Video of 2001 Retreat/ 9/11 footage

DCI PLEASE bring this BACK to RETREATS !!!

DCI still has retreats. At major competitions and finals.

They were eliminated from being required at local shows for a number of reasons... but DCI has never ELIMINATED retreats.. I wish you guys who keep intimating that they're gone would report this correctly.

And yeah.. what you found on YouTube is copyrighted to DCI.. I also wish we'd stop advertising for that site.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stef....the retreat in which all the corps come out on the field is now only done at finals. It has not been done at any regional I've been at (Lisle, Indy, Atlanta). :)

I didn't find the video you are looking for but I did find the DCI 2002 Retreat on Youtube.com where both

America/O Canada and God Bless Amercia were played !!!

I get a lump in my throat evrytime I here America/O Canada !!!!

DCI PLEASE bring this BACK to RETREATS !!!

Good heavens, NO!

:blink:

We didn't play that crap in my day... someone started that in the late late 80's early 90's. It always sounded so weird to me.

Stef....the retreat in which all the corps come out on the field is now only done at finals. It has not been done at any regional I've been at (Lisle, Indy, Atlanta). :)

Correction noted.. but DCI does still have championship retreat.

Having been in retreats at DCM shows in the recent past.. and having witnessed them, here's my perspective (if you care to have it).

As a spectator, I love them.. it's breathtaking to see all that pageantry and hear that sound.

As a performer, I hate them. It's tiring and as a drummer, all we did was stand there. They're long.. and all I could ever think about was "dang, I can't wait to get out of this uniform and on the road.."

So as a spectator.. I'm really really okay with a championship retreat set up. It's the grandest finale of all and the last time a lot of those kids will get to BE in that oft-beloved uniform.. it should be for the performer as much as for the spectator.. and IMO, as a performer, it was never for me.

I like the way it's set up now.. plus as a retreat loving spectator, it's another incentive to go to finals.

Correction noted.. but DCI does still have championship retreat.

Having been in retreats at DCM shows in the recent past.. and having witnessed them, here's my perspective (if you care to have it).

As a spectator, I love them.. it's breathtaking to see all that pageantry and hear that sound.

As a performer, I hate them. It's tiring and as a drummer, all we did was stand there. They're long.. and all I could ever think about was "dang, I can't wait to get out of this uniform and on the road.."

So as a spectator.. I'm really really okay with a championship retreat set up. It's the grandest finale of all and the last time a lot of those kids will get to BE in that oft-beloved uniform.. it should be for the performer as much as for the spectator.. and IMO, as a performer, it was never for me.

I like the way it's set up now.. plus as a retreat loving spectator, it's another incentive to go to finals.

I agree with these sentiments, both from the performer's perspective and the fans'

I'm also okay with the full retreat only at Finals because of the hassle at other shows and all .....

BUT ....

I DO wish they would bring back the organized playing off. This would give the performers something to do, one last performance in uniform, and also give the crowd one last chance to applaud each corp and member. Also, it's so much cleaner and more dignified (and can't possibly take longer) than the current milling around on the field.

btw ...Ambivalent about the America/O Canada thing (which I think ODBC was referring to when he said "DCI please bring THIS back to retreats" (emphasis mine).

First of all, I totally understand the performer's perspective even though I never marched corps. That being said, I wish at finals they would go back to the "old school" retreat. In 94 (the last time they did it this way, I believe), each corps was dismissed from the field in reverse order of finish. The corps would take a moment, then play their corps song (holy #### was that cool) before trouping the stands one last time and saluting the newly bemedaled champions. Such a beautiful ritual. It DID take forever, but most of us at a finals night don't want it to end anyway. Hearing the corps songs, alone, is enough for me to beg and plead for this to make a comeback. :blink:

Just my $.02

First of all, I totally understand the performer's perspective even though I never marched corps. That being said, I wish at finals they would go back to the "old school" retreat. In 94 (the last time they did it this way, I believe), each corps was dismissed from the field in reverse order of finish. The corps would take a moment, then play their corps song (holy #### was that cool) before trouping the stands one last time and saluting the newly bemedaled champions. Such a beautiful ritual. It DID take forever, but most of us at a finals night don't want it to end anyway. Hearing the corps songs, alone, is enough for me to beg and plead for this to make a comeback. :blink:

Just my $.02

I've never seen that, but it sounds wonderful... I'd be all for them bringing that back.

Retreats for local shows do seem to be a logistical nuisance, but I still think they should do it for all major events. It's a nice way to end a relatively expensive evening.

Just my $.02

:wub: