First time at Finals!

Oops - you're right. That should be Thursday through Sunday - we'll be there Thursday through Sunday, and have tickets for Friday and Saturday night.

That would be something - if we had tickets for the wrong nights!! Dumb, but funny. :laugh:

Watch the show and enjoy it! And if I were you, I would check out my FREE Quarterfinals tickets over in the DCP Marketplace. Since you are going, why not check out quarters too? At least with some tickets you can get in to see your son perform, and you don't have to stay for the whole show if you don't want to. I just hate to see the tickets go to waste.

What to expect at finals ????

....the unexpected !!!!

Have a great time, cheer for all the corps and remember that these kids have bust their collective behinds all summer long, as I did for ten years !!!!

Enjoy yourselves !!! B)

A couple of recommendations

1. Go to the rehearsal site (if you can) or the stadium parking lot once the corps arives on Friday and try to meet some other corps parents. You'd be surprised how great some of the veteran moms and dads are. They can give you a lot of advice about having a child in corps (what post-tour is like, what to ask/not ask, etc.). Also, if your son has more years with his corps, these people can be great friends along the way.

2. Be in the stands for the whole show Saturday. Enjoy it. And let your son's performance surprise you.

3. You can/should take pictures as the corps enter or leave the field and during retreat, but don't do it during the shows. You just can't enjoy it the same way while looking through a camera.

4. Turn off your cell phone during the show :laugh:

5. Think of a surprise your son might enjoy. Maybe homemade cookies, a case of his favorite soda, or even something special from home. Surprise him with it when you meet up after his last show. He is going to be very emotional after marching the last time, as he realizes that this summer was one of the toughest and most rewarding commitments of his life. Just hearing "I love you and I am proud of you" will mean a lot to him.

Our son was in the Cavaliers, but things should be similar with the Cadets.

Since you get in on Thursday, go to the stadium if you get the chance and catch Quarters. Tickets are plentiful and cheap. Or you can find the rehearsal site for the Cadets and go there, watch rehearsal. It is possible that it is closed, but I know the Cavaliers never did that and I have visited Cadets and BD rehearsals during Finals Week in the past. If you do go. Stay back. Don't go to your child, instead let him/her come to you when and if it is appropriate. Your presence will be enough. Be positive and leave things about home out of the conversation unless asked. Don't stay too long.

Meet other Cadet supporters at the rehearsal site. Find out where people will be gathering prior to Finals. Usually there is a formal or informal get-together. Great opportunity to go and talk up your favorite corps.

Be sure to attend all of Finals. It is fabulous. If you want to go to the souvie booths or visit the warmup areas during the shows, do this on Semis, paticularly if you were able to catch Quarters. Make sure you get to see each of the corps at least once. It is amazing how good they are this year.

If you do go the hear the Cadets warmup prior to any of the shows, that really is the time to stay in the background. Do not be a distraction.

Think about what your child will have missed most during tour. Can you have this as a surprise on Saturday night? Our son always stayed with us on Saturday night after Finals. You don't get back to your hotel until 1:00am or later. You need to plan for this late return.

Enjoy. Take lots of pictures. Expect that your child will be more concerned about leaving the friends that were formed over the summer than seeing you at the end. Than's OK.

Wow, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. There were many very good and thoughtful suggestions that hadn't occurred to me. I really appreciate the ideas.

Didn't quite make Johnnyboy's quarterfinal tickets as I couldn't quite resurrect my eBay and payPal accounts in time, but thanks again for letting me know about them. I think we'll have a good time watching corps warm ups in the lot, and I guess we can always scare up some tickets there if we decide we want to see quarters.

Someone recommended taking video of section warm-ups in the lot, which I'd love to do, but where do you store your video camera afterwards? You can't bring it into the stadium and you have to take a shuttle to the stadium. So, unless you can store it on the corps bus, I don't know what else could be done with it.

Anyway, everybody enjoy finals - live, Season Pass, or in the reviews!