1. 1. Who showered with their horn?

• Did shower with horn
    • Didn't shower with horn

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mafields627

I've never marched so I'm not sure about the time constraints you have on tour but, showering with a horn could not be good for it. I'm specifically talking about the valve felts. These little buggers compress when they get wet and throw the valves out of alignment. That makes your horn play less in tune. Ask these guys (trumpet players) that have had valve alignments done by Bob Reeves or Wayne Tanabe about what a difference it makes.

If you're dead set on showering with your horn, at least take the valves out before hand and leave them in your case.

I'm specifically talking about the valve felts. These little buggers compress when they get wet and throw the valves out of alignment. That makes your horn play less in tune. Ask these guys (trumpet players) that have had valve alignments done by Bob Reeves or Wayne Tanabe about what a difference it makes.

ummmmmmmmm... I dunno about all that.

I used to take my valves out until I realized what a waste of time it was. It's about as bad for your valves as the spit coming out of your mouth is. I think I had a better chance of throwing my valves out by taking them out. I usually just ran some water and soap through my mouthpiece and pushed down all the valves and let it run through my horn out the bell. Then I'd put it under under the showerhead to get off the polish. It took about 10 seconds to do, and it did a cleaner job that taking the polish off with a cloth. Plus I didn't need to oil my valves after washing my horn. :P

I loved my horn in the shower! B)

And, yes, it was corps policy to take out the valves. And don't forget to remove the valve springs. I spent a lot of time searching for one of those things the first time I showered with my euph.

Michael Oldemeyer

is it really bad for your horn?

Yes, I showered with my horn, every day.

I was on gym cleanup crew, so I didn't have time to shower, THEN clean my horn. It's just a matter of time management.

There were only two problems: getting all the water outta the horn, and staying out of the way of the Soap Soccer League! :P

I've always showered with my horn, in fact it's a hornline rule that you will always take your horn in the shower. We do it to clean off all the sweat, dirt, and general grime that builds up on them, as well as wash out all the crap we blow into them. I've never had any problems with the valve felts as a result of being wet. They dry out and are back to normal pretty quickly once they're out of the water, and any tuning difference will be negligable. On marching horns, you're talking horns that aren't that well in-tune anyway, and it's better, IMO, to keep them in decent working shape and clean than to worry about a minute tuning difference.

I spent more time in the shower cleaning my horn than my body... :angry:

I was a baritone player just for the record...