Media Pre-order is up!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as soon as the CDs are out, they're ripped and shared as well. It's not like these are hard to find, unfortunately.

Well, as soon as the CDs are out, they're ripped and shared as well. It's not like these are hard to find, unfortunately.

But it's DCI. I WANT A PHYSICAL COPY OF A CD SO I CAN LISTEN TO CROSSMEN OR COLTS OR BLUE STARS OR...

Why do I have this feeling that the CD package will be changing shortly... :)

Not really. Digital music sales are a small fraction of total music sales. Most people like having an actual CD and being able to listen to it in CD players and rip it to whatever bitrate they want. I'll be pretty disappointed if I'm forced to download APD's and then convert one lossy format to another lossy format to play it on my ipod.

Even so, the progression is going towards online music downloading and music players. The CD is a dying breed. An iPod or any other playing device holds a ton of songs without the CD clutter and it's getting much easier to implement them with car stereos, home stereos, etc. The only other medium, PC software, is doing to eiter DVDs to do away with multiple CDs or also going to downloads.

Even so, the progression is going towards online music downloading and music players. The CD is a dying breed. An iPod or any other playing device holds a ton of songs without the CD clutter and it's getting much easier to implement them with car stereos, home stereos, etc. The only other medium, PC software, is doing to eiter DVDs to do away with multiple CDs or also going to downloads.

But the APD quality is NO WHERE NEAR the quality of a CD. For some music, that's not a huge issue (mp3 mediocrequality /lowish bit-rate vs. high bit-rate/superior quality of CD's) , but with drum corps it's pretty huge. I mean, let's face it: ANY recording of a drum corps show is going to be inferior to seeing/hearing it live. I'd rather not have the degraded APD quality be the ONLY recording of shows available forever.

Perhaps I'm just a pseudo-audiophile, but I'm the kind of guy that doesn't like mp3 and prefers lossless files like SHN and FLAC instead of mp3. These APD's are great when you live in California and can't make the trip to Indy to see the big regional and want to hear what's going on with your favorite corps. But for finals, APD's are a far inferior quality than the CD's, and it's a shame for all of us that that's all we'll get.

Plus, for Mac users, it REALLY sucks because APD's are already a pain in the butt as far as trying to transfer them to iPods. I believe you have to burn the APD files to CD, then re-rip them into iTunes, then put them on the iPod.

I'm not a huge fan of the APD's anyway, and it's a darn shame that DCI is not going to offer ALL of the Open Class corps on the CD's and instead relying on people to have to dowload track by track non-Finalist corps.

Oh, and what about some of the older fans who aren't exaclty internet savy? I know plenty of drum corps fans that buy the CD's every year who don't go online, and certainly don't download anything. I'm sure this is a small number of fans, but it is leaving some out.

I've been very hyped about stuff DCI has done for us over the last few years, but this one get's a HUGE thumbs down from me

<**>

If I can find a way to hook my MP3 player up to my car, I'll be happy with that.
You can get a radio transmitter for your iPod (or MP3 player of your choice). You just plug it into your headphone jack and tune to a specific radio frequency. They were around 40 bucks last time I checked (about 2 years ago).

I've got one of those. Problem is, it's radio sound quality. If I knew anything about my car, I'd see if there was a way to hook the player directly into the audio, like what some of these newer cars are able to do with iPods.