DCI Commentators

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, yeah. That one was painfully inappropriate. :drool:

What about Rondo's comment after the Colts: "The Guard looks Luscious".

Gee ... Thank you, Uncle Pervey.

DeLucia was showing his "old school" with the comment about "finish you off" ... It was a '70s thing.

Also, what about the "Blue Stars won the Silver medal in '72" comment? Double-plus good on the Newspeak Rondo. Almost didn't count in '72 ... Blue Stars were second that year (and a #### good corps at that.)

What about Rondo's comment after the Colts: "The Guard looks Luscious".

Gee ... Thank you, Uncle Pervey.

unfortunately i didnt' get to hear that thanks to our "indoor rain delay." (nashvegas got hit with a storm and knocked out the end of the colts show until the beginning of the glassmen)

Here's a novel concept: why not point out the good AND the bad? If I was a drum corps neophyte, I'd want them to explain the strengths and the weaknesses.

Exactly. And I think Steve and Dennis did a great job of doing both last nite.

For my money, though, if I were new to the activity and paying to see 2 professionals talk about the show, I would rather be prompted to look for the "good" in the show, instead of DeLucia finding one "rip" comment for every corps.

My frame of reference is the mid-80's to the early-90's, but I remember the Rondo show on Finals night being to the effect of - "Look for the screamers in that Madison soprano line", "Watch how fast and far the Cadets drumline marches", "Keep an eye on the Cavaliers Guard - They're something special to watch", etc., not "I think the Bluecoats may have Peaked too soon", "Carolina Crown has weakness in their drumline", and "The Phantom guard shouldn't have a drop like that - it's very disturbing". Though accurate, I'm not sure it is the most appropriate venue for that kind of Criticism.

Now, I like "Old School" as much as everyone, but save it for critique. Highlight for the crowd - don't tell us what mistakes to look for.

You would have had to get there an hour early like I did to hear it but before the show they were playing clips from "Field Pass" and one interview they did was with Tom Blair. He explained that the Movie Theater show more than anything else that he produces is for Drum Corps fans. He went on to talk about how he uses a lot of wider angles and puts more focus on the audio for the Cinecast. So I'm thinking that everybody involved came into it from a drum corps prospective. DeLucia probably figured that most people in the audience already knew Carolina doesn't have a top tier drumline or that every saw all the drops in PR's show and knew that it would hurt them.

Of all the DCI products that have been made available to the general public I think this years Cinecast was the one that was most directed at people who already know Drum Corps.

Now, I like "Old School" as much as everyone, but save it for critique. Highlight for the crowd - don't tell us what mistakes to look for.

Absolutely not. They called it like they saw it last night, and I was really appreciative. I've grown weary of the "sunshine and lollypops" comments following every corps performances the last few years.