Scythian Suite

I know lots of people don't seem to like this tune, however....it is vintage Prokofiev, and I dig it.

If you enjoy it, and want to hear something only slightly more accessible while still very powerful and aggressive, try the suite from "Love for Three Oranges." That's got some amazingly intense inner movements. In fact, the only thing I don't really like about is the oft-played March, the other five movements are quite cool.

Other Prokofiev recs:

Romeo and Juliet Ballet Suite

Symphony-Concerto for Cello

Symphony No. 5

Symphony No. 6

Lt. Kije Suite

Along with Shosty and Aram, Prokofiev has to be one of my fave Russian composers...heck, I named my dog after him! :P

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it totally goes with the show concept. Not only is it vintage Prokofiev, it is vintage Phantom Regiment.

When I first heard it a few years ago, I thought it would be great if Phantom Regiment played this. Now here we are.

Edited by WOOHOO

When I first heard it a few years ago, I thought it would be great if Phantom Regiment played this. Now here we are.

Regiment also played it in 1984, I think.

Regiment also played it in 1984, I think.

Yes, and a very similar arrangement to this year I might add, down to exact same keyboard parts.

It's another piece that illustrates his sardonic style

Yes, and a very similar arrangement to this year I might add, down to exact same keyboard parts.

Hmm...you think so? I think the arrangements sound quite different, texture-wise.

As for the keyboard parts you're talking about...heh, compared the original setting, it's almost impossible to put that particular melody anywhere else...it's played by the violins in the original, and you simply can't approximate that speed with anything on the drumcorps field other than mallets.

I frankly don't care too much for that 1984 show...especially Scythian Suite. I don't think the arrangements are "very similar." Certainly, there is much more "meat" from the original in this year's production. From a texture standpoint, they are not similar at all...I think I've come to really like the deeper, lower quality to the introduction presented by this year's corps.

Scythian Suite is the really the only part of the '84 show that I like