Hooters Drum Corps

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did public executions but we got rid of those years ago.

Thanks for the history lesson.

Sigh...I know this thread was meant in jest, but this reminded me of something that really bothered me while watching the Cinecast this year. It seems like the guards in drumcorps are getting more and more sexual each year. This, to me, is inappropriate, especially considering the age of the performers and the age of the audience who sees them. I mean, I really wanted to bring my son to the Denton, Texas contest this year, but I couldn't afford it. So, he stayed with my folks while my wife and I went. Well, after seeing the Cadets' "Red queen", I was GLAD he wasn't there to see it. Very inappropriate attire, in my opinion (yes, I'm a "prude"), and it's just more evidence of the sexualization of young people in America today. When I watched the Cinecast and saw some of the "general effect" with some of the guards (Spirit's, Glassmen's, etc...), I was saddened that the designers felt the need to "go there" with these young ladies.

Anymore, it is getting harder and harder to find any "innocent" entertainment that is decent enough for young kids to watch. Even the movies that are MADE for them are inappropriate for them (Shrek 2, etc..). Too many "adult in-jokes" and sexual humor... Yes, they are going to learn about it eventually, but for goodness sakes, LET THEM BE KIDS!! We only have so little precious time until they are all grown up and moved out, let us enjoy it, and let them be innocent, is that too much to ask? Apparently, it is. Sex is everywhere these days (because that's what people are attracted to..self included here, I'm just a guy...). It's just sad that we have come to this.

Now, don't get me wrong...What I saw from Spirit's and Glassmen's guards weren't downright nasty or anything...but when kids see things like that, they ask questions, and it's something they really shouldn't have to think about at their age...

OK, don't know why I'm even typing this...After all, I clicked on the link that said, "Hooters drumcorps", so I'm just as guilty (again, I'm just a guy). But, I'm also not a child (physically at least, lol) and I just think we can do entertainment without having to "go there".

Just my 2 cents...

Oh, and sorry to bring the thread down... :rock:

Appropriateness is ALWAYS a consideration for any youth activity, especially when they are being televised from coast-to-coast!! I judge indoor guard and marching band and if I something inappropriate (VERY rarely), whether it be the subject matter or the amount of skin showing... I make darn sure I mention it on my tape, I can't imagine that DCI doesn't do the same. There is such a thing as design choice, but dressing up kids like $5 tricks is quite another. What exactly is "sexual" about drum corps that you find so offensive. Drum corps is probably one of the most kid-friendly shows out there. And just for the record... Shrek 2 is rated PG, that means it was not intended for small children to see.

Not only the judges but the first couple rows IF there isn't a track between the stands and football field.

I think that is as good a reason to make sure that there is never a track between the field and the stands.

The happy side benefit is that the corps would be closer to the fans.

It must be a slow day on DCP when a ridiculous 2 month-old topic is revisited.

The Hooters concept - other than just wishful thinking as a fan of the restaurant and the wait staff - really is brought up as more a foray into the discussion of the commercialization of the activity.

Frankly, I'm surprised that Yamaha or Pearl or Dynasty hasn't gone off and started their own drum corps a la Star of Indiana. Me thinks it isn't too far off

HOOTERS RULES!!!! Hitting a field near you in the the near future-

No, but if you want to run on the field and join in on their drill......go ahead !! :worthy:

Ever since I watched this I have been having second thoughts.

http://www.break.com/index/referee_gets_beat_up_by_fans.html

Mom