Crossmen Lose a Baritone Player

In 93, with 2 weeks left on tour, Bluecoats filled a mello hole with the rookie pit alternate/waterboy. His first show was either quarters or semis - I forget which. He knocked it out of the park in my opinion. Especially for a pit guy who has never marched in his life.

I have alot of respect for that guy - he was put into an impossible situation under alot of pressure and made it work.

I'm sure they felt he was willing to do anything for the corps and would lay it all on the line for them. All I was saying was that a corps, at this point in the season, is probably not going to take just anybody who says they can do it. They will want to have a good idea that they really can do it before taking them on.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks.

Just a some clarity, we did lose two hornline members but the spots have been filled.

Come check out the Crossmen! We have some new and exciting surprises for all!

The quick schedule:

Warrenton, VA

Bensalem, PA

West Chester, PA

Giants Stadium, NJ

Allentown, PA

See you on the 50!

I noticed you werent there...

In 93, with 2 weeks left on tour, Bluecoats filled a mello hole with the rookie pit alternate/waterboy. His first show was either quarters or semis - I forget which. He knocked it out of the park in my opinion. Especially for a pit guy who has never marched in his life.

I have alot of respect for that guy - he was put into an impossible situation under alot of pressure and made it work.

I got one better. :P

In 1993, one of our mellophone players, Jessi, got sick, and we were told that we would not have her back.

Enter "Cleatus," who had been a soprano alternate the entire year. He learned the entire show in ONE day, and marched it that night.

Jessi ended up coming back for Finals night, so Semifinals was the only show that Cleatus marched that year.

I got one better. :P

In 1993, one of our mellophone players, Jessi, got sick, and we were told that we would not have her back.

Enter "Cleatus," who had been a soprano alternate the entire year. He learned the entire show in ONE day, and marched it that night.

Jessi ended up coming back for Finals night, so Semifinals was the only show that Cleatus marched that year.

How many sets? I'm not trying to be rude, but I can't help but feel it would be much harder to learn a show in one day with the sheer amount of charts in the drills of today.

somones learned the xmen show last year in a day or 2. his first show was quarterfinals

How many sets? I'm not trying to be rude, but I can't help but feel it would be much harder to learn a show in one day with the sheer amount of charts in the drills of today.

I don't recall how many sets, but then again...I don't recall claiming it was harder to do back then.

Perhaps it might be harder to do nowadays with the amount of drill sets, but then again...that was the standard back then, and there is a different standard now. It was difficult for the time. Were I to pluck Cleatus out of 1993 with Doc Brown's DeLorean and have him learn the 2003 PR show in one day, or the 2003 Cavaliers show, I am sure it would be a different story.

I don't recall how many sets, but then again...I don't recall claiming it was harder to do back then.

Perhaps it might be harder to do nowadays with the amount of drill sets, but then again...that was the standard back then, and there is a different standard now. It was difficult for the time. Were I to pluck Cleatus out of 1993 with Doc Brown's DeLorean and have him learn the 2003 PR show in one day, or the 2003 Cavaliers show, I am sure it would be a different story.

I heard a story that Cleatus suited up before Finals in 93, so he could march with the corps to the stadium. But, as the story went, he didn't fall out quickly enough-- nearly causing disaster as the DCI official DCI counting members clicked 127...128... 129? Supposedly, Dan Farrell came bounding down the stands, bent for leather, and pulled him out just in time (and quickly explained the situation). True story?

Also, didn't Chris Jackson come in for the last couple of weeks of 92 to fill the spot of a contra player who was cut after the staff found him playing basketball on an "injured" knee (that had otherwise prevented him from rehearsing...)?

[As a side note, marching alternate seemed about as fun an thankless as serving as Vice President--or, as the saying goes, "a pitcher of warm spit"]

Edited by year1buick