Crowd favorites 1987-2006

But most of people my age and older are the ones going to shows and buying merchandise. If corps do not start appealing to the people who pay for it, numbers will start (and already have) going down, along with the dollars.

Sorry to disappoint you, bud, but you and I are not DCI's target audience. Check this out:

http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?r.../0608120132.php

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what it is - but the Cavs always seem to have TONS of girls screaming for them. Now, figure how loud your average girl yells as compared to how loud your average guy yells....put the two together, and the Cavs will have the loudest reaction every time (this used to be true of the Scouts, but has diminshed as of late). Sadly, standing ovations are handed out like candy at a parade by finals crowds, so that's not a good way to base it. In fact, it's important to remmember that this is about more than just the last three shows of the season.

Honestly, no show from 01 stands out (Cavies maybe, but that was a lot of screaming girls), and probably SCV in 04.

If you want to list Bluecoats - your best bet is to focus around 00-02 (those were immensely popular shows).

You guys that are choosing PR as the 2006 favorite, what are you basing it on? If you're basing it on personal reaction, count me in for PR, too. They're my favorite show of the year, and one of a very few that go down with my favorite shows ever.

But if you're basing it on crowd reaction during finals week, I'd have to say Cavvies. PR's crowd reaction was great, but from where I was sitting, Cavvies' was just a notch higher.

But that was where you were sitting. PR had many standing O's and you could barely hear the announcer before he even said from Rockford, Il. Phantom definately had the crowd won IMO.

Sadly, standing ovations are handed out like candy at a parade by finals crowds,

Why is that "sadly"? It means one of two things, both good:

1. The quality of all the corps is fantastic.

2. The audience realizes how much effort and good old-fashioned hard work the kids put in and want to reward it.

The longest chord in the Cadets 1997 show is 5 seconds. Madison's longest chord that year was 6 times longer than that. They're playing as loud as they can, but it's completely inaudible. Hmm... :P
Well then try listening to Crossmen 97 then. The only way in the history of the world that you would say their last note which is just as long as Madison is inaudible, is because the crowd was so LOUD that you weren't sure if you were listening to the crowd or the corps. I've heard Madison '97, I wasn't there. And from listening to both I'd have to say that 1997 goes for a tie with Madison and Xmen.

Awesome, maybe...but not 2002. "Red" was 2000. It's quasi-sequal "Bravo" was 2003. 2002 was "You Are My Star"...the patriotic show.

Oh, I thought the 2002 show was called bring on the cheese :P . All in good fun. Nice sounding hornline.

As for people saying 2002 Cadets people weren't into, I just so happened to watch my finals dvd yesterday of them, and that is totally untrue. If you weren't shouting as loud as possible during some parts of their show, then you were the only one. I remember being lined up behind the stadium getting ready for retreat and hearing the shear noise from the audience.

And because I'm basically very biased, lets not forget Crossmen 2003. Another long chord at the end, solo guard work with nothing musical happening, and we basically had 2 closers with Blue Rondo and Count Bubba. Good year.

2006 - Madison Scouts Alumni Reunion Corps! :blink::worthy::worthy:

Good answer! :)

And I would add the following....

87 SCV

88 Madison

89 Phantom

90 Cavaliers

91 Cavaliers

92 Madison/Blue Devils

93 Phantom

94 Madison

95 Madison

96 Phantom

97 Madison

98 SCV

99 Madison

00 Cadets

01 Madison

02 Cavaliers

03 Phantom

04 SCV

05 Phantom/Bluecoats

06 See above...and Phantom

Sorry to disappoint you, bud, but you and I are not DCI's target audience. Check this out:

http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?r.../0608120132.php

Eight-thousand young people tried out for what were essentially 3,500 Division I spots last year.

OK, my math is bad but...........4500 left-overs divided by 135 = 33 corps worth of young people that maybe didn't march 'cuz they couldn't be in Div I??? :blink: