Suggestion for DCI...

It is the job of the corps staffs to 'call them out'. They obviously have the sheets and criteria.

Exactly. What do you think critique is, a tea party?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I think it would be nice to have the criteria posted, I am a bit flabbergasted at the amount of people who, not knowing the exact criteria, assume that there MUST be some sort of foul play and cover up going on. Do people really believe there's some sort of grand conspiracy that exists?

Glen, IMO, this is what happens when you keep things from others. If you won't explain what you do and how you do it to the general public, most people think there is some sort of conspiracy.

As in most things, there is no conspiracy. DCI has a way of doing things, that I am positive can be justified and explained, they just choose to be very general about explaining things. I agree with Nik on this one... open up the judging sheets and explain to us how and why they are doing things. Allow the fans to know more about the judging system. Yes, you open yourself up to more criticism, but you also eleminate the nasty comnspiracy rumors and gain the trust of the fans.

Edited by Newseditor44

I'm not sure they always come out of critique understanding more than they did before about how a corps is being judged.

IMO, if they aren't, they're not doing it right. In my experience, critique serves two constructive functions: to understand the number you got and, if necessary, to "pitch" your show/caption to the judge in question. Non-constructive functions include discussing the weather, poking fun at them for wearing the same dirty shirt for three days in a row, exchanging information on where the local Chili's is, and, if it comes to it, having a screaming match.

I know at least some get into heated arguments in critique. I'm not sure they always come out of critique understanding more than they did before about how a corps is being judged.

A lot of times the judges confuse themselves with 'super directors' by telling the corps how they should redesign their show. If the corps don't agree to make the now required changes, they can create an enemy judge that can last for years. If you have some insight to how corps are judged, the corps know the judges that like them and those that don't. So, you work the politics to make more 'friends'. The current system started off ok, but it's a ridiculous system at this point and it has nothing to do with points. There's just zero judging accountability. The fact that Cavies lost Visual GE to Phantom and Phantom lost Music GE to the Cavies shows the complete lack of accountability.

It would also be cool if DCI had "Open Critique" for certain shows. I.e. an online feature where one judge explains why he/she scored corps X a certain way. They could do this once per caption each season. I think it would really help build fan interest.

Either that, or make them public targets of ridicule and derision.

But see, by them posting those up they are then REQUIRED to follow the criteria, whereas, if we are kept in the dark then there's nothing for us to call them out on.

Even if the sheets were posted, what qualifies you to call them out? It's all a matter of one persons opinion even if he has guidelines to follow. Only absoulutes came from ticks.

It would also be cool if DCI had "Open Critique" for certain shows. I.e. an online feature where one judge explains why he/she scored corps X a certain way. They could do this once per caption each season. I think it would really help build fan interest.

Good idea. I've also been of the opinion that DCI should personalize these judges with the public. Publish their names and a profile in the DCI Champioship Guide for folks attending Finals. Tell us a little about these folks. ie their training, full time occupation, what Corps they've marched, taught, seminars they've given, corporate endorsements, their education , where they call home, hobbies, and so forth. Who could possibly be against this ? This should go a long way to eliminating any vestiges of conspiracy or politics that could be out there among some fans.

Edited by X DM

This is not a good idea. Some people are nuts and would take their anger/frustration out on that particular judge they had a beef with.

If I were a DCI judge, I would like as little "contact" with the drum corps public as possible.