Could an undersized corps ever win D1 championships

If you cut the membership numbers in half, in order to compete, you would have to double the demand of the show.

So, in essence, if we had pristine quality on the hardest drum corps show ever, then, yeah. I think we could see a 60 person champion. But, it would all have to do with making the show near impossible.

Sounds like a great challenge.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would tend to say that if you had 100 of the best musicians and performs in the entire DCI field and the best show design for a 100 member corps, and the staff to get them to the excellence needed, a 100 member corps could do it. But as previously said, a 100 member corps would never get the top 100 members in DCI to be in thier corps as well as the top staff and such. So while i think its possible, it is however not plausable that it would actually occur.

Under the old "tick" system of judging it was possible. As one poster had previously mentioned, the Blessed Sac Golden Knights had tremendous success fielding a small corps. I remember seeing one show when I was about 6 years old, and BAC showed up with a powerhouse. Sac showed up with a corps that seemed like half their size and took the trophy. They were small, but they knew how to execute. With todays judging format, I can't see something like that happening, particularly in brass. The larger hornline has the advantage because ( I'm not being accusatory so don't flame me for this) it's easier for them to "hide" their mistakes. If two guys are on an elevator and one of them farts everybody knows who did it. :)

Mike D- Very true regarding '72 Anaheim. Their hornline was 'full' for it's day. For that matter, back in '54 when Sac had 17 horns, that was 'almost full'. At the turn of the century (106 yrs. ago ) it was common for there to be approx. 70% drums, and 30% brass, in a drum corps. Can you imagine seventy in the battery and 30 in the horn line today? B)

The last time one of the smallest corps in finals placed in the top five was back in 1975, when the Blue Stars, who were one of the three smallest corps there wound up in fifth place. And we're not talking about "small" corps here.....they had 100 members, but were outgunned by the majority of finalists that year.

The Blue Stars GE marks that year were lower than their fifth place ranking (5th visual/6th percussion/8th brass). It was thanks to the execution marks in marching (2nd place) that they were able to climb into the top five.