"Coltrin & Associates" DCI Southeastern Championship?

Yeah, right!! :blink:

The Fifth Third Glassmen

U.S. Cellular Cavaliers

Rockford Star Regiment

Heinz Cadets

Spirit of Coca-Cola

SOUNDS GREAT!! :(

I don't see anyone complaining in this thread? :whistle: I've even pitched the idea to DCI myself when I worked at Walmart and tried to get them involved with it as well. They did donate money to Magic a couple of years ago cause I asked. And the Kennesaw show they also donated to the food drive as long as they got mentioned at the show, and the folks who ran the show did that. Even though I have seen threads where people can't stand Walmart they have done some good for this activity as well. So..anyway...

I agree...it will probably be the only thing that can save this activity the way things are going.

Steph - I was referring to the above comments. I don't think it is expressing pleasure in the sponsorship.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steph - I was referring to the above comments. I don't think it is expressing pleasure in the sponsorship.

OH, okay... :) You know I'm here in Kissimmee and I went all over town trying to get sponsorships for Magic a couple of years ago, I thought it would've been a brilliant idea to get Sam's Club or something like that to sponsor a corps food since corps buy in bulk. Nobody wanted to continue on with the idea. I actually had "Home Depot", "Lowes" and even some restaurants interested, like the Darden restaurants. You can usually go to their websites and download information about how to submit requests for donations to non profit organizations. If I was running a corps I'd at least be trying to do that. It'd save on costs, Heck if you could get food donated to your corps as long as you advertised or something, what a great idea. I think anyway.

A little "off topic" but I saw this commerical for a store called "Shoe Carnival" where some drum lines were playing and the catch phrase was "march on in to Shoe Carnival for a great deal". And they were doing corps style playing...I was thinking that'd be something else DCI should get involved with for shoes for corps. Anyway...just thinking out loud.

Edited by Lancerlady

Heh...we actually courted CocaCola for a while for a sponsorship after WXIA pulled the plug in the late 70s. We never got anywhere with them, or the other hosts of folks that we approached like Ted Turner, TBS, you name it...if they were in Atlanta, we tried to talk to them.

I remember Freddy saying that if he could secure a sponsorship from Coke, he would change the colors to red and White, put "coca cola" on everything the corps owned, do commercials, etc etc..

OH, okay... :) You know I'm here in Kissimmee and I went all over town trying to get sponsorships for Magic a couple of years ago, I thought it would've been a brilliant idea to get Sam's Club or something like that to sponsor a corps food since corps buy in bulk. Nobody wanted to continue on with the idea. I actually had "Home Depot", "Lowes" and even some restaraunts interested, like the Darden restaruants. You can usually go to their websites and download information about how to submit requests for donations to non profit organizations. If I was running a corps I'd at least be trying to do that. It'd save on costs, Heck if you could get food donated to your corps as long as you advertised or something, what a great idea. I think anyway.

A little "off topic" but I saw this commerical for a store called "Shoe Carnival" where some drum lines where playing and the catch phrase was "march on in to Shoe Carnival for a great deal". And they were doing corps style playing...I was thinking that'd be something else DCI should get involved with for shoes for corps. Anyway...just thinking out loud.

Crown did a commercial for the NC education lottery last spring..playing a...gasp! BAND, but..good $$ and exposure, too!

OH, okay... :) You know I'm here in Kissimmee and I went all over town trying to get sponsorships for Magic a couple of years ago, I thought it would've been a brilliant idea to get Sam's Club or something like that to sponsor a corps food since corps buy in bulk.

Everytime I go to Sam's Club in Hilliard the number one buyer listed on the wall is always Capital Regiment.

Hyperbole much?

ALWAYS!!!

Yes, bring on the sponsors!

Get with it. We cannot afford our own activity if we want it to go without corporate help. Thanks to Coltrin & Associates! I will make sure to find out what they do (Communications) and see if I can look to them for any services. We lose nothing. Yes we have another reminder that the era of Boy Scout Troops and Church Groups sponsoring corps is dead. But that was dead years ago. Get over it. And don't bite the hand that feeds you on these boards. They are supporting something that you care very much about.

Amen to this. There is a link at the bottom of the article on the dci website. (http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=cca7f9c2-e949-4f3d-8c6c-da9e375a1684) Be sure to click the link and investigate the site. Referrals are tracked and it is one way I feel we can show interest and appreciation of the sponsorship.

From what I've learned in trying to grasp the gestalt of drum corps, corporate sponsorship is very much needed and difficult to come by as there is no perceived financial reward. I don't exactly understand that myself. I thought the opportunity of advertising in your target audience was the the name of the game, but possibly the size of the audience is a factor.

I may not understand yet, but it still seems to me that some of the reasons behind amps and rule changes, vocal and props are also a matter of economics and survival.

Yes, bring on the sponsors!

DCI is chided for not going out and finding corporate money to support our narrow, expensive interest. Then there are those who jump on them for doing it. We already have sponsors. Notice the banners in the stadiums across the field? What about the Spirit from JSU? Isn't JSU a sponsor? The Cavaliers would have a tough time making up for the lack of their tight relationship with the village of Rosemont. It goes on and on. Soon Finals Week and the DCI offices will be sponsored by the City of Indiannapolis and I will be thankful.

Get with it. We cannot afford our own activity if we want it to go without corporate help. Thanks to Coltrin & Associates! I will make sure to find out what they do (Communications) and see if I can look to them for any services. We lose nothing. Yes we have another reminder that the era of Boy Scout Troops and Church Groups sponsoring corps is dead. But that was dead years ago. Get over it. And don't bite the hand that feeds you on these boards. They are supporting something that you care very much about.

OK, I've calmed down. Now I can drive to Atlanta and scream my head off at the COLTRIN & ASSOCIATES DCI SOUTHEASTERN CHAMPIONSHIPS. I will cheer for Coltrin...why I will even cheer for the associates.

I see that Coltrin & Associates is some kind of PR firm... but what is their connection to DCI? Why would a PR firm buy the naming rights to a drum corps show?

From the press release I received and posted earlier:

Coltrin was introduced to Drum Corps International through his then 14-year-old son, Wilson, who is an active participant in the drum corps activity. He has been impressed with the personal growth and development Wilson has experienced through his membership in the Jersey Surf, a Drum Corps International unit based in southern New Jersey.

Full Article