Official Mid-Season Changes Topic

Cavies- Love the muted trumpets after the second number...sounds great! I thought they were kazoos at first. Definitely an excellent change. The new trumpet duet is also great.

Phantom- Not too fond of the added drumline in the ballad. It fits, but it sounded better without them. Not a big detractor, though. But all the other changes they made...man. This show is now a complete masterpiece. The end of the opener is nothing short of amazing, as is the end of the show where all the themes come into play, and the corps rushes the front sideline with their loud chordal ending. :rolleyes:

Blue Devils- The extra-long swing section in the middle is awesome! I would prefer they leave the voiceover out, but I don't mind it at all. After all, I can always edit it out on the MP3 before putting it on my iPod after finals. It's certainly the least obtrusive of amped vocals I've ever seen, and it certainly doesn't detract from the spectacular show that this is.

Bluecoats- The new trumpet solo is great. They took out some stuff after the introduction that I liked, and I'm sad to see it go. Liked the steel drum feature in the Tihai. Other than that, the program seems relatively the same, besides the fact that that baritone solo sounds more and more beautiful as the season goes on. Great solo in a great ballad in a great show.

Crown- Took out the beginning part of the intro to the opener with the trumpets, and changed the push to more reflect the end of the show. I'm not too fond of taking out the trumpets in the beginning; why was this done? Not sure if the big push is better now, because it used to be the entire corps entered at the big hit, but now just the trumpets come in first, then the rest of the brass. Not as impactful, but it's still a great moment. It would take a lot to turn this incredible Crown show bad.

SCV- Took out a chunk of the opener that I really liked, but oh well. Parts are COMPLETELY watered down, which is never good, but if it increases their visual scores, that's good. Another excellent SCV show full of depth, as I'm accustom to from them. (If you haven't noticed, the single guard member at the very beginning of the show, with an orange flag meant to represent fire, runs across the field and "ignites" the corps, which is precisely when the music starts. So cool.)

Cadets- Changed ending was necessary. Improves the show but nowhere near makes up for the travesties that are the introduction, the percussion feature, and the ballad. Took out two lines in the percussion feature, "Can somebody just tell me where we are!?" and "Do they always have to do that?" Probably the best change any corps has made this season. I found the second line particularly offensive and mocking of 72 years of pride and tradition, so I'm glad it's gone. Take out the rest of the lines, take the vocalist out of the ballad and don't have her sing the introduction, and we're good to go.

Blue Stars- Added narration to a once amazing show. Destroyed. Good luck next year.

What are your thoughts and corps' mid-season changes, musical or visual?

Bluecoats- The new trumpet solo is great. They took out some stuff after the introduction that I liked, and I'm sad to see it go. Liked the steel drum feature in the Tihai. Other than that, the program seems relatively the same, besides the fact that that baritone solo sounds more and more beautiful as the season goes on. Great solo in a great ballad in a great show.

Actually, the 'Coats have added more steel drum as the year goes on, including bringing it in during a sop solo. I really like that they keep it throughout, really maintains that added character. It was just a few bars at first in Toledo.

Cavies- Love the muted trumpets after the second number...sounds great! I thought they were kazoos at first. Definitely an excellent change. The new trumpet duet is also great.

Phantom- Not too fond of the added drumline in the ballad. It fits, but it sounded better without them. Not a big detractor, though. But all the other changes they made...man. This show is now a complete masterpiece. The end of the opener is nothing short of amazing, as is the end of the show where all the themes come into play, and the corps rushes the front sideline with their loud chordal ending. :rolleyes:

Blue Devils- The extra-long swing section in the middle is awesome! I would prefer they leave the voiceover out, but I don't mind it at all. After all, I can always edit it out on the MP3 before putting it on my iPod after finals. It's certainly the least obtrusive of amped vocals I've ever seen, and it certainly doesn't detract from the spectacular show that this is.

