DCI Commentators

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Were Steve and Dennis unaware at some of the comments they made last nite? Did anyone else notice? While funny, I'm sure someone, somewhere was upset.

I was here..sitting in the stands watching live.

Can you give us some Quotes, i'd be curious to know what they said.

I think they were just Freudian Slips but,

after the interview with the Crossmen pit member who did the Spanish radio, Steve said "Well I thought he said 'tacos for everybody.'"

and Dennis made a comment about *i think* the Bluecoats show how it "didn't finish you off like you want it to."

they made for great applause and laughs at the time.

Can you give us some Quotes, i'd be curious to know what they said.

He's probably talking about comments such as about the Cadets, "They're not for everybody" and "there's so much going on that sometimes it's hard to focus." Or about BK, "cerebral, not visceral" (read: "boring"). And mentioning dirt when they saw it, like Dennis said of PR, "You can't have that many guard drops in a championship show."

Note: the above are summations of some of the things they said, based upon my imperfect memory, not direct quotes.

The only thing mildly offensive was the tacos comment, but I can't imagine any harm was intending.

What surprised me were their comments after the Cadets. It's like they were being fans, color commentators rather than cheerleaders. They tried to rationalize the show, give you a reason to like it, but made it pretty clear that it wasn't their cup of tea. I thought it was a remarkable human moment, and I woudl have liked more like it.

Were Steve and Dennis unaware at some of the comments they made last nite? Did anyone else notice? While funny, I'm sure someone, somewhere was upset.

For my money, though, if I were new to the activity and paying to see 2 professionals talk about the show, I would rather be prompted to look for the "good" in the show, instead of DeLucia finding one "rip" comment for every corps.

My frame of reference is the mid-80's to the early-90's, but I remember the Rondo show on Finals night being to the effect of - "Look for the screamers in that Madison soprano line", "Watch how fast and far the Cadets drumline marches", "Keep an eye on the Cavaliers Guard - They're something special to watch", etc., not "I think the Bluecoats may have Peaked too soon", "Carolina Crown has weakness in their drumline", and "The Phantom guard shouldn't have a drop like that - it's very disturbing". Though accurate, I'm not sure it is the most appropriate venue for that kind of Criticism.

Now, I like "Old School" as much as everyone, but save it for critique. Highlight for the crowd - don't tell us what mistakes to look for.