DCI should discourage movement between corps

Interesting concept I suppose. The sad thing is that there isn't much respect for ribbon chasers in any field and they don't seem to realize it. But then again, what do I know, i'm just a parent beginning to get involved but I do know that I will be encouraging mine to march his 8 years in one corps and have it mean something to him more than a ring or ribbon

Good for you Casaba, trying get you son to march with one corps, LOYALTY like that is hard to find these days. Back in the 70's and 80's maybe the 90's I don't know, you spent your whole career with one drum corps, I DID !! Ten years through good times and bad !!

On the other hand, I think times have changed and the kids are trying to get as much corps culture as they can by marching with different corps every year !!

The corps directors may not like it because just when you think you have a great soloist he takes off for a different corps.

Be careful ladies and gentlemen of marching age, you find yourself on the cutting room floor before you know it !!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm......no.

Free markets work best in almost everything except "natural monopolies."

Same goes for corps. Allowing unfettered movement likely makes ALL corps stronger. Restricting access would probably lead to fewer members overall, and even fewer small corps.

It's like rent control -- it is well intentioned, but in exectuion actually does the opposite of it's goal. It creates less incentive for inexpensive housing, thus reducing the overall housing stock, and artificically increasing the rates for uncontrolled apartments. Living in Manhattan, take my word for this!

Besides, there are many reasons to change corps, and not all associated with "medal chasing." I went from Troopers to Cavaliers because I went to college in Chicago. If there had been rules to prevent the movement, I wouldn't have been in a corps at all.

Having lived in Boston and New York, it has been easy to participate in the alumni corps of two organizations I have loved since the '70s. It is possible to be a corps whore and still be loyal to all of them. I wore my Cavalier gears under my Bridgemen coat last night!

Rick

Going from DIII to DII to DI usually isn't much of a social problem, but going to another corps in the same division can cost you a lot of friends. I've seen it happen before and it isn't pretty. When I say that blood was shed I'm not condoning it, but I'm not exaggerating either. I've seen it happen. Drum Corps can be a VERY competive environment, which is why I never tell anyone on DCP what corps I marched with. That could be a recipe for collective trouble. JMHO.

Forgive me if someone said this already. (I looked over the whole thread but didn't read every post in depth.) But what would happen to a young kid who auditions for a top-tier corps and doesn't make the cut ... or to kids who already know they're not experienced enough to begin with ... and so they decide to march with a non-finalst D1 corps for a year or two before trying out for their dream corps. Should DCI really make a rule to crush their dream?

Wanting to march with your favorite corps isn't necessarily "ring chasing." If you've always wanted to march Cavaliers because you love their style, or for whatever other reason, but you don't have the skills (yet) to make the line, why should some dumb rule be made that would prevent you from spending a season or two in Southwind until you feel you're ready?

Going from DIII to DII to DI usually isn't much of a social problem, but going to another corps in the same division can cost you a lot of friends. I've seen it happen before and it isn't pretty. When I say that blood was shed I'm not condoning it, but I'm not exaggerating either. I've seen it happen. Drum Corps can be a VERY competive environment, which is why I never tell anyone on DCP what corps I marched with. That could be a recipe for collective trouble. JMHO.

When was this? Because I'm certainly aware of several people who have marched in more than one D1 corps over the years, and I've never heard of any "bloodshed." Is moving from Magic to BAC really gonna "cost you friends" in this day & age?

edit: And your last comment is funny, because I've noticed that the people here on DCP who make their corps experience known seem to receive a good deal of respect for it. (I marched in a short-lived A-60 corps named Mountain Magic.) I mean, if Nikk posted under an anonymous pseudonym, would anyone take him seriously? :worthy:

Edited by Orpheus

Wanting to march with your favorite corps isn't necessarily "ring chasing." If you've always wanted to march Cavaliers because you love their style, or for whatever other reason, but you don't have the skills (yet) to make the line, why should some dumb rule be made that would prevent you from spending a season or two in Southwind until you feel you're ready?

Or what if you get into Southwind and like it so much that you decide to age out there? If The Rule were in effect, you might be discouraged from even going anywhere but Cavies in the first place, little knowing that a great experience awaited you at another corps.

Or what if you marched a Top 6 corps, decided you didn't care for the corps's personality, and wanted to march a lower-ranking corps? Sit out a year? Why?

Anyway, I think we established a few pages ago that The Rule isn't a good idea. This sort of thing should be left unregulated.

edit: And your last comment is funny, because I've noticed that the people here on DCP who make their corps experience known seem to receive a good deal of respect for it. (I marched in a short-lived A-60 corps named Mountain Magic.) I mean, if Nikk posted under an anonymous pseudonym, would anyone take him seriously? :worthy:

I don't see what the big deal is with revealing one's corps affiliation. If you don't do anything to embarrass your corps's name, then what's the big deal? I think of it as being in uniform.

P.S. "A few pages ago" ... ? I'm only seeing three pages. :worthy:

It was a bad idea on page zero.

I don't see what the big deal is with revealing one's corps affiliation. If you don't do anything to embarrass your corps's name, then what's the big deal? I think of it as being in uniform.

No, you don't have to. I'm just saying that I don't see how telling people where you marched is a "recipe for collective trouble." LOL