My Big, Long ATLANTA Review

Atlanta was truly “Hotlanta” this Saturday at the end of July. Two great shows, with a huge, enthusiastic crowd for the evening finals made for a great day of drum corps and a safe bet that DCI will be coming back here for another regional soon. The theme for this year seems to be incredibly tight “bunches” in placements that will be maintaining drama throughout the ranks the rest of the way.

I’m going to do a combined afternoon evening review. This was my 5th show of the season, after going to the Lisle show on Fathers Day and then last weekend to the Dallas, San Antonio & Denton Shows. Quite frankly, it was very impressive how much everyone has improved since last weekend. My perspective will be a little different for this review, as I had very LOW seats, on row 10 of the lower deck, on about the 42, A side. I couldn’t see much drill, but great seats for music and to see the performers up close & personal.

Esperanza (70.575) opened up the afternoon show with their Shakra program, and got the day off to a solid start. The corps really has some nice percussive sections to the show. After reading the program I get that they are trying to give the show and Indian flavor. Having spent a lot of time in India for work over the last 2 years though, I don’t think they really capture the essence of the country very well at all, in either visual work or musical flavors. The music has a few nice moments, but is generally on the flat side. This goes for many of the lower placing corps – but when will they get it? If you look at the top corps, they all have accessible, straight-forward shows that don’t really need a bunch of hyperbole in a program to tell you what they are doing. The esoteric curse of the mid 90s has really gone by the wayside in the top 6. Perhaps the lower corps haven’t gotten the memo? Still, I appreciate the effort of Esperanza’s kids and wish them well.

Seattle Cascades (71.525) were up next. I was actually surprised they were so close to Esperanza. Sitting low at least, they felt like a BIG step up from Esperanza. The redemption theme is apparent most through the silks in the guard, but the music also delivers some nice impact points and the drill is demanding and effective, if dirty. The corps unveiled a new ending tonight, with the corps still ending up in the upper left corner, but with the addition of a progression of black to red to white in large flags by some guard members, and a giant white canvas covering the hornline in a big triangle. A nice way to end a solid show. It’s amazing how good the corps battling even in the 20-21 placements are.

The Magic (72.75) next brought us their show, and boy does this horn line let loose with some gusto! A nice, solid, dark sound from the hornline seems to me to be the highlight of this corps. This show has grown on me with repeated viewings, and while they are a long, long ways from their execution or design levels of a few years ago, this is a solid show. The ballad, with the ribbon references is particularly effective. To compete at the next level, Magic really needs to work on visual execution, though. Members at times are still way out of forms, and it takes far too long for them to recover.

Southwind (75.025) was the first of two corps (with Mandarins) in a TIGHT battle for that 17th spot (pending of course where Pacific Crest comes into play at championships). They were 1/10th behind Mandarins today, but I do find their show much more interesting. Musically, they have more depth. The duality theme really works well – everywhere but the ballad. I know it’s getting late, but the corps should really consider killing the percussive groove “interludes” in Claire De Lune. It just kills the flow of the piece. The horn line does some really nice playing in Claire – just let them complete some moments to take it to the next level. Performance-wise, the corps is solid, although I think that Mandarins are much more crisp visually at this point. This will be a fight to the finish!

Mandarins (75.125), as I said, are right there with Southwind. This was the only show I was viewing for the first time from the stands. I have always enjoyed the unique product Mandarins seems to bring to the field – the gutsy little underdog. I’m not as big a fan of this show, though – particularly of the music book, which is relatively un-inspiring. The guard is pretty effective – particularly in the closer, with a great silk, that is unveiled in a nice, creative way. One other note – I really don’t like the new uniforms for Mandarins – they sacrificed a lot of their unique identity.

Blue Stars (78.2) were a part of the next tightly packed “bunch,” in a close 3-way race at this point with Capital Regiment and Crossmen for 14th. I fear that Blue Stars will likely finish 16th in Madison, though, as their show just doesn’t have the visual demand or depth to keep them in the race to the finish with their closest competitors. But all the same, wow, what a great first year back in Div. I for Blue Stars. Their Americana “Four Freedoms” show is stirring. The music is terrific and the hornline is powerful. The guard is a tad on the small side, and their work is a bit simpler than the corps right in front of them, but they have some nice, effective moments as well. This is a great show that I look forward to seeing twice more in Madison. Could it take an 82 to make SEMI-finals this year? Yup, quite possibly.

