March TROOPERS in 2007!

I'm sure there are fans out there that remember when the Troopers used to announce their entrance to the field with the "CHARGE" motive being played on a single bugle. Doing so again in 2007 would not only be nostalgic, but a great way to say "we're back" and get the crowd excited.

That is just the opening my son and I were talking about last night. They gotta do it that way! :laugh::blink::blink:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF, you were there to live through those years of the Combine and early DCI, you would realize what this group of men did to envision what needed to happen to let it survive . . . Drum corps would be a bunch of small corps marching in local parades today if not for what transpired in the early 70's.
That is the 35-year-old Big Lie, and I was there, all through it.

I witnessed puzzlement, hurt and disbelief within corps that the Combine founders/leaders purposefully excluded from their self-serving oh-so-exclusive closed club without offering one word of public explanation or apology to the other 500-plus corps which then existed.

Drum Corps didn't need fixing in 1969 . . . it was alive, vital and thriving all across North America with dozens upon dozens of contests everywhere each weekend.

A curious coincidence about "legends" real or imagined:

Germany is struggling with the sudden revelation that its most celebrated living novelist, legendary Nobel Peace laureate Guenter Grass - author of "The Tin Drum", a book critical of Germans who collaborated in Hitler's regime - was himself in the horrific, feared Waffen SS. Living a lie for 60 years, he'd previously admitted to serving only as an ordinary soldier.

The Combine was an exclusionary clique that purposefully, openly and without apology barred the vast majority of the many drum corps that then existed from Combine membership, a deed which hardly exemplifies the American ideal of equality and opportunity for all.

Are you the person who wrote the "break between classic and modern corps" entry on the "drum and bugle corps (classic)" page on Wikipedia? :blink:

Anyway, best of luck in '07, Troopers! I'll be cheering for ya, and wearing my gear.

And for those of you who love the Troopers, don't forget to visit their on-line sheep wagon and vote with your dollars! :worthy:

Didn't bother to read the thread, just the title.

Just because a corps makes a "comeback" every other year with a mediocre show doesn't mean I have to applaud the loudest for them.

Get your s h i t together, Troopers! MAKE me love you guys again.

Let's review the dark side of drum corps history for a moment.

The then-leaders of the Troopers were one of the main proponents and instigators behind the elitist and shadowy Combine at the beginning of the 1970s,.

The Combine was an exclusionary clique that purposefully, openly and without apology barred the vast majority of the many drum corps that then existed from Combine membership, a deed which hardly exemplifies the American ideal of equality and opportunity for all.

:feednotroll: :feednotroll: :feednotroll: :feednotroll: :feednotroll: :feednotroll:

That is the 35-year-old Big Lie, and I was there, all through it.

I witnessed puzzlement, hurt and disbelief within corps that the Combine founders/leaders purposefully excluded from their self-serving oh-so-exclusive closed club without offering one word of public explanation or apology to the other 500-plus corps which then existed.

Drum Corps didn't need fixing in 1969 . . . it was alive, vital and thriving all across North America with dozens upon dozens of contests everywhere each weekend.

A curious coincidence about "legends" real or imagined:

Germany is struggling with the sudden revelation that its most celebrated living novelist, legendary Nobel Peace laureate Guenter Grass - author of "The Tin Drum", a book critical of Germans who collaborated in Hitler's regime - was himself in the horrific, feared Waffen SS. Living a lie for 60 years, he'd previously admitted to serving only as an ordinary soldier.

Just looked at your bio...

Sounds like some bitterness, eh? Did Troopers clean your corps clock on a regular basis?

Do not forget that VFW and AL were starting to pull out of support of the activity due to Vietnam and the anti-war feelings of that era; and that the corps themselves did not have ANY voice in the direction of their activity.

Had the activity stayed where it was, it would have gotten swept up (unfortunately) in the anti-war sentiment (due to being closely associated with these groups; and this is no aspersions on either the VFW or the AL..just our national sickness at that time :( ) along with the other problems at that time; and imperfect as it may be right now there would be NO drum corps.

And what in the blazes does Nazi Germany have to do with drum corps???? (And please do not say Wagner and Phantom...)

One more thing...DO NOT SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT JIM JONES!!! I knew the man; and he is both a legend and a hero. And not just in drum corps either. Sorry, but I take offense.

And speaking of sponsors that pulled out of the activity well before the onset of the DCI era ... both the Cadets and Boston lost their church sponsorships all the way back in the 50s.

edit: reworded for clarity

Edited by Orpheus

You are WRONG on both counts!!

Ditto that.

Anyone who's never heard of the Troopers is either VERY new to the activity or has been living in a cave for an awful long time. A bit like someone suggesting that most people never heard of the New York Yankees or the Dallas Cowboys. Incredible!