Victory at Sea

Funny that these titles should come up ... the community orchestra that I'm in is just finishing up a Pops series with starting with The Sea Hawk and ending with Victory at Sea in the line up. Last performance is tomorrow :) Nice charts! I'd love to hear a Drum Corps play those two.

Anchors Aweigh! Pops Concert

The Sea Hawk Overture

Water Music

The Little Mermaid Suite

Sea Songs March

Blue Danube Waltz

Swan Lake Ballet

- Intermission -

Pirates of the Caribbean

Moon River

Hook

Anchor and Star March

Ebb Tide

Victory at Sea

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone of the Coastal Corps. Trust me! :lol:

wordriderTerrance

Couldn't agree more with your taste in music, but if you were in Madison for DCI 2006, you can probably tell that there is no chance that a top 12 corps would risk playing something that's entertaining or musically interesting.

According to the corpsreps.com Web site, no corps has played the main VAS theme since about 1991. Can't say for the other pieces. "No Other Love" should be the theme song for some corps.

Jon

Watch 2 Errol Flynn movies:"Captain Blood(1935) and "The Sea Hawk(1940)". Throw in "Munity On The Bounty" from 1936. There is enough music scores in those 3 flicks to do a show, IMHO

Annie

Good call, Annie... :lol: and even if you don't like the music (which would be kinda silly to say to anyone here...) you will LOVE those old classic movies!

In fact... those go onto my "Movies for a rainy afternoon in November" list...

"Victory At Sea":

The New York Skyliners used one of the marches from the soundtrack as their Color Presentation in 1964. The CP's finale was a "Standstill" mini concert of the Victory at Sea "Main Theme". The Hawthorne Caballeros used "Guadalcanal March" from Victory at Sea in 1959.

The Selden Cadets used a number from the Victory at Sea Volume Two album called "Rings Around Rabaul" in 1965.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

No discussion of "Victory at Sea" would be complete without mentioning the 1972 Stockton Commodores, whose Jim Ott arranged nautical repertoire included "Mutiny on the Bounty, Naval Hym, Anchors Aweigh, Popeye the Sailor, and of course Victory at Sea."

DANG. Aaron... were you NOT sitting in the stands at DCI finals?? When the corps all came marching in??

...no... :(

...no... :(

Oh... :rolleyes: I thought you were there! Oh well...all is forgiven... heh!@

Skyliners played parts of Victory at Sea in the early 70s usual before their concert number. Sky was known for for a full brassy loud horn line (Hy Drietzer charts) and playing Victory was perfect for the corps. :rolleyes:

Sky Alumni has played it in the past and think it's being done in 2006. :)

It was a good old fashioned color presentation, and you can hear it at this year's alumni spectacular! Beautiful discords, beautiful melody performed by a wonderful alumni corps.

They call it " The Hymn to Victory "!

Another wonderful piece from Victory at Sea is " Beneath the Southern Cross ", also known as a popular Rodger's tune as " No Other Love Have I ".