Capital Regiment (78.825) has a show that is really growing legs right now, just barely failing to catch Crossmen, in what had to be a surprise for many. Cap Reg has a solid show on all fronts with a whole lot of room to continue to clean. I don’t particularly care for their new uniform either, and I think if you are going to use a two sided/colored uniform top on the front, you need to write your drill to better maximize the effect. Those kind of touches separate the good from the great corps. This is shaping up to be their best corps yet. Looks like their will be a battle-royale between Crossmen and Cap Reg the rest of the way.

Crossmen (78.875) have a nice show that is crowd accessible and entertaining. The radio section is cute, and effective. The corps is clearly young – and that might be one of their biggest challenges. It’s clear the better, more mature talent in YEA continues to go to the Cadets. It’s a shame Crossmen aren’t financially able to stand on their own, as I think they’d be much better off from a competitive perspective. The guard for Bones is particularly green. The part of the show that is growing on me the most, I think, is the ballad. Quite beautiful. Nice show Crossmen. Not finalist caliber, but a nice show.

Colts (80.8) have the feel of that last corps looking in from the outside for finals, as they sit stuck in 13th. Unfortunately for them, there are just 12 corps this year that are clearly above them. The show worked for them a bit better today than it did in Texas, but the music ensemble still sounds quite muddy in places. The color guard program is also not developing at the same rate as the corps above them, both from a design and an execution perspective. Still, some very exciting musical licks from Colts.

Spirit (83.875 afternoon/81.257 evening) is one of the few corps that really doesn’t have a “cluster” of corps to battle with this summer. They are clearly better than everyone below them, but at the same time, their design and performance is a clear notch below the Glassmen/Madison/Boston group. The hornline is big and exciting, with a powerful sound that is very true to their heritage. There are nice references to their past throughout the show, although the music book at times seems to be, like last year, too much of a hodge-podge of snippets pieced together. My biggest quibble with the show design is in the guard color schemes. There is just far too much blue in this show. Guard & Visual GE are two places where Spirit just doesn’t have the horses to challenge for a higher placement. However, this is a great anniversary year show for Spirit. The ballad in particular is really coming together nicely.

Glassmen (85.225 afternoon/ 82.9 evening) came next. To me, this corps is not yet maximizing the potential of their show. For whatever reason, their hornline isn’t progressing in terms of presence and power at the same rate as those immediately above them, and the drumline doesn’t seem to have enough chances to impress. Yet, this show has for me what are also some of my favorite moments of the summer. The Moonlight Sonata section is hauntingly beautiful – with a fantastic finish. The “going deaf” section also stands out, and the closer in general continues to grow on me. I noticed they changed the silks for the opener, and I actually liked the Purple/Pink flags better. They seemed darker, yet flashier, and a better fit for the music in the opening moments. Hopefully they will change back. I still wouldn’t count this corps out from a higher placement than 11th in Madison, but it will be an uphill battle for them unless they can kick it up another major notch musically.

Madison (84.25 evening only) benefited from what I think Is a bizarre policy by DCI to use a week’s worth of average scoring to determine placements rather than use the results of the previous regional to determine the next week’s order. It was clear in San Antonio that this corps was behind Blue Knights and Boston, but they got that last spot in the group of corps to be seeded into the evening show. In many ways, Madison has stepped it up a notch this year. In my opinion, this corps is better than 2005 musically, and has a solid drill to go with it, even if most of the drill is repetitive to earlier work from Rosander. Yet, the guard is just killing this show. Their program design just does not fit. It’s like they re-wound to 2002 from a color guard perspective and put a similar quality design in a guard program with an SCV-type hornline, drumline and program. They also have a LOT of cleaning left to do in marching. Still, I enjoy the show, and if the corps hits their stride from a marching perspective, they can still challenge for a notch or 2 higher in the ladder. They could also be caught by Glassmen, though, if G-men elevate their hornline.

Boston Crusaders (86.850 afternoon/ 84.55 evening) edged out Blue Knights in the afternoon, and I thought somewhat deservedly. In the evening, BK had a much better show, and Boston was not as clean. I was surprised, however, that Boston wasn’t a bit further ahead of Madison, and not a little closer to Blue Knights. Boston has a very visual appealing show, with a highly effective color guard providing great accents throughout. The corps also uses it’s trademark crisp, aggressive style to it’s advantage. If you sit back and just watch the drill, though, they don’t seem to have the demand that the corps around them do in terms of step size, etc. Musically, there are parts of the show that worked much better for me this weekend than last, but there are parts (particularly in the opener) that just don’t connect well for me. A nice show for Boston, and they seem to have a chance to finish the season anywhere from 8th to 10th. One big kudos for Boston – their hornline – WOW! I am really loving the power they bring to the field this season. Full, dark, bold. They help rescue a pretty lackluster music book in many places.

