahead of time?

Oh my goodness... Sour Grapes! :sshh:

From what I've seen from both of these shows, Cavies should be beating Blue Devils in GE Visual... It's just a different league between the two corps.

Different leagues i do not agree with . Have you ever read the judges paper on the value of a tenth ?? And what spreads really mean ?

I have no issue with Cavies winning GE visual in SA . But they are hardly in different leagues. Different approaches ?/ Absolutly !

And you may favor one over the other . But as a judge on effect you make the call that night . And up to us to understand the value of a tenth .

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Different leagues i do not agree with . Have you ever read the judges paper on the value of a tenth ?? And what spreads really mean ?

I have no issue with Cavies winning GE visual in SA . But they are hardly in different leagues. Different approaches ?/ Absolutly !

And you may favor one over the other . But as a judge on effect you make the call that night . And up to us to understand the value of a tenth .

The value of a tenth? A spread is a spread. All it means is that a judge thought Cavies are .6 better than BD. There are multiple sub captions (boxes) within the GE visual category and if Cavies were better than BD in every sub-caption than that could easily account for the spread. To me BD's show is not at all effective from a visual standpoint. I have said it before if BD's guard was not on a different planet they would be 1.6 behind the Cavies.

Let me see if I got this straight.

If DCI, (the top 12) pick the judges for finals ahead of time and don't release the names of the judges until the night before quarters....wouldn't they (the top 12) know who's judging before the names are released anyway ? B) :huh::blink::rock:

Let me see if I got this straight.

If DCI, (the top 12) pick the judges for finals ahead of time and don't release the names of the judges until the night before quarters....wouldn't they (the top 12) know who's judging before the names are released anyway ? B) :huh::blink::rock:

No . They dont. We can get a good idea based on who we have seen where . But we dont always know/ And Do not know what day or caption until wednesday night of that week .

The value of a tenth? A spread is a spread. All it means is that a judge thought Cavies are .6 better than BD. There are multiple sub captions (boxes) within the GE visual category and if Cavies were better than BD in every sub-caption than that could easily account for the spread. To me BD's show is not at all effective from a visual standpoint. I have said it before if BD's guard was not on a different planet they would be 1.6 behind the Cavies.

No , that is what i am saying. Part of judge training involves numbers management. The more you understand the value of a tenth the more you will understand what a spread means.You may think not much difference between .3 or .4 but in a subcaption it makes the difference between we can catch them or it might be too much to overcome with that judge. Spreads are not randomly set by each judge. There is a method to arrive at the spread Is all i am saying.