DCI is moving to Indy

Bad: No mystery about where finals are going to be, so we will have nothing to talk about on DCP :P

As long as there are amps, George Hopkins, and people who prefer G bugles, there will always be something to talk about on DCP. :laugh:

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who thinks this is a HORRIBLE idea? TEN YEARS is a LONG time and although this article makes Indy out to be like the artistic capital of America, it's really a crappy C-List American city. And while this may be good for people in and around Indianapolis, what about DCI fans nationwide? What about high school students who look forward to when DCI comes to their city or state, or coast, that will be denied this. What about alums of corps who only can attend finals when it's close by? What about parents/friends and family of members who don't live near there.

And we're not talking about THREE years, we're talking about TEN. That's a LONG TIME. This is an awful idea to the rest of the country.

Why didn't DCI have a championship there and see how it went and then decide? I feel like DCI is buying a car that hasn't even been built, let alone tested. and for TEN years...

A: We must let the NCAA know immediately that they've moved their headquarters to a "crappy C-List American city" and that they've agreed to hold their Division I Men's Championship every four years in the same. Also add to that list the Percussive Arts Society, whatever the names are of the violine players' association and the flute players association.

B: What percentage of high school students have ever had DCI Worlds come to their city or state? Think about the Pacific Northwest, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Ohio, Indiana for that matter, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, etc. Also: The same goes for the "parents/friends and family of members..."

C: Every city is close by when you've got an airport. We live in the golden age of transportation.

D: You're right. Ten years IS a long time...a long time not to worry about reinventing the wheel, finding new housing, breaking in local committees, worrying about rain washing out finals for the first time ever, and a host of other logistical concerns.

E: I'm sure this decision was not reached without much consideration, and it certainly could not have been reached without concensus. We'll be learning more as time progresses.

What state do you live in again? :P

I live in northwest Indiana. Indy isn't much closer than Madison to where I live (near Chicago).

Where I live has nothing to do with my feeling this is a great thing for DCI, the corps, the marchers and the fans.

But I'm sure anything I say about this will be suspect (and I know you're just playing with me, so I'm not taking it wrong) because I write for DCI and am a resident of Indiana. (I only get Chicago television stations and read Chicago newspapers.)

It's a great thing, logistically, for DCI and most of the corps (sorry, west coast).

Michael and several people have touched on what is probably the biggest part of the announcement.

THE CITY WANTS US THERE!!!

Face it gang, most cities don't want us because of the special needs we have... sleeping overnight in their schools and trampling out the vintage where the grapes of football are stored. The headaches we bring don't make up for the dollars we spend.

We won't have all the housing problems in Indy we have everywhere else as long as we take care of the place.

It'll be nice to have a home to call our own, where you know your way around.

The corps will have fewer logistical issues and will be able to spend their time perfecting their shows instead of finding the local horn repair shop.

Wait and see, it's going to be great.

you guys can complain as much as you want, but this was a smart move. retractable roofs are the future. why have a week-long world championship competition ruined because of rain?

indy is also in the center of the USA, the fairest place for all corps.

indy is also in the center of the USA,

This statement is not at all accurate, but I understand your point.

As for myself, I can't deny that I feel a little cheated on this. I love having finals at different places, and we can't all live in Indy. Granted, the odds of finals ever coming back to Texas are less than 0 anyway because people are pansies about the heat, but what are you gonna do? :P

Good move on DCI's part.

I live in northwest Indiana. Indy isn't much closer than Madison to where I live (near Chicago).

Where I live has nothing to do with my feeling this is a great thing for DCI, the corps, the marchers and the fans.

But I'm sure anything I say about this will be suspect (and I know you're just playing with me, so I'm not taking it wrong) because I write for DCI and am a resident of Indiana. (I only get Chicago television stations and read Chicago newspapers.)

Really, you could say you live in the state of Chicago, it'd be more applicable than Indianapolis.

This statement is not at all accurate, but I understand your point.

As for myself, I can't deny that I feel a little cheated on this. I love having finals at different places, and we can't all live in Indy. Granted, the odds of finals ever coming back to Texas are less than 0 anyway because people are pansies about the heat, but what are you gonna do? :P

Good move on DCI's part.

We aren't pansies, we just don't want to rehearse on the surface of the sun if we can avoid it. I call that logical. :P Edited by boilerman_05