A DCI Audiophile Thread...

Been going back through the CD's each week, and this week was 1995.

Wow. It's been a long, long while since I've listened to those recordings, but they are about two shades above a muffled bootleg, especially in comparsion with the great 1994 CD's.

Since we have a thread devoted to speaker selection, it only stands to reason that we pick out the best mixed/recorded year there is for proper testing. :P

What's your best/worst recorded year?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1999 is disqualified on account of what it did to a lot of those snare lines. There must have been something with mic placement that night that made snare lines sound like channel 3 until theygot within the 45s.

It was really apparent listening to SCV at the Classic Countdown, at least to my ears.

1997 isn't too good either. NONE of Madison's 30-second-long chord can be heard, it's all cymbal crashes and cheering with a tiny hint of brass sound. Great show, though. Arrrgghh!

Most of the recent recordings (2001 and onward) I've found to be just fine, though.

1997 isn't too good either. NONE of Madison's 30-second-long chord can be heard, it's all cymbal crashes and cheering with a tiny hint of brass sound. Great show, though. Arrrgghh!

Most of the recent recordings (2001 and onward) I've found to be just fine, though.

I believe that the 1995-1997 recordings were produced by a different team than usual. It shows...1995 is treble turned up to 10, 1996 sounds muffled, and although 1997 was better, it suffered as well.

I like the 2000 recordings a lot, as well as 2003....although overall, 1994 might be my favorite. 1993 is close, but isn't loud enough. :)

Well, I don't exactly have the repetoire of recordings as many of you, but I do have a couple recordings and heard more that I do absolutely love. I am the biggest fan of 96 Phantom. I love the russian minor music! :laugh: I deffinately love 95 Cavies, the pit music is just so soothing and powerful when need be! and I have a bootleg 03 cavies before the new ending :angry: , love it, I think it was in an arc up cuz the backfield playing was pretty loud!

Edited by triplefunk

Well, as one who was in the stands that night, a big part of that is that the crowd WAS that loud. I was in the third deck, where you generally don't hear / feel a lot of the crowd noise, and it was NUTS. Easily the loudest drum corps crowd noise that I personally experienced, ever, and was right up there with the loudest I ever experienced at FSU, with twice as many people!

Oh, and the 95 recordings are easily the worst. Sounds like at least one mic was mounted under each corps' largest ride cymbal. Despite the TASTY shows from that year, it is a CD that practically never gets play in my home. Heck, I never even ripped that one for my digital collection!

I believe that the 1995-1997 recordings were produced by a different team than usual. It shows...1995 is treble turned up to 10, 1996 sounds muffled, and although 1997 was better, it suffered as well.

Tom Blair's hiatus was '95-'98

1995 treble from ####....1996 muffled but I also think they overcompensated by adding too much bass after the complaints from the year before