To the Cadets of 2006...

Just got back from Madison. I am soooo glad I enjoy Drum Corps for its' entertainment value and don't get caught up in foolishness. I really liked Cadets show, the drum parts were sweet, and the table-jumping, while kind of out there, was fun to watch. I don't care for singing in drum corps, but the vocalist is talented and the voice blended with the music rather well. I rather liked the red queen, too. ^0^ Nice show, anywhere from 4th to 6th for placement would have been appropriate IMO. Just a great year for DCI, across the board. One last thing, I don't see Hopkins' vision really changing the shows of the other 22 corps all that much, the Cadets have seemed to find an eccentric niche that is all their own. The differences in style between many of the corps is part of what makes the activity truly interesting!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One rough year from the design standpoint and you're talking like that? Every single member I talked to after a meeting with Hopkins last week at Hononegah High School said that any misconceptions or hesitations about next year were completely washed away and that even though everybody was tired and sore and ready to go home and sleep in their own beds, PLENTY of members said they were already excited for next year. So shut up is what I'm trying to say.

Maybe your "agree or shut up" attitude is why you don't know the real feelings of some of the members.

I’ll give the members of the Cadets big props for some great moments in the show and, honestly, I thought they put it out there on Saturday night. I know I am in the minority, but I liked the ballad… well, the music and even the singing, but visually I had a major issue with almost the entire show. As someone who thought the show last year was brilliant, I have to say I remain perplexed that Hopkins and his team put this show design forward as their best effort. I saw it 8 times this year and, even at the NJ/PA shows, it failed miserably at connecting with the audience. This was not the fault of the members, but the show designers. The show last year was certainly controversial and polarizing, but it still connected very well with the audience (well, except for the Cadets haters). This show didn’t connect even with many loyal Cadets followers, which is a shame. Hopkins and team totally missed the mark this year (I honestly thought they should have finished 6th behind SCV), but the corps members still performed their hearts out. I only wish their talents were better utilized and hope the Cadets’ staff reverses this next year… for the benefit of the fans and the members. And, in attempting to explain the poor reception and disappointing placement, I hope the Cadets staff doesn’t hide behind the “well we have a young corps” argument… I don’t buy it -- It wasn’t the members it was the show!

I’ll give the members of the Cadets big props for some great moments in the show and, honestly, I thought they put it out there on Saturday night. I know I am in the minority, but I liked the ballad… well, the music and even the singing, but visually I had a major issue with almost the entire show.

I think the Cadets had enough big props this year :worthy:

But seriously...I actually did like the ballad piece, but I couldn't hear the singer AT ALL from where I was sitting, which was admittedly in the upper deck. But where I sit should not matter. Unless they intend to deny the "cheap seats" the pleasuring of hearing the entire spectrum of the music, which I highly doubt.

That is correct. But so far its been going one way, and that really sucks!

That is what the ignore feature is for.

Try being quiet about things you don't know anything about. Quite simply, you are wrong.

Huh? Nobody has ever made geometric shapes and boxes before? Where is the revolution in that?

By the way, the design of the show is not what the corps are judged on... The performers are what really counts!

Well, yes, but if a corps goes out on the field with some show like, oh I don't know,

"Your Favorite Childhood Piano Music",

and their rep is Chopsticks, Heart and Soul, with the closer as that song you can play on the black keys with your hand in a fist,

and they are really committed to doing an authentic performance of the music,

and they have a giant pair of chopsticks on the field, along with hearts for half the guard, and wispy flags for the other half,

and then in the closer they form a giant fist form and rotate it in similar motion to the way you play the song,

dressed in bubble wrap uniforms, because, hey, what kid doesn't like bubble wrap,

and the drum solo consists of some really skillful popping of some bubbles on some of the members . . .

I am not sure that even if it was performed to a level unimagined as ever having existed before, that they would be successful with the judging community.

Now, obviously this is an extreme exaggeration, but you get the idea right? There is quite a bit of correlation between design and competitive success.