DCI Guard Champions

Malibu - what gives? I posted above, responding to you (look back on page 2 of this) - I was on the staff with 27th from 1980-83 - I was in Birmingham - blah blah blah.

Is not the unrefutable DCI guard trophies that I am curious about - it is the "non" published ones cited by GMichael. I've got some history with this thing going back to 73 as a member of 27th. I am a collector of sorts with all kinds of stuff. So, all I am asking is that there is some proof. I remember the powerful and amazing 1972 Kingsmen like it was yesterday. But there is no mention of a DCI CG trophy being mentioned anywhere as a legit award.

You know whats funny. I remember back in the mid eighties when discussion this list I was compiling, and talking to Dons both Angelica and Pesceone. The very thing I remember Angelica saying and Pesceone laughing was "You better hang on to that list because I dont know if there is anything other than our brains to confirm this information" And then Don Pesceone saying "we need to do something about that"

Which we know, was never done.

I hope you can find the proof that satisfies you. I wasnt around the activity back in 1972, I took these guys at their words, and then when it was confirmed later It was all I needed. Still all I needed. If you can find some type of proof/evidence that states otherwise ? then thats better for all of us, until then I am happy and satisfied in my list.

Nancy, Sue, Sandy ie: "My girls" I love you so very much and you can always speak for me. I trust you all, and you have been right on all accounts.

(Spirit was listed in the results because it was so ubeleivable the consistency they had in the mid eighties and barring the supernova 86 BD guard (that nights performance aside) SOA would have three consecutive guard trophies !! Amazing)

~G~

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nancy, Sue, Sandy ie: "My girls" I love you so very much and you can always speak for me. I trust you all, and you have been right on all accounts.

LOL, and to think I've actually debated you on some points (I think one might've been this whole recaps/GE/guard caption award issue), only to do a little more research and go, "Well, duh, he's right!" :P

Your comment about talking with both Dons and relying on their memory is a telling one. I think we all thought this stuff would be handed down over the years, and nobody would forget, but it's amazing to me how fallible our memories are. (I rely so much on stuff that was written down, either by me or somebody else.) Guess that's why eyewitness testimony is never foolproof.

Edited by byline

Is not the unrefutable DCI guard trophies that I am curious about - it is the "non" published ones cited by GMichael. I've got some history with this thing going back to 73 as a member of 27th. I am a collector of sorts with all kinds of stuff. So, all I am asking is that there is some proof. I remember the powerful and amazing 1972 Kingsmen like it was yesterday. But there is no mention of a DCI CG trophy being mentioned anywhere as a legit award.

Sorry, I--and maybe Malibu, too--thought you were disputing whether there was a guard award at all in the late '70 to early '80s. That's enough within my experience that I remember it, but I have no recollection of anything before that time, including the early '70s, which now I understand is the period of time you're questioning.

Another problem is that the one source that should have recorded this info is the DCI yearbook. I'm not sure when DCI first began publishing yearbooks; I've got them going back to '76. So you'd think that they would be the source we could rely on for this information. But even there, it's hit or miss. Sometimes the caption awards are mentioned, but other times they're not. And, as I've noted before, even if the recap was published in the yearbook, that's not necessarily any help because all that gives us is the raw data from the scores. Sometimes the recap didn't include the guard caption. And if it did, in the event of a tie (a couple of instances are cited in this thread), we don't have an official print archive of who actually received the awards. The caption awards should have been part of the DCI yearbook, just as the overall placements and scores were.

It was a year before LancerFi wore her boots, but I am hoping she will remember this, or ask some of the others that marched in 1975.

Now I understand what you're talking about, from inception to 75 in DCI - DOH

Unfortunately, and I dislike this part royally, we wore shoes the first 3 years.....UGH - pants!!!

But by the time October of 75 rolled around they were well broken in (marching in the Reveries) for the Columbus day parade. Or was it Veterans day? That was the the first and only time I wore my boots until 1979... :worthy: UGH!!

LancerLegend, what was the last parade of the year? In a lot of cases it was peoples first! Darlene and I went to pick up this young girl's uniform which would be mine (I think her name was Michele). I believe we went to Malden or Melrose. Do you remember her? I never knew her! She was the last rifle to be lassooed--- I mean to join after I decided---I mean Bobby McCafferty decided I needed a year off.... :worthy:

Ooow, ooow, LL did Billy Ronayne or George B ever tell you "the boot story" at my first parade?? That's what I get for being obsessive and asking too many questions!! UGH! I'll PM you if they didn't and you're interested! It was done in front of everyone so you probaby saw it!! What a way to start being Lola Lancer.