Blue Knights (86.225 afternoon/ 86.4 evening) seemed to follow the trend they set last weekend – a somewhat “off” show in the afternoon with much greater intensity and emotion in the evening show. And this is a program that demands the full involvement of the members if the program is to sell effectively. When it does, this is a dark, fierce, fantastic show. One of my favorites of the summer. There are some really nice design moments on the show, and a ton of demand in the drill. Lot’s of exposed drill sets, with the Contra Line, for example in very readable, rotating files in many places. Of the corps in the 6th- 11th group, BK seems to have the most room to clean, which bodes well for them. Their evening score was HUGE, and certainly sends notice to the “pack” in the 6th-11th group that they will be a force from here on out.

Santa Clara Vanguard (86.625) barely stayed in front of BK tonight. SCV is a bit of a mystery to me after having seen them twice. Visually, they are very nice – certainly top 6 caliber, although there is plenty of cleaning left to be done, and I’m not a huge fan of the color guard unis. Musically, though, the book is a bit of a mixed bag, with some effective moments, and some parts of the show that are more on the dry side. The hornline was probably 11th out of 12 tonight, though, when it comes to power and projection into the stands (check out their painful Ens Music scores). They just sound weaker, thinner and brighter than almost everyone else. I do enjoy the show though, and love the quiet ending. The classic “V” in the cymbals is always a favorite, and it is very effectively used to close the show. It will be a very interesting battle for 6th for SCV this year with Crown – although they better not forget about BK right behind them, as BK is bringing it with a much more powerful, darker hornline.

Carolina Crown (87.0) had a huge following in the stands tonight, as would be expected as they were relatively close to home. And boy, did they bring a show. I think tonight, 2 weeks before finals, the corps MARCHED the best that a Crown corps has ever marched (not the highest compliment in the world, but still, hey, they are cleaning up nicely!). I really dug this show tonight, benefiting, I think, from the “2nd viewing” effect. Musically, the show seemed to sell a lot better tonight than last weekend in San Antonio. The hornline has such a lush, big sound. Just gorgeous. A clear differentiator between them and SCV. The guard is also great, although their work starts to feel a bit repetitive by the end of the show. Crown’s Achilles heel appears to be percussion at this point – and I have to admit I didn’t really notice their drum line much at all. If they can address this, they have a great chance at 6th place.

The Cadets (90.15) boldly announced the arrival of the tightly-packed top 5 in pretty exciting fashion tonight (yes, those that read my review from last week can now pick their jaws up off the floor). I think 2 things were in play tonight for my greater enjoyment of this show as compared to last weekend. First, they have chopped some of the clutter in the opener (singing, etc) and deliver a much more effective opening with a true “bookend” to last year’s show to get things started. Second, I think this show probably just “sells” better to the fans in the lower portion of the stands. In San Antonio, this show design just seemed irreversibly flawed for viewing from upstairs. Can’t comment as to how much that may have changed. From down low, though, tonight the show was pretty exciting. I had another “newbie” with me tonight attending their first show, and Cadets actually turned out to be their favorite of the evening. Still, the corps is absolutely dirty in both brass and percussion – a major step below the 4 corps in front of them in that regard. Yet, after going on after Cadets, Bluecoats just seemed to be simple and a bit flat. It will be interesting to see if Cadets can move up. Certainly, the ballad and the closer are becoming quite effective, and the drum feature is exciting, yet still dirty. It’s just amazing that there are less than 3 points separating 1st and 5th – anything truly could happen this summer, and Cadets have one of the best staffs in the business and uber-talented kids. I thought they might have come in 4th tonight, but again, if my last viewing in San Antonio is still relevant, the show is probably not selling well to the upper stands.

Bluecoats (90.725) have to feel great to be firmly entrenched in the top 5 pack, and they deserve it. I think their show “sold” to me the best that it has all season. This is just good, old fashion Bluecoats drum corps, just performed at another level this season. Yet it seems to lack a certain “heart” or “oomph” that would set it apart. Perhaps it’s partly color schemes, I’m not sure. Their entire color palette is very strong/primary. Maybe even a bit 2 dimensional. In fact, yeah, that’s it. For me, this show is a bit more 2 dimensional, while the rest of the top 5 seem to have more depth. I think “Bloo” will be hard pressed to stay in front of Cadets much longer, but anything’s possible!

