Best Recording of Danny Boy

IMHO as someone who played it for four years, 1975 was the best arrangement - Irish Washerwoman lick in the ending was watered down in 1976, but '75 sops handled it really well.

1994 was the most emotional. The Danny Thomas Theme (jazzed up version) is my least favorite. We played it for a while in 1978.

Many 27th alumni (I would venture to say MOST, but am only speaking from experience), would NOT list "DB" as their favorite Lancer song. Mine was the Chicago medley of "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" and "Beginnings". )Available on 27th Lancer web sight - very hip arrangements for the early 70's. Other alumni would likely choose "Shenandoah", "Crown Imperial", "Rawhide", or another favorite from the early 70's. Later alumni might choose one of the Don Ellis tunes. Might be a good thread to move to historic discussions....

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To change the subject a bit, I vote for 1973 when it comes to "Crown Imperial". The lead sopranos had command!!

DEFINATLY! "Crown Imperial" as an opener and "Danny Boy" as a closer. WOW that was something!

DEFINATLY! "Crown Imperial" as an opener and "Danny Boy" as a closer. WOW that was something!

Thats why I love the 27th's 1975 show more than any other. They serve as perfect Bookends for what was IMHO one of the best shows ever put on the field. :whistle: Add 3 Dog Night's Celebrate with the flag and rifle work and it was a classic. Just a great show and the finals performance in Philly had em throwing babies!

Jim Wolf

1994 without a doubt, and I DO have the recording.

The combination of the huge corps and the

crowd response....oohh man it was awesome.

Danny Boy any Year great Exit as far as my all time 27th song really loved the 73 concert don't know the name of the song.

Crown Imperial/Reflections/African Suite

Soulamon/Trilogy

Rawhide

Shenandoah

Classical Gas

Impossible Dream

Mennen Vien

The Concert in 73 was not Classical Gas what song would have been the concert?

Mason Williams, the composer of Classical Gas has a website called www.classicalgas.com that has the history of the song, and lots of anecdotes about it. If you go to 27th's website and listen to their arrangement stand up and try marking time to it. There is no way a drum corps in 1973 would have attempted to march through the entire song. To the best of my recollection, it was, indeed, their concert piece.

Had 72 on record and have 79 on CD and problem is you can barely hear the beginning of DB because the corps is (really) facing away from the mics. Is there any recording where you can hear the intro without cranking the speakers?

Mason Williams, the composer of Classical Gas has a website called www.classicalgas.com that has the history of the song, and lots of anecdotes about it. If you go to 27th's website and listen to their arrangement stand up and try marking time to it. There is no way a drum corps in 1973 would have attempted to march through the entire song. To the best of my recollection, it was, indeed, their concert piece.

Was played as part of a 27th greatest hits if you will after concert number with Rawhide Shenandoah Classical Gas and Impossible Dream I have 73 on record and listen to it often one of there best years IMHO.