Crown- Took out the beginning part of the intro to the opener with the trumpets, and changed the push to more reflect the end of the show. I'm not too fond of taking out the trumpets in the beginning; why was this done? Not sure if the big push is better now, because it used to be the entire corps entered at the big hit, but now just the trumpets come in first, then the rest of the brass. Not as impactful, but it's still a great moment. It would take a lot to turn this incredible Crown show bad.

SCV- Took out a chunk of the opener that I really liked, but oh well. Parts are COMPLETELY watered down, which is never good, but if it increases their visual scores, that's good. Another excellent SCV show full of depth, as I'm accustom to from them. (If you haven't noticed, the single guard member at the very beginning of the show, with an orange flag meant to represent fire, runs across the field and "ignites" the corps, which is precisely when the music starts. So cool.)

Cadets- Changed ending was necessary. Improves the show but nowhere near makes up for the travesties that are the introduction, the percussion feature, and the ballad. Took out two lines in the percussion feature, "Can somebody just tell me where we are!?" and "Do they always have to do that?" Probably the best change any corps has made this season. I found the second line particularly offensive and mocking of 72 years of pride and tradition, so I'm glad it's gone. Take out the rest of the lines, take the vocalist out of the ballad and don't have her sing the introduction, and we're good to go.

Blue Stars- Added narration to a once amazing show. Destroyed. Good luck next year.

What are your thoughts and corps' mid-season changes, musical or visual?

Sigh...ignorance is bliss :sshh:

Cadets- Changed ending was necessary. Improves the show but nowhere near makes up for the travesties that are the introduction, the percussion feature, and the ballad. Took out two lines in the percussion feature, "Can somebody just tell me where we are!?" and "Do they always have to do that?" Probably the best change any corps has made this season. I found the second line particularly offensive and mocking of 72 years of pride and tradition, so I'm glad it's gone.

I haven't and won't see any of these shows, unfortunately, so I have no context besides what I've read online. Out of curiosity, what do you mean by the bolded sentence?

I haven't and won't see any of these shows, unfortunately, so I have no context besides what I've read online. Out of curiosity, what do you mean by the bolded sentence?

For one, it shows that show includes elements foreign to drum corps in that these characters have no idea what a tenor feature is and view it as a negative thing, asking if they "have" to do that every time. It's almost as if saying, "This isn't really a drum corps show, it's a play, so why are people playing drums?" like claiming that the tenor feature doesn't belong and is distracting from the action going on with the characters and their talking. The fact that she says "always" is referring to past years in Cadets' history, basically turning integral elements of the corps that have been there for years, into a joke.

Cadets are adding their new opening tonight. They're scrapping the singing intro and bringing back the music from last year's opener. They're using the same drill that they already had. They learned it yesterday in Enid, practiced it in the afternoon, and Hopkins said they were going to replace it tonight in Kansas.

Cadets are adding their new opening tonight. They're scrapping the singing intro and bringing back the music from last year's opener. They're using the same drill that they already had. They learned it yesterday in Enid, practiced it in the afternoon, and Hopkins said they were going to replace it tonight in Kansas.

Holy ####.

Really?

####, I am thisclose to really, really getting into this show now...I already love the end.

Thanks for the info. :)

For one, it shows that show includes elements foreign to drum corps in that these characters have no idea what a tenor feature is and view it as a negative thing, asking if they "have" to do that every time. It's almost as if saying, "This isn't really a drum corps show, it's a play, so why are people playing drums?" like claiming that the tenor feature doesn't belong and is distracting from the action going on with the characters and their talking. The fact that she says "always" is referring to past years in Cadets' history, basically turning integral elements of the corps that have been there for years, into a joke.

I thought they were refering to the wave after the feature.

I like most of the ending, but they really lose a lot of momentum I think right at about the 10:25 mark, and spend a good 30 seconds only to pick up almost exactly where they just left off. From 10:55 on it's great again, but that gap is right there in the middle.