Phantom Regiment (92.0) continues to refine the story line in their “Faust” show, with more costuming and clearer “plot” development, which is paying off. (NOTE – yes, I’m an unabashed “phan,” so I won’t try to pretend to be unbiased with this corps) Also, just like last year, crowning/finishing touches continue to be added to the guard, including more headgear in places, and a more “devlish” transition for Faust. This show is just visually gorgeous! The drill, I know, doesn’t have the flash of Cavaliers, but wow, to me it is just as effective, fitting the music perfectly, and almost always staging the performers perfectly. The Ave Maria section is now stunning, and the final chord resolution with Marguerite and Faust meeting in front of that amazing hornline is major goose-bump city. I thought the Corigliano section of the show absolutely sizzled tonight – the most effective it’s been all year. It just oozes intensity. The Mahler closer is just what it should be – redemptive, resurrecting, glorious. While I didn’t quite feel the same emotion in the closing moments as I did in San Antonio, it could have been the low seats. As the scores reflect, there is still more music GE to be had from the opening and closing sections of the show. Regardless, this corps will tear the house down on Saturday night in Madison. I just can’t see the closer NOT becoming an emotional powerhouse by then. Winning GE Visual, Brass and tying for Percussion tonight? Wow. We truly seem to have a potential 3 horse race emerging, with Phantom edging further from Cadets/Bluecoats and ever so slightly closer to BD/Cavs. Phantom, at the least, is a legitimate dark horse. If they can clean up their marching, they have a legitimate shot. Thank You, Regiment, for a truly fitting anniversary season show.

Blue Devils (93.0) honestly felt a bit flat coming on after Regiment, but their performance excellence is simply amazing, and the show picked up steam after the first 2 minutes. The opening sequence is just too long. It seems like forever before the hornline comes in. Why? When you have one of the best brass lines in the activity year in, year out, why do you not maximize them? While the closer is indeed improved, the end of the show still loses a bit of steam as well. The middle is terrific, however. And the guard is just amazing throughout. In many other years, this show would bring home a ring. BD marches the most effective, demanding drill I think I’ve ever seem them march, and I like the new drill in the closer. They are certainly still a major contender.

Cavaliers (93.025) felt like the class of the show tonight from down low, at least in terms of design and excitement. This is just a special, amazing show – everything you thought a show theme of “Machine” would be in terms of fitting this corps like a glove. The new drill in the closer – while still very dirty – is very, very fast paced and exciting, thought I still think the last 20 seconds or so are anticlimactic. The drum line also seems to be a clear notch below BD and Regiment. In fact, if their drumline was up to their normal level, when the drill in the closer is cleaned, this show would be near impossible to beat. I was surprised by the narrowness of the margin tonight, and think it may only grow. Somehow, I think Regiment may be the only corps with a small shot of beating Cavaliers.

What a great way to set up the end of the season. For Cavies, it’s find a better last 20 seconds, clean the new drill in the closer leading up to that, and bring up the performance levels of your drumline. For BD, it’s find more effect in their opener and create a few more “wow”moments. For Regiment, it’s clean the #### out of the drill they have, find just a smidge more effect in the drill and polish up the music GE in the opener and closer – and pour on all the emotion the corps and the fans can stand. And don’t count out Cadets entirely – their improvement in a week has been impressive.

Well, there you have it! The 2 week wait for Quarterfinals in Madison will now seem like an eternity!

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan

Enjoyed hearing your thoughts. I was there too. I agree that Phantom has the best shot at catching Cavaliers. And agree that Blue Devils were flat, just didn't have enough fresh ideas in the program. And I thought you were right about Cadets. They were great. Have made changes. Watch out Bloo and B.D.

Everyone has said this, but the top 12 corps are the highest caliber ever. The Colts' horn line may be the best to not get to perform on finals night.

Thanks for the kudos guys. I actually enjoy writing reviews, as it gives me a chance to relive the show in my mind for a while. What a great year for drum corps!

Harvey

Thanks for the kudos guys. I actually enjoy writing reviews, as it gives me a chance to relive the show in my mind for a while. What a great year for drum corps!

Harvey

Bud, great review. Are you coming to Allentown? If not I'll see you in Madison. From the webcast they actually showed the high camera view of Cavies show until the resolve, which they then went to various close ups, so I could not really time what was happening. The transition into the new ending seemed a bit choppy, but once in to it there seemed to be some pretty cool drill development. Can't wait to see everyone this week.

Good week for drumcorps here in the east coming up with the Gaint Stadium show and then Allentown. Catch you later man, and thanks for a solid review!

Terry

Terry, thanks! Unfortunately, I won't be in Allentown, so yep, see you in Mad-town. The new drill in Cavies closer is amazing, although I still think the last 20 seconds after that is a bit of a let down. Great, great, great show, though!

Bud