Edited by LancerFi

Now I understand what you're talking about, from inception to 75 in DCI - DOH

LancerLegend, what was the last parade of the year? In a lot of cases it was peoples first! Darlene and I went to pick up this young girl's uniform which would be mine (I think her name was Michele). I believe we went to Malden or Melrose. Do you remember her? I never knew her! She was the last rifle to be lassooed--- I mean to join after I decided---I mean Bobby McCafferty decided I needed a year off.... :worthy:

Ooow, ooow, LL did Billy Ronayne or George B ever tell you "the boot story" at my first parade?? That's what I get for being obsessive and asking too many questions!! UGH! I'll PM you if they didn't and you're interested! It was done in front of everyone so you probaby saw it!! What a way to start being Lola Lancer.

Sweatheart - thank goodness - yes, all of my queries are pre 1975. I was there for them and as you know, have some pretty good documentation ( and pictures of John2780.....). GMichael has some great info - but again - I was simply trying to get some sort of validation.

The "last" parade for which we were responsible for was the Columbus Day parade - since Columbus was not Irish - it was a big day in Revere. Not every county in Mass celebrates it, so not every employer was closed. As the corps continued to expand its member base, and less and less locals marched, the drum majors would make phones calls to re-enlist alumni to fill the ranks of the corps. It was, afterall, one of George B's proudest moments to walk with us in Revere. And if you didn't march that parade, there was something tied into the banquet.

I didn't march in 75, so if your "first" parade was the Columbus Day parade in Oct, I might not have known who's rifle uniform you got. A picture is worth a thousands words....or I could look it up in a Lancer contest book.

Start the word, next year is our 40th anniversary celebration. In October of '67, a dedicated group of young men and women...

FWIW - the actual first DCI Yearbook was published in 1973. It was pretty bland (all black & white cover to cover) compared to the modern day color masterpieces. It does not have recaps, just a blurb about each corps.

The 1974 Yearbook had a color cover of SCV guard doing their fabulous bottle dance. This issue is also black & white inside. Again, no recaps or scores.

FWIW - the actual first DCI Yearbook was published in 1973. It was pretty bland (all black & white cover to cover) compared to the modern day color masterpieces. It does not have recaps, just a blurb about each corps.

The 1974 earbook had a color cover of SCV guard doing their fabulous bottle dance. This issue is also black & white inside. Again, no recaps or scores.

I believe I bought my first yearbook in Philly in 1975....what a mistake not marching!

Anyway I always like our corps yearbook. I don't remember the first year. I don't believe they had one when my sisters marched those first few years.

I like our yearbooks but they don't seem to resemble any other corps' year book. Some have more information than high school yearbooks. I was shocked that they took professional pics, etc.

I have some very old 9 X 3s, the corps newspaper. It wasn't published often, but when it was, it was pretty funny! The earliest one I have were the years when Gary C, Jimmy Goff, Bobby McCafferty, Richie Sena etc. began their 2-7 careers moving from the Reveries. (I mention them because they were from Revere). I believe 69 or 70 are where mine begin.

Anyway, it's a shame that we did all of that work and were written into GE without our own caption. I'm sooo happy that is a separate specific caption now!

They should have really kept better records, but we do say that a lot about drum corps in general! Where's that Hall of Fame Museum going to be built, maybe a room in DCIs new Indiana home?? :P

And if you didn't march that parade, there was something tied into the banquet.

Start the word, next year is our 40th anniversary celebration. In October of '67, a dedicated group of young men and women...

Yep right, better march that ### #### parade! Hope he's recovering well! Sleeping on a board all of those years didn't work!

No, it isn't, 40 years? October 1967? You don't say? :worthy: :P

( and pictures of John2780.....).

I did march 1975. We won top color guard in Philly..Santa Clara's drumline were GODs as far as I was concerned (yes even you,Mike) and my daughter will not believe any pictures that LancerLegend can dig up !!!

Love to all

John

..... my daughter will not believe any pictures that LancerLegend can dig up !!!

Luckily, the negatives are not digital, and therefore cannot be erased accidentally. Lucky for me, bad for you?

Great memories with all of my photos, all of them. And it prooves we both had hair then too ! b**bs