4th is anyones to take

SCV's show is fantastic this year. Even if they finish 6th it will be a huge step forward in progress and something to be proud of seeing how tight this competition is. Kinda reminds me of 1990...the top 6 were really moving and moving till the very end so even if you finished 6th it could just as easily have been 4th the very next night.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Bad, but Cadets just may pull a rabbit out of a hat! :)

rimshotTerrance b**bs

They've already got a rabbit on the field, so maybe they'd better pull something else out...a duck maybe? Or let's go really bizarre to fit the show...pull a bat out of hat and let the DM bite his head off. B)

and hey...if 4th place is "anyone's to take", give it to Spirit, just for the heck of it. That wouldn't bother me a bit!

Edited by ssorrell

I still think that Blooo is going to take #4.

SCV's show is fantastic this year. Even if they finish 6th it will be a huge step forward in progress and something to be proud of seeing how tight this competition is. Kinda reminds me of 1990...the top 6 were really moving and moving till the very end so even if you finished 6th it could just as easily have been 4th the very next night.

True, but you gotta remember that many kids (not all, but some) are gonna look at placements when they decide which corps to audition for. Especially bandos that are new to drum corps and don't know any of the history. I know I was this way when I first decided to audition in 2003. After viewing Cavies 2002 show... as far as I was concerned there was no other corps worth marching. :P I didn't make it, so I looked into things more in 2004 and decided that I liked SCV the best. But if SCV had placed 8th in 2003 (like we did last year), would I have auditioned there? Nope. Wouldn't have even thought twice about it either. Now that I'm more "in the loop" of things I understand why that would have been a dumb move, but the average H.S. kid that sees DCI for the first time on ESPN2 because their band director gave them a flyer wouldn't. I mean ####, ask any random bando kid that saw 2004 Finals on PBS. They know that The Cavaliers won and the Blue Devils got 2nd. Do they know that the scores were ridiculously close and it could have gone either way on any given night? Nope, and they don't care. Because The Cavaliers won and BD got 2nd. That's all they'll remember.

My point is that yeah, to those that have been following the activity for a while the placements won't matter. But for the corps actually competing... they placements are a HUGE deal. The better the placement, the better the talent pool for next year.

Edited by I play the baritone good

True, but you gotta remember that many kids (not all, but some) are gonna look at placements when they decide which corps to audition for. Especially bandos that are new to drum corps and don't know any of the history. I know I was this way when I first decided to audition in 2003. After viewing Cavies 2002 show... as far as I was concerned there was no other corps worth marching. :P I didn't make it, so I looked into things more in 2004 and decided that I liked SCV the best. But if SCV had placed 8th in 2003 (like we did last year), would I have auditioned there? Nope. Wouldn't have even thought twice about it either. Now that I'm more "in the loop" of things I understand why that would have been a dumb move, but the average H.S. kid that sees DCI for the first time on ESPN2 because their band director gave them a flyer wouldn't. I mean ####, ask any random bando kid that saw 2004 Finals on PBS. They know that The Cavaliers won and the Blue Devils got 2nd. Do they know that the scores were ridiculously close and it could have gone either way on any given night? Nope, and they don't care. Because The Cavaliers won and BD got 2nd. That's all they'll remember.

My point is that yeah, to those that have been following the activity for a while the placements won't matter. But for the corps actually competing... they placements are a HUGE deal. The better the placement, the better the talent pool for next year.

With all due respect, I really hope SCV isn't interested in or in need of "the average H.S. kid that sees DCI for the first time on ESPN2 because their band director gave them a flyer".

I would seriously hope they are drawing returning members who want to continue their drum corps experience with a classy organization that they love and respect - because it treated them with the same. And I would hope the new members of SCV are there because they admire SCV for a long tradition of greatness - and to help continue that tradition... no matter where they think the corps might place. And to be a member of a corps that exudes class and integrity - no matter where they place.

Just my 2 cents...

B)

when it comes down to it though...i think that SCV and the Cadets have been in this place many many many times...the corps have a history and they will do their alum proud...Bloo I think will falter a little, not much, but enough for SCV to pass them and put them in 6th overall...

Have heard this (or variations of it) for the last few weeks. This issue of history giving SCV and Cadets an edge in Finals week just doesn't hold water with me since last year when the Bluecoats made the single biggest gain Finals night. Increased the spread over Madison and shortened the spread to BD. SCV and Cadets also improved, SCV jumping Boston if my memory serves and Cadets opening up their lead on Cavies. Point is, all three drove hard to the finish line and I think all three will again this year.

Not sure what's gonna happen, I'm just glad I'll be there to see it !!! b**bs

Disclaimer -- could be wrong about the "single biggest gain" part, faulty memory and all, but they did gain each night throughout the weekend.

Have heard this (or variations of it) for the last few weeks. This issue of history giving SCV and Cadets an edge in Finals week just doesn't hold water with me since last year when the Bluecoats made the single biggest gain Finals night. Increased the spread over Madison and shortened the spread to BD. SCV and Cadets also improved, SCV jumping Boston if my memory serves and Cadets opening up their lead on Cavies. Point is, all three drove hard to the finish line and I think all three will again this year.

Not sure what's gonna happen, I'm just glad I'll be there to see it !!! b**bs

Disclaimer -- could be wrong about the "single biggest gain" part, faulty memory and all, but they did gain each night throughout the weekend.

I agree! I only think SCV has a better chance at claiming 4th than Bluecoats or Cadets, because IMO they have the better product. However, Bluecoats are solid and it's going to be tough to beat them for #4. I still think the Cadets will beat both of them at finals though. It will be interesting.

I don't care about 5th or 6th, I just want Bluecoats in 4th! Their best season in history deserves to be rewarded with their best finish in history. Plus, it's a great show. :)

I don't care about 5th or 6th, I just want Bluecoats in 4th! Their best season in history deserves to be rewarded with their best finish in history. Plus, it's a great show. :)

Agreed. I always have trouble saying that I hope some show places higher because then you have to place some other show lower and I can never decide who should move down. This is why I generally don't give a hoot about scores and placements -- that's for judges and program inserts and website archives. But (now totally going against what I just said !! B) ), it would be nice if the Bluecoats get the "official" recognition of their best show/season in history.

Doesn't diminish their success if the judges see it differently, though -- not one bit ....