The Academy

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job, but Div I is filled with recent Div II corps that "could highly compete with any of the 8 - 12 place corps in Div I". The recent additions of Blue Stars (14th), Capital Regiment (16th), Mandarins (17th), Seattle Cascades (19th) and Esperanza (22nd) have made the non-finalist much stronger and more entertaining, but none have performed finals night. Capital Regiment felt they'd taste finals by now but they hit a wall with a 16th place finish. Many said Blue Stars were a lock for finals, but they'll be doing well to repeat at 14th next year. It seems to get harder for these corps, not easier. I'm sure all the rest were thinking finals as well. The fact is that the top 12 (even the top 17) corps are better than you think. Southwind couldn't make semi's and their brass line was much better than The Academy's. Of course, this never stops the latest Div II champion from feeling they're finals material.

Nothing against the Academy, but my skepticism is based on historical reality.

Many of these corps haven't designed a finals worthy show yet. That's probably more why they haven't made finals. Also, ability to make finals and stability are two different things.

Edited by jjeffeory

They're a 13-23rd place hornline EASILY. Top 12...I'd be willing to say the bottom tier of Finalist corps.

That's a cute bias, but not reality.

So you're saying The Academy brass line would have EASILY beat Colts, Blue Stars, Crossmen and Capital Regiment would fit in somewhere with Carolina Crown, Madison Scouts, Boston Crusaders, Glassmen or Spirit from JSU?

You see, it's that kind wacko thinking that gets these Div II corps into trouble. The reality is they would have been beat by all the semi-finalist and many (like Southwind) that didn't make semi's. That said, they had a great year for a Div II corps.

So you're saying The Academy brass line would have EASILY beat Colts, Blue Stars, Crossmen and Capital Regiment would fit in somewhere with Carolina Crown, Madison Scouts, Boston Crusaders, Glassmen or Spirit from JSU?

You see, it's that kind wacko thinking that gets these Div II corps into trouble. The reality is they would have been beat by all the semi-finalist and many (like Southwind) that didn't make semi's. That said, they had a great year for a Div II corps.

Umm... What I heard from Academy, there hornline IS semis caliber. Percussion and Guard is lack but the hornline is not.

It's that kind of WACKO thinking that keeps people from giving the proper credit to div II/III corps. Need proof? Tell me ONE person that said Blue Stars would beat Crossmen at the begining of the season. Not one! What did people say; They where only the 3rd place Div II corps, they don't know what it is like to be Div I.

Truth is, Academy would of smoked some of the Semi finalist hornlines.

And we'll see where they are 5 years from now. One year of success really doesn't mean anything. Glassmen were 5th place in 98,99 and 01. Much of the drum corps community thought they had the best shot at being the next new Champion. They were wrong. It's great that Academy had a great hornline one year. But that in no way means that the whole corps is ready for a division change.

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

Many of these corps haven't designed a finals worthy show yet. That's probably more why they haven't made finals. Also, ability to make finals and stability are two different things.

You hit the nail right on the head!!!!!

There just aren't enough "highly talented" show designers to go around to allow more corps to become competetive at the level of the top six. Show design is way more important in today's world than the talent level of the kids marching it. There are many schools of higher learning where you study the teaching music and dance, but I know of no schools where you can go to learn how to design field shows. So this stortage of talent will not go away any time soon....

Yup, I'm saying that. Academy's book had demand that simply wasn't matched by a corps outside of the top 12. They pulled it off.

I'm far from biased. I marched one of those corps that I said Academy's hornline could beat.

The key for Academy to remain successful is to have staff stay intact and have a solid membership returning from year to year. It sounds like they have the financial side of things under wraps.

Bandmaster/Jjeffeory nailed it about Glassmen. They were successful in the early 2000s through good show design. 2003 all but killed their momentum.

Edited by ampfan

And we'll see where they are 5 years from now. One year of success really doesn't mean anything. Glassmen were 5th place in 98,99 and 01. Much of the drum corps community thought they had the best shot at being the next new Champion. They were wrong. It's great that Academy had a great hornline one year. But that in no way means that the whole corps is ready for a division change.

Go back and read my post. All I was saying is that they had a semis quality hornline. I said nothing about them needing to move to div I.

Wish it was like the days when I marched, I got to march prelims, finals, quarters and beat a few div I corps throughout the season on the same sheets.