Salem, Va

"'I'm surprised that Spirit is that close to Glassmen. Again two very different design choices, but in my mind Glassmen's a more demanding book.

Go Colts! I'm really hoping they give Spirit a scare in the next week...''

hm....guess SPIRIT didnt do it for ya.........anyway GO BABY BLUE!!!!!!! HOpe u will like them more the next time you see them!!!!

waiting for recaps... brass judge tonight has been know via prior shows to drop Spirits brass perf. score an entire point from previous nights scores. No bigge.. just interested to see if the trend continues.

Brass Performance: Paul McGarr - Brantford, ON

Wow - people in Salem, VA, love their drum corps. I went to this show and to the town for the first time tonight. GREAT venue - probably the nicest high school football stadiums I've ever been to. Brick facade. Mountains in the distance. Outstanding!

And the stands were packed! I mean PACKED!

Crown got the best response of the night, I think. Salem has a couple kids in Crown, it was announced, but there was also a lot of "during the show" reaction.

I didn't stay for scores, as I had a two-hour drive, but now see that Glassmen beat Spirit by over a point - that really surprises me. Glassmen seemed to be pretty flat.

Kudos to all the corps. Finals week will be full of excitement.

I was also at the Salem show and true as been said above --- CROWN was marvelous! They were heads and heels above the other corps in polish and style. Their brass sounds were incredible! We know they are weaker in percussion and hopefully they can pull more of that together this next week. But as for last night, they were incredible and should have taken it home in first place. It's the truth, the judges blew this one!

I was also at the Salem show and agree that Crown should have taken first. I enjoyed SCV's show, but their brass blend was very poor last night. Loud passages were just that - LOUD - with no tone quality or blend. Even though I admit to being somewhat biased towards Crown, I can't see how they lost to SCV by almost a full point. But then, the judges didn't ask me for my opinion!