The Big star in Regiment's show

That's more than just a star - it's a pentagram (Satanic symbol), fitting with the Faust story. I am glad the good guys win in the end, though!!!

That's more than just a star - it's a pentagram (Satanic symbol), fitting with the Faust story. I am glad the good guys win in the end, though!!!

Coupled with the fact that they are leaning back, BD style, blowing their faces off with the theme from "Veless and Ala..." yeah..thats AMAZING!!!! GO REGIMENT!!!!! BEAT BD!!!!!

It's actually a Pagan symbol. But yes, it is often associated with satanic ritual. Not sure where that all started. ^0^

YEAH MAN! What he said... didn't you ever see DaVinci Code :P :blink:

YEAH MAN! What he said... didn't you ever see DaVinci Code :P :blink:

Now batting for the Pagans and Symbologists, Professor TGB:

The Pentagram / Pentacle /Cool five-pointed star thingy is a geometric design associated with European Paganism. If you’ve read anything by Dan Brown (DaVinci Code, Angels & Demons, etc.) you realize that symbols and their meaning undergo transformations – their meanings change with time and social currents.

This particular ancient and much maligned symbol use to represent astral cycles, celestial bodies, and their orbits. These events in turn stood for “feminine” cycles, especially reproduction. The symbol then became associated with Motherhood and The Goddess. It is believed by some that the five-pointed pattern of lines that make a “star” follows the path of the planet Venus as it “moves” (from our point of view on Earth, anyways…) across the sky. In classical polytheistic belief systems, Venus is a goddess of love, beauty and the feminine. Her “star” (planet, point of light in the sky) followed that “star-like” pattern in the nighttime sky, which early astronomers charted, and subsequently created a simple geometric symbol that represents Venus. Yadda, yadda, yadda… :)

Anyways… Modern day occultists may have borrowed the ancient Pentacle, inverting it (turning it upside down), and so forth. More likely, the “satanic” association comes from the early Christian church trying to take hold in Europe. All things associated with Paganism – classical or otherwise – were abolished, and deemed “demonic” – anti-Christian, at the very least. The fact that “The Church” deemed the Pentacle “bad” may have more to do with its “evil” connotations than Satanism itself. Put simply, modern day “Satanists” (usually punk teens, noisy “scream-o” bands, ^0^ and others trying to “freak out” their parents and the “establishment”) don the inverted Pentacle as a way to show non-Christian, or “non-traditional” affiliations or beliefs… but not necessarily “Satanic” affiliations per se. :blink:

Hope this helps, gang… You can google Pentacle or Pentagram for more detailed histories, or, as I always recommend, (if you like a good fiction or you’re into drama about symbols and stuff) read a Dan Brown novel.

- TGB

PS. – Sorry if this offended anyone – Just FYI: I’m a practicing agnostic, so please DO NOT evangelize to me on this thread or via a PM – been there, worshiped that, wrote the research paper. You may however, respectfully share your opinions, beliefs, and philosophies with me, but my mind is pretty much made up, gang. Thanks for your respectful consideration. May whatever being you worship bless you and yours!

...If you’ve read anything by Dan Brown (DaVinci Code, Angels & Demons, etc.)...

Some good points, but if you take everything you read in fiction as fact, you're in trouble.

Was an interesting movie, though. :)

Edited by Wild Nights

Some good points, but if you take everything you read in fiction as fact, you're in trouble.

Was an interesting movie, though. :)

True... again, I recommend Dan Brown as a "dramatic" interpretation of "symbology" - however, it is true that the meaning - especially the "social context" of an image or symbol changes over centuries, even over decades.

Actually, now that I think about it... :blink: if you take everything you read as fact, you're probably in trouble... History is after all written by the victor - the vanquished usually have little left to say or document. :P Thanks for the insight, Wild Nights!

-TGB

Edited by euphonium96

After seeing Regiment in the theater (loved it by the way), and all the various symbols and characters associated with the devil (at least by many people, even if it is an incorrect association), I was remembering back to BD 95 and the reactions they got at certain shows in the South. Anyone know if some similar things happened with Regiment this year? The endings of the shows are fundamentally different at least, but it still made me wonder. Does someone out there know anything?