A DCI Audiophile Thread...

:laugh: 95. Hate it hate it hate it. Hate IBM for screwing it up...I think that's who it was. Edited by festive

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree - '95 recording is hot - in the bad way!

Anyone else try listening to Glassmen's recording from that year? At one point, it sounds like they crammed a microphone down the bell of one of the mellophones - that's all you can hear for a few seconds. Nothing but love for the mellophone, but that was a seriously poor recording.

Unfortunately, I have not purchased a DCI CD since '96. I thought about getting '03 and '05.

Just the opposite, and with no disrespcet to the ineffable Ken Kobald...

Haven't there been moments in the 70's where soloists were "left out" or not picked up??? Just thought I heard something about that once...

-TGB

:laugh: 95. Hate it hate it hate it. Hate IBM for screwing it up...I think that's who it was.

I couldn't agree more.

All you can hear on the 95 recordings is the pit and the crowd. Every so often, a hint of a hornline or drumline might come through, but it is soon drowned out by a suspended cymbal or applause/chatter from the stands. There were some excellent shows that year (madison, cavaliers and phantom are my favorite) and the fact that they were done this disservice is a travesty. The incredible music and power of these shows is almost lost to history because some company (I've also heard it was IBM) couldn't figure out how to make even a halfway decent recording. I've always hoped there are better recordings out there somewhere from 1995, but I guess that's pretty unlikely. I love watching these shows, but every time I do, I get angry because so much was lost in that churning sea of treble.

I'm panning the 1995 CD's too...

Rachmaninoff was one of my favorite Regiment shows and all you can hear on the impacts is cymbals, gongs and concert bass drum. :(

Edited by 81regiment

Well, as one who was in the stands that night, a big part of that is that the crowd WAS that loud. I was in the third deck, where you generally don't hear / feel a lot of the crowd noise, and it was NUTS. Easily the loudest drum corps crowd noise that I personally experienced, ever, and was right up there with the loudest I ever experienced at FSU, with twice as many people!

Too bad the crowd response to the Scouts this year is only a fraction of what it was in the '90s. Come on, show designers! Don't be stupid!

Worst year 95

Best year(s) - believe it or not, ON VINYL - 84 or 83. Those recordings have the widest dynamic range I have heard of any DCI recordings, even more than the Larry Rock 93, 89, successes. Unfortunately, 83 and 84 are not quite as good when compressed to CD, but still hold their own.

Just my thoughts.

Lee D.