High School Drum Corps on TV

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the Cadets practicing at J Birney Crum, which is the Allentown School District facility.

On the ABC station they showed a corps praticing in Allentown stating a high school drum corps was practicing in the heat.

Dude, what do they know? I'm just glad the activity gets a little exposure out of it.

Dude, what do they know? I'm just glad the activity gets a little exposure out of it.

Very true, however, the news people should at least attempt to get their facts straight before they report on it. It always used to annoy me when the called a corps a band. The way the corps have evolved, there isn't much difference anymore between a "corps" and a band, is there?

Very true, however, the news people should at least attempt to get their facts straight before they report on it. It always used to annoy me when the called a corps a band. The way the corps have evolved, there isn't much difference anymore between a "corps" and a band, is there?

I think you're on to something here - "news = facts"!

b**bs

Well...they saw a group practicing on the Allentown school district field...hance the HS comment.

As for corps/band...drum corps are bands, so it is not inaccurate to call them one. Plus, your own last sentence even seems to admit that.

I fail to see the issue.

The way the corps have evolved, there isn't much difference anymore between a "corps" and a band, is there?

For all practical purposes, to the man on the street there is no difference and never has been. Music + marching = marching band to them. Correcting them is the equivalent of arguing about the finer points of anime with someone who's vaguely aware of Pokemon.

Well, I've been contemplating the general subject for a while, and I'd like to know what everyone thinks about my thoughts. Please bear with me. I'm sure that a lot of us remember when John Kennedy Jr. took a swan dive into the Atlantic flying from NYC to Cape Cod. The media was all over the story. I saw one reporter describe his plane as a "race car of the sky", when in fact the Saratoga is one of the slowest planes in it's class. Same thing with Drum Corps. When we read an article in a general newspaper, we're not reading EmilyTannert or Mike Boo. These are people who are writing from square one, so I'm willing to cut them some slack.....as long as they don't call us BANDS !!!

As for corps/band...drum corps are bands, so it is not inaccurate to call them one.

By that logic, orchestras are bands...which they are clearly not.