DCI should discourage movement between corps

I agree with that 100%

seconded

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... staffing and design (in this day and age) overcomes a lot of talent...

Smart man general!

Although not feasible IMO:

A "salary cap" on staff would go much farther if corps equity is your goal. Maybe even budget caps? It would force corps to work withn similiar budgets, and stop the arms race of the big boys.

A few examples: Some staff members make a paltry thousand a summer while others make a few grand (or more). Where would you teach? As an arranger/designer, would you rather arrange for free or 10 grand? How about volunteering even? Some corps fly out drivers and pay them, others still look for unpaid volunteers. (one corps wanted me to fly out to meet them at my own expense of $700 last summer to drive....had to turn down that offer) Just food for thought.

Here's the problem. If you were to take, for example the current 135 members of the Cavaliers, go back to the beginning of the season and put them with Pioneer, you wouldn't all the sudden see Pioneer in 1st place. They wouldn't even crack the top 12.

To switch it around, you could take Magic's entire corps and send them to Blue Devils. They most definately wouldn't be in 1st place, but they would still be in the top 6.

It all comes down to show design and staff.

Although it would be nice to see all the corps (and that includes D2 and D3 corps) fully populated this idea will not work. The members pay for the privelege to perform; therefore, in a way DC is a CONSUMER PRODUCT for the participant as well as the spectator. You could not ever enforce this idea; and frankly, it is up to the corps to dictate the terms of membership; and face any unintended consequences as such. DCI already has a policy in place up to the point where rosters are turned in for eligibility verification that does not allow for corps swapping within a season once a member is locked in unless there are mitigating circumstances.

You will always have ring/medal shopping. It is the American way....and that is what has made DC here better than any in the world; even with the smaller corps. :whistle:

mabye a bit off topic, but i think it would be cool if they had some sort of joint audition. All applicants for 5 or 6 corps in one area could gather at the same time to one area. Staff from each corps could evaluate applicants and chose them for a corps based on their abilites and style. There should be representatives from all divisions and all placement levels. Then everyone who wants a spot will probably get one with out having to waste money on traveling and trying to find another corps if their first doesn't pan out. It would be a logistical head ache, but it's a thought.

mabye a bit off topic, but i think it would be cool if they had some sort of joint audition. All applicants for 5 or 6 corps in one area could gather at the same time to one area. Staff from each corps could evaluate applicants and chose them for a corps based on their abilites and style. There should be representatives from all divisions and all placement levels. Then everyone who wants a spot will probably get one with out having to waste money on traveling and trying to find another corps if their first doesn't pan out. It would be a logistical head ache, but it's a thought.

So a brass guy from Blue Devils is going to turn to a brass guy from Phantom and say, "Hey, why don't you take that guy?" Why should one corps have a say in who gets into someone else's corps? Somehow I don't think there'd be much objectivity there.

I don't understand all this effort to try to reinvent the wheel. Competitively, corps should and do survive on their own merits.

Since parents and marching members have to pay to march rather than get paid this will never work. I remember finding out how much different corps cost and was amazed. Also the travel to camps can kill a budget. In the case proposed by the original poster the "business model" is not applicable.

Since parents and marching members have to pay to march rather than get paid this will never work. I remember finding out how much different corps cost and was amazed. Also the travel to camps can kill a budget. In the case proposed by the original poster the "business model" is not applicable.

Well look on the bright side - perhaps next year you'll see some of the excellent talent from the cadets move on to other corps - after the crappy show they are forced to perform this year.

Well look on the bright side - perhaps next year you'll see some of the excellent talent from the cadets move on to other corps - after the crappy show they are forced to perform this year.

Don't pull me in on this stuff. I don't ever bash corps. I know I'm not a drum corps expert. :sshh: