Auditioning for Phantom Regiment

cwdman89

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm looking for some PR advice as well. Not completely sure i'm auditioning..but i'm really interested. =)

First of all, no matter which corps you audition for, practice for tone quality and flexibility. Know you can do liquid-smooth lip slurs. Also, both in marching and playing, don't alter what you've already been taught to try and "fit in" with what that corps does. If they want something special, they'll explain it there. They want to know what you already know, and that you have potential.

• 4 weeks later...

Tone, Technique, marching.......

Practice everything as it will make you better in the end. This hornline is fun to play with and the corps is a dream to be in.

PM me for more info

MM-2006

The advice is nonspecific, because the things that are most important are universally true.

Have the best tone quality possible for the range you want to play. Can't play a G above the staff? No one cares, as long as you can nail a lower part. Regiment has set audition pieces now, so you should have a good idea where you fall. Also, don't forget to play musically - all the highs louder and the lows lower with melodic direction in between.

Attitude is HUGE. Don't be cocky, but don't be a push-over either. Just be relaxed and confident, and know that you belong there.

Volunteer! If they ask for a volunteer, you better have your hand up first and be ready to show off whatever they have been teaching. Being able to take corrections, adapt, and utilize what it is the staff is telling you is gold.

Also, depending on what horn you are wanting to play - start doing push ups yesterday. If your wanting to play euph, then you better be a rock at the first camp. You will get put through the paces, and people that can't hold up the horn will not make it, simple. Also, sit-ups are great for strengthening your core, which will help your marching and your general posture so that you have less tension and will sound better.

General advice that everyone will give, but its true.

Make sure you play well and make sure you march well.

Helpful?

If you want advice on how to get in a specific corps, why don't you actually ask the people that run auditions there? You'll almost certainly get a reply. There's a chance it might be just as unspecific, but at least you'll hear it from the horse's mouth. You might even get lucky and get something specific/original/helpful/profound.

I suppose it is possible the first two posters actually did this, but in my experience, 95% of auditioners never do.

F. G.

P.S. LOL "pushups", "sit-ups" and "core" :laugh: