13-23 Place Corps

What should DCI do, if anything?!?, to make the corps that finish "low" in the standings to feel important and successful? Personally, I do not see it as a failure for a Div II corps to "make the jump" to Div I, only to be in the group placed 18-23 who do not make semi-finals. With the upsurge in competitiveness over the last couple of years it is becoming increasingly difficult for a corps to make finals or even semi-finals.

Some of you might remember back in 2002 or 2003 DCI announced that the top 6 would be considered "World Class" corps (a separate division), and the rest would be Div I to address the image of the 6-12 pack.

I just feel that this needs to be addressed, finishing at or near the bottom of Div I shouldn't be considered a failure by the public or the corps.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, at least we get the hear our hard work and effort that DCI OBVIOUSLY recognizes on CD.

Oh wait.

Perhaps if 18-23 were treated as equals.... information was not given at the gate to these groups and some groups ended up with penalties.

After being on tour two years as staff, I see the underside of DCI. It's a place where your gods if you place in the top 6, cool if your top 12, and scum below that. Rules are not always the same. Procedures are never equal.

All members in all drum corps work in the same sun, travel the same, give blood sweat and tears the same....shouldn't they have some sort of recognition for thier efforts?!

don't flame me too much, I'm still burned from the summer....

Perhaps if 18-23 were treated as equals.... information was not given at the gate to these groups and some groups ended up with penalties.

After being on tour two years as staff, I see the underside of DCI. It's a place where your gods if you place in the top 6, cool if your top 12, and scum below that. Rules are not always the same. Procedures are never equal.

All members in all drum corps work in the same sun, travel the same, give blood sweat and tears the same....shouldn't they have some sort of recognition for thier efforts?!

Quoted for truth.

QF to the motha ####in T! It's pisses me off, they way DCI acts about corps like mine...

Yes and no. We all agree that all drum corps members work in the same sun, travel the same, etc. etc. However, the reality is, it's all about the competitive aspect of the activity. "Everyone loves a winner." (Well, almost everyone. Exclude me from that list. At least for 2006.) Actually, outside of who took first place at finals, most people will soon forget anything outside of the top five or six corps and scores. Cheer up, there's always next year!

I didn't intend for this topic to be a rant on how DCI mistreats 13-23rd place corps. I don't think there is any conspiracy or evil plan that DCI has to keep those corps where they are.

Back to the constructive comments, do you think these corps would benefit by creating a division between 1 and 2? Should DCI resurrect that idea about the "World Class"?

I didn’t use to, but I do think the idea of relegating the last place Div I corps to Div II is a bad idea. If they have the funds and the capacity to tour as extensively as a Div I corps, then why not?

QF to the motha ####in T! It's pisses me off, they way DCI acts about corps like mine...
And you know in your heart that nothing will ever change in that respect.

It's time for another spin-off movement a la the infamous Combine , where the disenfranchised units organized separately with their own rules rather than being subservient to the Powers That Be.

I'm not praising the Combine - far from it - which was an ultimately harmful self-serving clique that snatched failure from the jaws of 1960s Golden Age prosperity. The question is, will all the smoldering anger under today's DCI Glass Ceiling ever produce any meaningful actions other than occasional whining on DCP?

And you know in your heart that nothing will ever change in that respect.

And the fact that I'm agreeing with you on this comment, makes me sad.

(Because of the comment itself, not because of you specifically.)