Hooters Drum Corps

Oh good lord. Go to bed.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh...I know this thread was meant in jest, but this reminded me of something that really bothered me while watching the Cinecast this year. It seems like the guards in drumcorps are getting more and more sexual each year. This, to me, is inappropriate, especially considering the age of the performers and the age of the audience who sees them. I mean, I really wanted to bring my son to the Denton, Texas contest this year, but I couldn't afford it. So, he stayed with my folks while my wife and I went. Well, after seeing the Cadets' "Red queen", I was GLAD he wasn't there to see it. Very inappropriate attire, in my opinion (yes, I'm a "prude"), and it's just more evidence of the sexualization of young people in America today. When I watched the Cinecast and saw some of the "general effect" with some of the guards (Spirit's, Glassmen's, etc...), I was saddened that the designers felt the need to "go there" with these young ladies.

Anymore, it is getting harder and harder to find any "innocent" entertainment that is decent enough for young kids to watch. Even the movies that are MADE for them are inappropriate for them (Shrek 2, etc..). Too many "adult in-jokes" and sexual humor... Yes, they are going to learn about it eventually, but for goodness sakes, LET THEM BE KIDS!! We only have so little precious time until they are all grown up and moved out, let us enjoy it, and let them be innocent, is that too much to ask? Apparently, it is. Sex is everywhere these days (because that's what people are attracted to..self included here, I'm just a guy...). It's just sad that we have come to this.

Now, don't get me wrong...What I saw from Spirit's and Glassmen's guards weren't downright nasty or anything...but when kids see things like that, they ask questions, and it's something they really shouldn't have to think about at their age...

OK, don't know why I'm even typing this...After all, I clicked on the link that said, "Hooters drumcorps", so I'm just as guilty (again, I'm just a guy). But, I'm also not a child (physically at least, lol) and I just think we can do entertainment without having to "go there".

Just my 2 cents...

Oh, and sorry to bring the thread down... :unsure:

Sigh...I know this thread was meant in jest, but this reminded me of something that really bothered me while watching the Cinecast this year. It seems like the guards in drumcorps are getting more and more sexual each year. This, to me, is inappropriate, especially considering the age of the performers and the age of the audience who sees them. I mean, I really wanted to bring my son to the Denton, Texas contest this year, but I couldn't afford it. So, he stayed with my folks while my wife and I went. Well, after seeing the Cadets' "Red queen", I was GLAD he wasn't there to see it. Very inappropriate attire, in my opinion (yes, I'm a "prude"), and it's just more evidence of the sexualization of young people in America today. When I watched the Cinecast and saw some of the "general effect" with some of the guards (Spirit's, Glassmen's, etc...), I was saddened that the designers felt the need to "go there" with these young ladies.

Anymore, it is getting harder and harder to find any "innocent" entertainment that is decent enough for young kids to watch. Even the movies that are MADE for them are inappropriate for them (Shrek 2, etc..). Too many "adult in-jokes" and sexual humor... Yes, they are going to learn about it eventually, but for goodness sakes, LET THEM BE KIDS!! We only have so little precious time until they are all grown up and moved out, let us enjoy it, and let them be innocent, is that too much to ask? Apparently, it is. Sex is everywhere these days (because that's what people are attracted to..self included here, I'm just a guy...). It's just sad that we have come to this.

Now, don't get me wrong...What I saw from Spirit's and Glassmen's guards weren't downright nasty or anything...but when kids see things like that, they ask questions, and it's something they really shouldn't have to think about at their age...

OK, don't know why I'm even typing this...After all, I clicked on the link that said, "Hooters drumcorps", so I'm just as guilty (again, I'm just a guy). But, I'm also not a child (physically at least, lol) and I just think we can do entertainment without having to "go there".

Just my 2 cents...

Amen.

Just my 2 cents...

Dunno when you last marched in DCI, but "innocent" and "drum corps kids" should never be in the same sentence. lol Find an honest member of a top 12 corps and ask him or her to rattle off just a few bus stories. When you're an adolescent on tour with half-naked members of the opposite (or same?) sex around you day in and day out, things tend to happen.

...a lot.

:unsure:

Having had friends who've marched in quite a few different Div 1 corps out there, I'd venture to say that it's a universal thing at that level. But hey, it's part of growing up, right? :)

Edited by BlooooContra

Just my 2 cents...

I guess it comes down to personal taste. I know I have seen many high school shows with immodest costumes and choreography. Sexual content is certainly nothing new to the drum corps activity either. Garfield's guard wore "hot pants" as early as 1977. Velvet Knights (not to be confused with "VK") had the "sex cymbals" and a girl in the white bikini in 1987. Phantom Regiment had its Bacchanale "orgy" in 1991. (I suppose it is up to the beholder to determine whether or not a girl in a bikini is appropriate for a show about going to the beach in southern California.)

Sex is a natural part of life, and like it or not, it is an aspect of society and a subject of art. And I'm not talking about MODERN society and art, but society and art through the ages. If you don't believe me, go to any major art museum. Like painting and sculpture, drum corps is also an art form. But I would say that sexual content is probably much less prevalent in the drum corps activity than in most other art forms.

In the end, we are all consumers and have the freedom to choose to patronize DCI or to not patronize DCI. If ANYTHING about the activity offends someone that much, I suggest that he or she not patronize the activity.

If sexual content is the issue, there's always the Commandant's Own Marine Drum & Bugle Corps.

Dunno when you last marched in DCI, but "innocent" and "drum corps kids" should never be in the same sentence. lol Find an honest member of a top 12 corps and ask him or her to rattle off just a few bus stories. When you're an adolescent on tour with half-naked members of the opposite (or same?) sex around you day in and day out, things tend to happen.

...a lot.

:unsure:

Having had friends who've marched in quite a few different Div 1 corps out there, I'd venture to say that it's a universal thing at that level. But hey, it's part of growing up, right? :)

Uh yea... what he said LOL