DCI is moving to Indy

I know that there has been a lot of discussion about DCI's offer to move to Indy. It looks like they are going to go through with it.

Indy Star Article

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard this briefly mentioned on the news this morning in Indianapolis and went straight to dci.org to see if I could find a press release of any kind. I wasn't able to find any information there, but the Indianapolis Star has already published a story.

As a drum corps fan and an Indianapolis native, I couldn't be more excited! Thoughts?

Ken

Woot!

<--- Now accepting application from DCPers looking for a place to stay in 2008 B)

I was very impressed with the article. Lots of information from someone who's obviously done some research. And bringing in comments from two local high school (and two of the very best high school bands in the nation) was a nice touch as well.

Wow this is huge. Never before has DCI committed to a single location for finals for 10 years! Let's just hope they never, EVER, have to close the roof and have a dome show for finals. Lord...the sound in a dome...ugh.

I know that there has been a lot of discussion about DCI's offer to move to Indy. It looks like they are going to go through with it.

Indy Star Article

I know this was meant in the best way possible, but *shudders*

"DCI in many ways is the NASCAR of music," he said. "The loyalty of its participants, their families and their friends is right at the very top level.
Edited by boilerman_05

I know this was meant in the best way possible, but *shudders*

I thought the same thing too. Its a relatively decent analogy though in terms of fan loyalty and a niche audience. Even if the two activities couldn't be more culturally distinct.

yay for domes.. <_<

i think DCI has officially $old out

The article says finals will be in Lucas Oil Stadium, which is not a dome (or is it??).

That being said, I think this is a good move for DCI. Logistically it will be easier for corps to get there (I-70 / I-465 are good and easily accesible roads). Plus those who need to fly in can do so will a little more ease and less cost then, let's say, flying into Madison. If Indy's airport isn't cost-effective, Cincinnati Ohio's airport is only about an hour-and-a-half away, and many airlines fly in there.

The climate will also be less volatile. We all know it's too hot in Orlando, as well as rain being more probable in other locations in the south.

Indianapolis also offers some nice surroundings for tourists, and has ample hotel space to host DCI finals. I also think that office space might be a little cheaper in that area as well.

The only drawback, or complaint, I would have is that the west coast corps are slightly getting hosed again! I would favor every third or fourth year moving finals to a location a little further west (KC or Denver).