To the Cadets of 2006...

Cadets 06, a show alot of people will remember for years to come.

One thing I noticed sitting in the stands this year during finals was crowd reaction to Cadets. Most people were predetermined not to the Cadets show. You could hear it in the lack of applause when they announced "ON THE FIELD.....THE CADETS". They had the weakest reception of probably any of the 23 corps in DI.

I did notice throughout the week, that during the show, more and more people started to like some elements of the show. You could hear the applause many different times after impact points, and amazing guard work. But then if you noticed the people they kind of had that..Oh wait, I'm not supposed to reward this show with applause type look.

I have to say I was kind of disappointed in the crowd. Alot of people also didn't stand after their performance was complete. Unfortunately, some of these people were even in my group that I was sitting with, and I had tickets through one of the corps on finals night.

I did really like some of the changes they put in during the year, and I like the fact that although the crowd and judges did not reward them, they didn't change the whole concept of the show. And while there were parts I too didn't care for about their show, I have to admit they were the 2nd most entertaining corps there behind Cavaliers to me.

And I did have a long chat with the young kid working their souvie booth on Saturday. He came up and asked me what I thought about their show as I was looking over their dvds. I told him exactly what I would have told anyone else, that I enjoyed their show, but would enjoy it more without the narration. I have to admit I even enjoyed the ballad with the vocals, that song is kind of haunting, and the young singer does have amazing voice and control. He told me he was glad someone liked it because as he told me(his exact words) "Everyone else hates us" I almost thought he was about to cry.

REgardless of placement or peoples thoughts on the show design, this show was executed extremely well, and that guard was absolutely amazing. I did like their show a little better last year from a design standpoint, and to be honest, I honestly hope they don't do a part 3 next year. But overall I really enjoyed their show this season.

NICE JOB CADETS!!!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you said "I don't mean to compare the two" but you did it anyway

Please don't compare him to Jim Jones, or Hitler for that matter

Pick some other analogy.

And BTW - I'm no fan of the man. But geez.

Well, his whole analogy was that a small handful of people liking someone does not really mean they are good. To make that analogy he had to pick someones who was not good, yet people followed. So no matter who it was, it would have to be someone we now don't like.

He told you what he did and did not mean by the analogy. Any further reading into it is the fault of the reader.

I've never seen someone say

"I hate the Cavaliers!"

"Why?"

"Because of their members...they just strike me the wrong way!"

"What, all 135 of them?"

"Yeah, they're all ########!"

Actually, there IS one corps I feel that way about, and it's not the Cavaliers. And no, I won't say who it is. Granted, it's just me being stereotypical, but hey, we all have our weaknesses.

What's not cool? I SAID I wasn't comparing George to Jim Jones.

The point that I think you missed is that...just because people think someone is amazing does not necessarily make them so.

I understand your uber-sensitivity where the Cadets are concerned, but you read too much into it.

1.Need to be sure to clarify that you were NOT talking about the late Jim Jones, founder of the Troopers.

2. I would compare George Hopkins to the Troop's Jim Jones as visionaries.

3. The other mention of the cult leader's comparison is over the top.

Just a note; I marched Troop immediately after the People's Temple massacre. You would NOT believe the jokes about the Kool-Aid we always had on the busses.....

Actually, there IS one corps I feel that way about, and it's not the Cavaliers. And no, I won't say who it is. Granted, it's just me being stereotypical, but hey, we all have our weaknesses.

Agreed. . .we all do to some extent. I think it is very naive to think noone hates a corps just because of who they are. I have been guilty of it in the past, and I know I was not alone during that time.

Alright, if people feel that way about it, I'll remove it.

I really wish you didn't. I am kinda of sick of the Cadet Borg being so offended by everything said about the Cadets that you actually have to change what you feel to accomodate them. If they don't like what you have to say, let them kiss your big brass..... :unsure:

I didn't feel that way about it, can my opinion carry the same weight as the borgs?

Edited by deftguy

I really wish you didn't. I am kinda of sick of the Cadet Borg being so offended by everything said about the Cadets that you actually have to change what you feel to accomodate them.

Yeah, no kidding! It's getting so that you can't even compare their director to a mass murdering cult leader! It's political correctness gone mad!

I saw the show for the first time on Friday night. Man... It was trippy. I was REALLY entertained. Im not quite sure I followed the story exactly, but I really enjoyed the show. BTW, the groovy groove in the groove solo was quite groovetastic. It may have been the grooviest percussion moment this year.

I really wish you didn't. I am kinda of sick of the Cadet Borg being so offended by everything said about the Cadets that you actually have to change what you feel to accomodate them. If they don't like what you have to say, let them kiss your big brass..... :unsure:

I didn't feel that way about it, can my opinion carry the same weight as the borgs?

This kind of thinking definitely goes both ways.